Remove update notification

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Is it possible, in any way to remove the notification to update my S7E To Nougat?

After reading the many annoying issues with it I just don't want it. I have it set to not autoupdate, but very now and then it pops up to ask me. The notification icon just sits on the upper left corner.

So can this be removed, or am I stuck just trying to avoid it?

For all the so called open system, and customization Android touts, it feels pretty closed if we can't opt out of an update.

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I have to agree. The benefits of the update seem to outweigh the issues that don't plague everyone.

Having said that, I'm not sure there's any way to permanently remove the update notification. If your carrier is like mine, you won't be able to ignore the update indefinitely either. At some point, the update will just start. It has happened to me with two different devices. Better to do the update yourself, after backing up if you want, when you can plan to be on WiFi and have a full battery. You'll want WiFi because the update is more than 1.2GB, and likely counts against your data allowance.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Hmm ok thanks. I just don't like change, and don't want to start messing with themes to avert the big complaint of the too bright screens.

I guess I'll just ignore it as long as I can. Every thing important is either on the ext sd or in the cloud, if at some point the update overrides my ignoring

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
OK. Remember that the update can start at really any time. I took a different phone from my pocket last summer and found it updating to Marshmallow.

One of the things that can cause issues on updates is that the update file gets corrupted when the file is downloading over the wireless network. It can happen when the signal is handed from one tower to another as you move about. All it takes is one bad bit.

I wasn't sure I'd like this on Nougat, but this is the real deal. I was able to mitigate the bright screens by, yes, using a theme. I grabbed a free one from the theme store. It's no different than using a preinstalled theme.

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I get the update notification every day. I just set it to remind me again in 24 hours. Do it everyday. And I will continue to do it every day. It won't force you to update unless you click "Start Automatically" on that update screen.

I have everything set up with dark theme, neon icons, Nova grids, zooper widgets, everything the way I want. I have no desire for anything that N offers. Runs fine on MM - great battery life and no stutters.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
That's exactly my feeling. I love the phone as I have it all set up now, Nova launcher, my screens and widgets just like I like them. I do not have set to auto update, I just hit back button when the screen pops up, which is only like every few days.

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I kept doing just that, delaying the update. But when the first security update was released for the phones with MM, it forced the OS update. Two different Verizon techs and my employer's IT chief (a Sprint guy) told me that the updates get forced when they interfere with later updates. It could be different with your carrier.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I kept doing just that, delaying the update. But when the first security update was released for the phones with MM, it forced the OS update. Two different Verizon techs and my employer's IT chief (a Sprint guy) told me that the updates get forced when they interfere with later updates. It could be different with your carrier.

Ughhh well that sucks. My carrier is Vz

scrondar

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I, like the OP, have no interest in Nougat, and am daily bugged to update. I've read all the reviews I can find, threads on several forum sites, etc. I am perfectly happy with 6.01 and not interested in "getting used" to the idiosyncrasies of N. If eventually Verizon or Samsung force it, then I guess I'll deal with it then, but not until. FWIW, the jump from 5.1.1 to MM was painless and went just fine. That is NOT what I am reading about this upgrade, so no thanks.

MYKEL61

Jan 17, 2017
Visit site
I kept stalling it every time it popped up. Did this for about 2 weeks. Then this morning it just updated on its own without the "do you want to delay" or whatever it said. A few things I need to get used to that have changed, but over all so far not too bad, but then it hasn't even been 24 hours yet. Fingers crossed.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I kept stalling it every time it popped up. Did this for about 2 weeks. Then this morning it just updated on its own without the "do you want to delay" or whatever it said. A few things I need to get used to that have changed, but over all so far not too bad, but then it hasn't even been 24 hours yet. Fingers crossed.

Did you stall by saying later, or just back button to get the notification window gone, and just leaving it in the upper left corner?

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
That's how it happened for me last summer. I looked at my phone and found it part way through the install, when it was too late to stop it. Same thing for my daughter's phone.

If the VZW tech was right, then maybe that means that there's another update coming that needs Nougat. Like fixes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
textura