S8 / S8+ First Impressions Thread

tasha_c

May 23, 2012
Visit site
Pretty much in love with this phone. Just went for a walk in the rain and it was great to use the phone while outside and not have to worry about rain falling on it.

A couple caveats, which may just be my phone:

1) the home "button" isn't turning on the phone. Yesterday, it worked perfectly, but a couple hours ago, I noticed that when pressing down on the area, it's not doing anything & I now have to use the power button to turn on the screen. Not sure if the screen protector has anything to do with it, but just seems weird that it's no longer working

2) freezing while using certain apps eg. Facebook, the Score, Messenger and chrome

thehoz

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Anyone with Orchid Gray....did your box say "Gray" or "Orchid Gray"? Mine said Gray and it seems like a dark gray, no violet. May be just the light but the box wording has me paranoid.

omgitselaine

Banned
Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
Pretty much in love with this phone. Just went for a walk in the rain and it was great to use the phone while outside and not have to worry about rain falling on it.

A couple caveats, which may just be my phone:

1) the home "button" isn't turning on the phone. Yesterday, it worked perfectly, but a couple hours ago, I noticed that when pressing down on the area, it's not doing anything & I now have to use the power button to turn on the screen. Not sure if the screen protector has anything to do with it, but just seems weird that it's no longer working

Try increasing the sensitivity of the Home Button in settings. I had somewhat the same issue last night but by doing this it worked for me

chazglenn3

Trusted Member
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Anyone with Orchid Gray....did your box say "Gray" or "Orchid Gray"? Mine said Gray and it seems like a dark gray, no violet. May be just the light but the box wording has me paranoid.

The box definitely says Orchid Gray and the phone has the subtle tint on the metal.

Mark8768

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Received my phone after lunch... set up and switched by 2 EST. It's really early but the size is almost perfect.

I am having a few issues with the screen protector I put on but hoping it settles down after 24 hrs when it seasons.

I am not sure if it's the screen protector but screen sensitivity is a bit off compared to the S7 Edge.

Using facial recognition which works really as does the iris scanner.Not even messing with the finger print scanner.

So far and it's early I do love this phone ... It's an upgrade on the S7 edge and S7 ( I had both) kind of picks off where my note 7 was before everything went south.

Will update after 48 hrs or so of use.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
It took me a while to get everything set up. This phone is awesome. Every thing is smooth. No red tinting, no lag. I went with the S8 and I have absolutely no "REGERTS" :)

milky-way-bar-no-regerts-sorry-a.jpg

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Try increasing the sensitivity of the Home Button in settings. I had somewhat the same issue last night but by doing this it worked for me
I just looked for this after seeing this post and can't find where you could change this. Care to enlighten everyone?
Nevermind...found it on the same screen as the button layouts.

omgitselaine

Banned
Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
I just looked for this after seeing this post and can't find where you could change this. Care to enlighten everyone?
Nevermind...found it on the same screen as the button layouts.
Settings , Display and scroll down to Navigation Bar. Adjust the Home Button sensitivity
See below
bd394a01eff02b78b6b284a1fbfd849d.jpg

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Really liking this phone, reminds me how much I liked my Note 7 for the short time I had it.

-very responsive and fast
-facial recognition works great
-like others have mentioned the finger print scanner isn't nearly as bad as I thought it might be
-Nova is working great on it, nice that you can back up settings and import it to the new phone which saves a lot of set up time.
-Bixby vision is pretty cool, will have to wait for the updates later this Spring to see how good the actual voice commands work
-phone feels great in the hand although I wish it was a little wider like the Note 7
-pictures from the camera look great
-Mine had a slight red tint to it, just go to setting>display>screen mode> have Adaptive display selected and then tap color balance to adjust. I slid the red color slider down almost all the way to make the white bright and crisp. Web pages and photos look just fine after making the adjustment. A friend thought theirs was fine until I set mine next to their phone after making the adjustment and our display brightness levels were the same and neither phone had a screen protector.

All in all very happy with the phone.

keld

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
I like this phone but I hate the finger print sensor in the back. Too hard to get a valid finger print. Iris works generally well and really fast but many times it didn't work. They should have waited until finger print sensors can be embedded in the screen instead of moving it in the back.