S8 / S8+ First Impressions Thread

jma78b

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
I like to sneakily look at my phone when I've just woken up without waking hubby. Is this now going to be impossible with iris scanner/fingerprintscanner? I'll probably have to use the old faithful no security settings.

ol_jackburton

Trusted Member
Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
I like to sneakily look at my phone when I've just woken up without waking hubby. Is this now going to be impossible with iris scanner/fingerprintscanner? I'll probably have to use the old faithful no security settings.

how did you look at / unlock your old phone

hparsons

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

Use the "Smart Lock" and "Trusted Locations" so it's not locked at your house, but it other places.

katmandoo122

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Phone is great so far - the one thing that really surprises me is how effective the iris scanner is. It's truly great. When I set it up a couple hours ago, I was super pissed because my security was being bypassed and the phone unlocking when I woke it...turns out it was just scanning my irises so fast I didn't notice.

If you're walking or in a car, it takes a couple seconds...otherwise, it's nearly instantaneous.

So far, I've only used my FPS for LastPass logging in, although with sunglasses I will have to use the FPS.

omgitselaine

Banned
Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
But then her hubby could get into her phone and see who she's sneakily chatting with.
As convienent as Smart Lock and Trusted Device is ummmmm ....... thus why I don't use it at home ssshhhhhh !!!!
d20dfc53cc81c2f2bbf0e5f04c6550b7.gif

Last edited:

ZOMMBIE1

Trusted Member
May 24, 2015
Visit site
I really love how now you can just hit the power button to use Iris scanner or face unlock. Very fast! What finger print scanner..

hinds90

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
With the FPS do you just place your finger on it to unlock or do you have to wake the phone then place your finger to unlock?

Also loving the idea of the trusted places didn't know that was a thing.

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
First impressions of my T-Mo orchid gray:

• Damn this thing is gorgeous! (I hear Dave from 2001 saying "It's full of stars...")
  • Iris unlock does not work at all for me unless I take my glasses off, but I'm VERY near-sighted so perhaps that's why
  • Face unlock works well
  • The fingerprint sensor does not bother me nearly as much as the fuss surrounding it. I got used to it almost right away. Then again, I hold my phone with my left hand so that might have something to do with it.
  • Everything moves slick & smooth. The animations are faster than those on my pixel xl this is replacing, which makes the phone feel much faster even if it isn't.
  • The UI-formerly-known-as-TouchWiz has truly grown up, and this may be the first Galaxy I own that I don't quickly throw another launcher on.
  • Camera lives up to the hype so far, but haven't done much with it yet.

The biggest TBDs are battery life and how performance holds up after a few months of use, but so far I'm very impressed and happy!

jjinal

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
Just picked mine up from the UPS store. A little surprised that the black Samsung box had no seal whatsoever. Apparently AT&T opens them up to put the SIM card in. Letting it charge b4 I set it up.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site

• Damn this thing is gorgeous! (I hear Dave from 2001 saying "It's full of stars...")
  • Iris unlock does not work at all for me unless I take my glasses off, but I'm VERY near-sighted so perhaps that's why
  • Face unlock works well
  • The fingerprint sensor does not bother me nearly as much as the fuss surrounding it. I got used to it almost right away. Then again, I hold my phone with my left hand so that might have something to do with it.
  • Everything moves slick & smooth. The animations are faster than those on my pixel xl this is replacing, which makes the phone feel much faster even if it isn't.
  • The UI-formerly-known-as-TouchWiz has truly grown up, and this may be the first Galaxy I own that I don't quickly throw another launcher on.

The biggest TBDs are battery life and how performance holds up after a few months of use, but so far I'm very impressed and happy!
Good write up, thanks. I skipped preorder. Gonna Jump Friday at Tmo. Again, well done.

Jazzamuffin

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site

• Face unlock works well

Thanks for the update

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I have had my s eight plus four about five hours and am starting to really enjoy it . The voice texting seems to work a lot better than my 7 edge and the camera is very nice

jma78b

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Use the "Smart Lock" and "Trusted Locations" so it's not locked at your house, but it other places.

Brilliant! I don't lock my phone at all. Had an issue a couple years ago with the PIN and couldn't remember my password and had to reset my phone. Was a nightmare!

JZ4377

Apr 19, 2017
Visit site
I have yet to pre-order it. To those who have the S8 already do you feel its worth upgrading from the S6? Just on the fence due to last years Note 7 Snap foo