Sending video from s7 via text??

Rip

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
When I record a video and play it back on my s7 it's beautiful. When I share the video by text using the Messages app, the video received by others looks scrambled, digitized, crappy. What am I doing wrong?

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Your not doing anything wrong, photos and videos sent via text are always of lower quality, video actually looks like trash because of how they lower the resolution so far. It's a limitation from the cell towers imposed on all phones.

Posted via the Android Central App

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
When I record a video and play it back on my s7 it's beautiful. When I share the video by text using the Messages app, the video received by others looks scrambled, digitized, crappy. What am I doing wrong?

Set Google Photos to upload your pictures and videos and the you can just shared it or a full album to whomever you want and they will be able to watch it full resolution just like record it.

Rip

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Videos are uploaded to Google photos and I shared from there. Videos are still scrambled. Suggestions?

caveman84

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, this is the limitation of sms. This is one of the reasons i was reluctant to leave iOS because imessage doesnt compress videos and photos. Android has hangouts that could work for this purpose. Give google hangouts a try. Of course the reciever would have to be on hangouts as well

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Videos are uploaded to Google photos and I shared from there. Videos are still scrambled. Suggestions?

That doesn't sound good, I mean I have done that dozens of times and my pictures and videos can be seen at full resolution, can't think on any setting that can cause that.

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately, this is the limitation of sms. This is one of the reasons i was reluctant to leave iOS because imessage doesnt compress videos and photos. Android has hangouts that could work for this purpose. Give google hangouts a try. Of course the reciever would have to be on hangouts as well

Who told you imessage didn't compress videos? All you have to do is upload the videos to a cloud service and share it that way. The recipient will get the video without any compression. You gotta understand, videos and hi quality pics are very large files and exceed the sms size limitations

Last edited:

Bridget Booth

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
I've had problems with Google Photos and video, too. To be fair, I haven't tried it with my S7. I do, however, use OneDrive and back up videos there. When I share links, it plays back flawlessly. Iirc, I saw something about setting up a new OneDrive with a new S7 nets you some nice storage space. I've been really happy with OneDrive and how well it works with my Galaxy devices.

Rip

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
That doesn't sound good, I mean I have done that dozens of times and my pictures and videos can be seen at full resolution, can't think on any setting that can cause that.

Everyone else in my family uses iOS devices except for me. I took a lot of short videos of a family gathering the other day and I shared them with family members. No one could view them on their iOS devices! Every video looks great on my s7 but no one else can enjoy them!?! I tried sending a video to the Verizon Cloud and I was able to share it to an iOS device and it was clear but the video image was very small on the iOS device. I appreciate all suggestions and I really want to find a solution that allows me to use the s7's functionality seamlessly. Anyone else?

gnick yram

May 28, 2016
Visit site
I had a Galaxy s5 and LOVED that I could do a video and set it to limit it for MMS prior to videoing. It would allow me to do a video of about 1 minute or so and I could send it via text. Sadly, I HAD to get a new phone, s7, last week after Samsung pushed the 6.0 Marshmallow OS. It messed up the phone. My only option was to get a new phone. The Galaxy s7 does not seem to have a way to limit the video so that I can send as a text. Or if it does, I can't find out how. When I tried to do a 1 minute video to send via text, it was too large on there. Any suggestions?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I had a Galaxy s5 and LOVED that I could do a video and set it to limit it for MMS prior to videoing. It would allow me to do a video of about 1 minute or so and I could send it via text. Sadly, I HAD to get a new phone, s7, last week after Samsung pushed the 6.0 Marshmallow OS. It messed up the phone. My only option was to get a new phone. The Galaxy s7 does not seem to have a way to limit the video so that I can send as a text. Or if it does, I can't find out how. When I tried to do a 1 minute video to send via text, it was too large on there. Any suggestions?
Set the video to VGA. That's the smallest resolution the S7 camera takes.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Everyone else in my family uses iOS devices except for me. I took a lot of short videos of a family gathering the other day and I shared them with family members. No one could view them on their iOS devices! Every video looks great on my s7 but no one else can enjoy them!?! I tried sending a video to the Verizon Cloud and I was able to share it to an iOS device and it was clear but the video image was very small on the iOS device. I appreciate all suggestions and I really want to find a solution that allows me to use the s7's functionality seamlessly. Anyone else?
As said before, get your other family members to have Hangouts on their phones active. It's supposed to be Google's version of iMessage. You can also set it for use as your SMS app. You can send videos from Drive through it.

Drumfunken

Jun 14, 2016
Visit site
This is crap. I phones have been able to send hd videos through text messaging for years now. I expected so much more from this galaxy s7 and I really wish I had my iPhone back. This phone was sold under so much false advertisement.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
This is crap. I phones have been able to send hd videos through text messaging for years now. I expected so much more from this galaxy s7 and I really wish I had my iPhone back. This phone was sold under so much false advertisement.
The iPhone was never able to send HD voice or videos thru text. Ever. They used iMessage, which is NOT text. For the uninformed such as you are, iMessage uses online servers to send videos and HD voice. Basically, it works the same way as Facebook Messenger. On Android, this can be done using Google Hangouts which, if you activate SMS integration, works exactly like iMessage.

epowell176

Nov 3, 2016
Visit site
I agree with drumfunken. I dumped my iPhone a few weeks ago for the Galaxy S7. Nice phone. I heard the picture/video quality was awesome, which it is, and that's why I decided to try it. But what the **#% good is excellent quality pics and vids if you can't share them? On the iPhone, I took excellent videos and pictures and shared them easily with both iOS and Android users. However, I have been getting complaints about horrible quality of shared video's from friends and family when I have sent them through my new Galaxy. Devastated. Again - what good are these high quality pics and vids if you can't "easily" share them! I don't want to download them to some other place in order to share them. I can't invite everyone over to sit next to me and view them. I won't ask everyone else to go sign up for some app so they can enjoy them. With my iPhone - you took the pic/vid and you shared it. Simple. I just took it for granted that Android did the same thing. I am now having regrets about switching. Stuck for 2 years with this situation I guess.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I agree with drumfunken. I dumped my iPhone a few weeks ago for the Galaxy S7. Nice phone. I heard the picture/video quality was awesome, which it is, and that's why I decided to try it. But what the **#% good is excellent quality pics and vids if you can't share them? On the iPhone, I took excellent videos and pictures and shared them easily with both iOS and Android users. However, I have been getting complaints about horrible quality of shared video's from friends and family when I have sent them through my new Galaxy. Devastated. Again - what good are these high quality pics and vids if you can't "easily" share them! I don't want to download them to some other place in order to share them. I can't invite everyone over to sit next to me and view them. I won't ask everyone else to go sign up for some app so they can enjoy them. With my iPhone - you took the pic/vid and you shared it. Simple. I just took it for granted that Android did the same thing. I am now having regrets about switching. Stuck for 2 years with this situation I guess.
Because you're sending them through MMS. Can't get around that. Samsung does have Enhanced Messaging, but the same way iMessage only works with iPhones, Enhanced Messaging only works with newer (2015 up) Samsung phones who have it active (barring the fact that carriers may have removed it. I think Verizon removed it to force people onto their app).

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Use Google photos. There is an option to have GF pop up when you take a picture to share. If they have a Gmail account it shows up as a push notification, if not it gives the option to send however you want. Then it sends a link.

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site

The videos you send through imessage are still compressed. They're not as beautiful when the recipient views them. You can't sent those large videos through a messenger. Most limit them to 16mb. If you're recording in 4k,2k or 1080p, the video will be compressed