Factory Unlocked or get T-Mobile Version?

accordex#AC

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I currently have a Factory Unlocked S7 Edge, that I hate. It lags like crazy, and has random dead spots for internet, mainly when I'm close to a tower. It lights up LTE+ and has full bars, and 0 internet. I have to go to settings and switch it from LTE/3G/2G > to 3G/2G and then it connects as HSPA and works. This happens in a few places around where I live. It's not a defective phone, because my first one had the same issue and I exchanged it, same thing happens.

I know the S8 Unlocked is supposed to come out early may, and I just don't want to have the same thing happen. I know the hardware is the same, but maybe T-Mobile's ROM has a different radio that might work better vs unlocked? I also don't want a bunch of bloatware, especially the stupid popup to enable WIFI Calling, anytime I connect to a WIFI network.

How bad is the T-Mobile variant as far as bloat?
Anyone load it up with apps and seeing any lag yet?

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Why do you get WiFi calling pop up every time? I turn off WiFi calling in settings and after that never every get that pop up to enable. Simple !!!

Honestly there isn't much bloat or customization on T-Mobile (looking at you Verizon). There are are few apps (3 or 4) that can't be uninstalled but you can disable them and they aren't going to bother you after that. I hate carrier versions and believe they have no business messing up with phones but for Samsung and LG phones you better off buying carrier versions especially with T-Mobile there isn't that much bloat and also they don't remove or disable features like Verizon. The carrier versions of Samsung and LG get security/OS updates faster than the US unlocked versions. And as far as the radios may be they are tweaked better on the carrier versions compared to unlocked versions, personally I haven't seen the difference between my different unlocked versions and carrier versions but possible.

Bottom line, IMO you are better off with T-Mobile version than waiting for the US unlocked version which will be ignored by Samsung in no time.

accordex#AC

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I'm kinda leaning towards it. My S7E is STILL no updated to Nougat...that's sad.
The unlocked S8+ will be $30 cheaper and I have over $100 in gift cards to best buy, and you get cash back with sites from best buy, which would knock the price down a bit, and would have no bloat. Hard decision.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I'm kinda leaning towards it. My S7E is STILL no updated to Nougat...that's sad.
The unlocked S8+ will be $30 cheaper and I have over $100 in gift cards to best buy, and you get cash back with sites from best buy, which would knock the price down a bit, and would have no bloat. Hard decision.
Personally I'll take few apps that can be disabled over no security/OS updates. But again that's personal preference. I know many or majority people don't even care about updates so it's up to you and you have to decide what's important for you.

Zulfigar

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Which I'm glad we're at a point that it's hard to decide if it's better to go unlocked or carrier locked. As for the pre loaded apps, there's 4 of them; Device Unlock, T-Mobile, T-Mobile TV, and Visual Voicemail.

Good luck with your choice! At least either way, you'll be happy, it is an amazing device.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Personally I'll take few apps that can be disabled over no security/OS updates. But again that's personal preference. I know many or majority people don't even care about updates so it's up to you and you have to decide what's important for you.
Don't forget that crappy lookout which everyone has to disable first thing you power on the​ phone 😀

accordex#AC

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site

OS Updates are mainly what I'm worried about. Samsung has "committed" to doing monthly Security Updates for their unlocked phones going forward. Even the S7E got the March Security Update, but still no OS. I'm mainly worried about bloat apps causing lag. I'm very sensitive to it.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
OS Updates are mainly what I'm worried about. Samsung has "committed" to doing monthly Security Updates for their unlocked phones going forward. Even the S7E got the March Security Update, but still no OS. I'm mainly worried about bloat apps causing lag. I'm very sensitive to it.
I'm not sure why bloat apps will cause lag? As I said you can just disable them which is pretty straight forward and they won't be running anymore to cause lag even if you think they did.

accordex#AC

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Don't forget that crappy lookout which everyone has to disable first thing you power on the​ phone ??????

Exactly! Why is than on every T-Mobile phone!? Does disabling apps cause issues though? I get it's disabled, but, since it's not something you can uninstall, and is "baked" into the system...if you disable it, is there still something in the system that might be looking for it at times, thus causing lag/battery drain?

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Also, don't go by the Samsung promise about doing regular monthly security updates on unlocked version until they show the track record of they do what they say. You did March security update, April security update is already out and did they update your unlocked model with it since they promised it? Also that didn't come officially from Samsung PR, it came from Samsung support rep who told a costumer that they are planning to do monthly security updates on unlocked models. Until I see them actually do that and they also announce them officially I don't think they are going to care about that for US unlocked models since a tiny percent buy that model. For Samsung still carriers are the customers and they will work hard to keep them up to date first even before worrying about the unlocked model.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Why do you get WiFi calling pop up every time? I turn off WiFi calling in settings and after that never every get that pop up to enable. Simple !!!

Honestly there isn't much bloat or customization on T-Mobile (looking at you Verizon). There are are few apps (3 or 4) that can't be uninstalled but you can disable them and they aren't going to bother you after that. I hate carrier versions and believe they have no business messing up with phones but for Samsung and LG phones you better off buying carrier versions especially with T-Mobile there isn't that much bloat and also they don't remove or disable features like Verizon. The carrier versions of Samsung and LG get security/OS updates faster than the US unlocked versions. And as far as the radios may be they are tweaked better on the carrier versions compared to unlocked versions, personally I haven't seen the difference between my different unlocked versions and carrier versions but possible.

Bottom line, IMO you are better off with T-Mobile version than waiting for the US unlocked version which will be ignored by Samsung in no time.

Samsung has said that from now on unlocked should get monthly updates.

6ee12bbbd0176a56b25464be7370d38f.jpg

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Verizon bloat isn't to bad. The software modifications are another thing. On the other hand they did do something nice ... They removed that clean Master stuff from the phone. That is one change I do welcome haha.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Verizon bloat it ain't to bad. The software modifications are another thing. On the other hand they did do something nice ... They removed that clean Master stuff from the phone. That is one change I do welcome haha.
It's just the principle of Verizon deciding what's good for me is I have a problem with. Bother with network not with crippling or making modifications to features which the OEM puts in.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It's just the principle of Verizon deciding what's good for me is I have a problem with. Bother with network not with crippling or making modifications to features which the OEM puts in.
Sometimes T-Mobile does it as well. One peeve was removing the hotspot toggle from the quick settings. Much more minor I know.. but they still do it.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes T-Mobile does it as well. One peeve was removing the hotspot toggle from the quick settings. Much more minor I know.. but they still do it.
Believe me I have no soft spot for any carrier .. I hate them all 😁

It's just Verizon does it more than anyone else, probably AT&T comes close as well.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Believe me I have no soft spot for any carrier .. I hate them all 😁

It's just Verizon does it more than anyone else, probably AT&T comes close as well.
To me AT&T is just super annoying with the banner ads.

They also always charge more for their flagships than any other carrier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa