Galaxy s7 slow/crashing, text and icons suddenly large/not fitting screen

Geophyte1234

Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
My Galaxy s7 phone's battery ran all the way down, and when I restarted it after charging, all the text and icons were huge, and the icons spill off the edge of the screen and are hard to select. The phone is running slow and crashing, and it keeps telling me "Weather has stopped" but I can't find an app called Weather. I tried safe mode and it looks exactly the same with the same problems. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!!

Locker24

Apr 26, 2017
Visit site
I'm having the exact same problem! It started about 30 minutes ago when I restarted my phone. It was at about 20% battery. When it came back on everything was insanely large and I got the same "Weather has stopped" notification. I uninstalled the weather channel, cancelled different processes, and even restarted my phone several more times to no avail. I've tried doing a hard reset(not factory), normal power on power off, and normal restart too. I wonder if its a larger issue with a default app that Samsung has to fix or we just happened to have the same terrible issue within 24 hours of each other.

Locker24

Apr 26, 2017
Visit site
I found a solution. Go to Developer Options and under Drawing find the option labeled "Minimum Width". Click on this and input the number 411. This will put things back to normal. You can obviously fiddle with this if you want it bigger or smaller but it will resolve your issue.

Zarabell

Apr 28, 2017
Visit site
So this happened to me too. the same day and about same time as it ahppened to the original poster. I did locker24's 411 fix. It worked. But now two days later, my phone on its own reverted back to that weird oversized screen and a pop up that says "weather has stopped". I again did the 411 thing and it went back to normal. Is this a system wide issue?

ProfJDB

May 21, 2017
Visit site
Had the same problem...right when I turned on my phone to take pix/video at the U2 concert last night!

Stumbled across a simply fix by accident: check your "performance mode". Goto Settings, then Performance Mode. It's the icon that looks like a speedometer. Mine had set itself to "High Performance" when it powered up, and that seems to have caused the battery burnout and giant icons. I chose "Optimized (recommended)" and everything immediately went back to normal. Just to check, I restarted and it rebooted in normal scale and response speed.

Slori410

Jun 9, 2017
Visit site
Mine just did this tonight. My battery was fine at 15% and all of a sudden it died. When it restarted nothing fits the screen any more. My phone just did another update the day before yesterday. Not sure if that's related or not.

Nathalia Patricio

Jun 19, 2017
Visit site
Had the same problem...right when I turned on my phone to take pix/video at the U2 concert last night!

Stumbled across a simply fix by accident: check your "performance mode". Goto Settings, then Performance Mode. It's the icon that looks like a speedometer. Mine had set itself to "High Performance" when it powered up, and that seems to have caused the battery burnout and giant icons. I chose "Optimized (recommended)" and everything immediately went back to normal. Just to check, I restarted and it rebooted in normal scale and response speed.

OMG! This totally worked! I was about to lose my mind over this huge *** screen. Thanks a lot! I really appreciate it!

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm not having this exact problem but my S7 is definitely not acting as spry as it used to and text and pictures (on the Internet) will get big and then snap back to the right size. But, looking in Settings, I don't have a Performance Mode so I'm guessing you guys aren't on Verizon.

CWinkler

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
I'm not having this exact problem but my S7 is definitely not acting as spry as it used to and text and pictures (on the Internet) will get big and then snap back to the right size. But, looking in Settings, I don't have a Performance Mode so I'm guessing you guys aren't on Verizon.

Did you look under Settings / Device Maintenance?

Wonderlandbird

Jun 27, 2017
Visit site
Same thing happened to my husbands phone. Select power saving. Then wait until it goes on power saving then remove it from power saving and it goes back to normal

Kayla Hough

Jul 12, 2017
Visit site
I found a solution. Go to Developer Options and under Drawing find the option labeled "Minimum Width". Click on this and input the number 411. This will put things back to normal. You can obviously fiddle with this if you want it bigger or smaller but it will resolve your issue.

I can't even find "Developer Options." Help!!!

pamelasm123

Jul 19, 2017
Visit site
My Galaxy s7 phone's battery ran all the way down, and when I restarted it after charging, all the text and icons were huge, and the icons spill off the edge of the screen and are hard to select. The phone is running slow and crashing, and it keeps telling me "Weather has stopped" but I can't find an app called Weather. I tried safe mode and it looks exactly the same with the same problems. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!!

Same exact thing just happened to me. I have been trying to do this power mode changing trick but it keeps crashing and locking and i can't even get back to that screen :eek:

Alan Ward

Sep 12, 2017
Visit site
Similar issue happened to me. An app crashed and refused to let me choose to exit the application so I restarted the device. When it booted back up all the settings were reset and the themes I had were changed back to default. I also got the error, "weather app stopped" or "weather keeps stopping". The solution to end the stopping was to go settings>Applications>Show System Apps>weather>force stop>storage>Clear data & Clear cache. It is important that you are clearing the app "Weather" and not "Weather Forecast". To fix the screen scaling I just changed the performance options by going to settings>Device Maintenance>Performance Mode> Then I switched it from optimized to game then back to optimized.

I also read somewhere that if clearing the cache doesnt work, make sure you don't have a weather widget on your home screen before you clear it.

I am on a Galaxy S7 Edge running Android 7.0
Hope this helps someone.

Keiland Cooper

Dec 29, 2017
Visit site
Same here. (s7) Large icons, loss of theme, reverted settings, ect.
Something weird for me however was that I received a call shortly after from my mom with the same phone and same problem at the same time...
Performance mode fiddling changed the resolution, but all the settings changes were lost.
Definitely a bug in the performance mode.