has anyone got Edge Lighting to work for alerts on an S8?

A

AC Question

I've tried to get Edge Lighting to work for alerts (email, text, etc.)....where the edge of the screen is supposed to light up with an incoming message, text (you have to configure what apps will use the alert). But I've been unable to get it to work.

I even went back to the Verizon store (bought my phone through Verizon), and they checked all my settings and said it SHOULD work, but it doesn't. They suggested replacing the phone under warranty. I'm wondering if this could be yet another thing....like the Bixby app, that just doesn't work yet....and perhaps will be addressed in a future OS update?

So, anyone try and get Edge Lighting to work for alerts?

jaymzb0nd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Is this supposed to be the same as with the S6 Edge (I didn't have the S7) where a contact would be designated a color and when they call or text you, the edge screen lights that color?

netwerx1

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I haven't got it to work...I get the pill-shaped notifications at the top of the screen, but no edge lighting. I've tried everything.

kyleresq

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Is this supposed to be the same as with the S6 Edge (I didn't have the S7) where a contact would be designated a color and when they call or text you, the edge screen lights that color?

That went away with the Nougat update. I loved that setting.

Dberndt210

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
My edge lighting works perfectly. Not the same as the note 7 or s7 though. Only that slight blue ring around edge and a pop up pill box up top. I love it

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Make sure it's enabled for all apps. By default mine was only set for messaging app. Once I enabled for all apps it works as it should.

Idelgado782

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for posting this. Sorry it's not working for you. I didn't even know about this feature. I just enabled it. Let's see if it works

redvalk56

Apr 24, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for posting this. Sorry it's not working for you. I didn't even know about this feature. I just enabled it. Let's see if it works

ok, I went to another forum.....and there someone had mentioned they purchased on PlayStore an app called Edge Lighting. Yes, i said PURCHASED (it was like $2.54 or around there). They claimed after they installed that app, a SMALL amount of the Edge Lighting alerts began to work?

So, desperate....I purchased it. Right after I did.....with almost no configuration....I found that now, my phone would indeed alert with a green edge light .....ONLY ON PHONE CALLS...and ONLY WITH THE SCREEN OFF....and the phone FACE DOWN.

Then I went to a Corporate Verizon store and asked them to look at the phone. I compared notes with the Verizon rep....and they agreed PERHAPS some of the features may not be working early on?

Anyway, based on reading on another forum about some folks trying the SAMSUNG messaging app (just called Message on my Verizon S8)....verses the Verizon Message + (which is what I normally use)....some folks actually got the Edge Lighting alerts to work on their S8.....but only on incoming calls (phone face down and screen off)....and....on the incoming texts with the Samsung Message app (phone up or down.....screen off). The Verizon rep changed my default text app to the Samsung Message app, and yes indeed, edge lighting WORKED. Not wanting to use the Samsung app (I much prefer the Verizon Message+), I changed back to Message+ for my default for texts (meaning probably for NOW, no more edge light alerts).

I went home deciding I would live with for now....the limited capability. It's not the phone, it's most likely configuration/settings for limited access...and limitations in the OS for all the other non Samsung apps....being my guess.

BUT THEN....on that other forum, I saw a link to a bunch of new Youtube videos with "how to" info. So i went and watched the one on Edge Lighting. Now .....that gave me some more ideas. So here's what i did:

Using the new app I had purchased....called Edge Lighting....from the Playstore....I went into Settings/Accessibility (which is near the bottom under System)/Notification Reminder - making sure this was set to ON. Then I tapped on the Notification Reminder and went into the sub menus for that item. At the bottom, i found a setting for "show notifications from"....and a list of apps. Well, the Edge Lighting was listed in that list, but it was NOT turned on (probably something one needs to do after installing that app?). So i turned it on.

Once I turned that Notification Reminder setting to ON for Edge Lighting app, I then noticed when i went back to the Accessibility area....at the bottom of all the items under that heading....there is a list of Services. Now, under those Services, i found Edge Light ....and it was OFF. I turned it ON.

And NOW, EVERY APP I wanted to send notices......does.....regardless of what vendor or app it is (assuming the app sends some kind of notification). IE, my gmail now works, my email using Microsoft Exchange (for my work) now works, Text messages using Messenger+ (from Verizon) works....calls....etc. And, those email and text alerts work on the lock screen....with the phone facing UP even.

The incoming calls is working with the Samsung Edge Lighting. The text, emails, etc....works using the Edge Lighting 3rd party app. I suspect SOME DAY....Samsung will update the OS to address Edge Lighting for all the apps it no doubt should support? For now, the 3rd party app makes Edge lighting work for all the non Samsung apps I want working.

I'm an Electrical Engineer and I've worked in Software Development for major Software releases for large complex systems. When you build a new release....there's basically three types of testing you do: 1) Systems Integration Testing (SIT).....does it load properly onto the hardware platform and function in general. 2) Requirements Operability Testing (ROT), also known as Regression Testing.....does it break anything THAT ALREADY WORKED IN A PREVIOUS RELEASE. and finally 3) Capabilities Integration Testing (CIT)...do all the NEW requirements/capabilities spelled out for this release actually work. You develop autmoated test scripts and execute tests that cover EVERY capability listed in a Requirements Tracibility Matrix (RTM) that was developed way back on day one....when you identified all the new features you want to incorporate on the next release. Since Edge Light alerts have been around on some past phones (like s6 and S7 edge)....I'm thinking that testing should have been ROT testing to make sure with the new S8 release, the already existing capability of Edge Lighting wasn't broken. They either didn't do it....didn't do it well....or for whatever reason, pushed the new release with this capability NOT fully functioning. Testing always results in Problem Reports (PRs). PRs are categorized ....1-5....with Cat 1 and 2 being critical PRs that MUST be fixed before release....while 3-5 Cats can sometimes be "lived with"....with a list of Known Problems and Workarounds (KP&W). We often released major releases with Cat 3, 4, and 5 PRs....knowing we could work around them....fix them later...etc. PRs that "break the system"...typically again CAT 1 or 2.....if not fixed, often wind up being Deficiency Reports (DRs).....which then make the list of "new capabilities" for the next release............

Ok, much, much more than you ever wanted to read , eh? I'm thinking Edge Lighting working on ALL apps ....regardless of vendor....and working as it did on past similar releases for other recent phones....is probably a Cat 3 or 4 PR....IF IT DOESN'T FULLY WORK. It's a KP&W....they know the problem is out there....it's minor...it can be lived with....it may have limited functionality (or you can use the KP&W i just listed....of using the 3rd party Edge Light app).

And I'm spent...............;)

panton

Apr 26, 2017
Visit site
I purchased the Edge Lighting app for $2.54 from the Google Play store. It works very well and works with my messaging app, Chomp, and with all my news and sports apps. You can set different colors for different apps. Also works face up with all apps except the phone call. Just make sure to follow the brief directions about turning on Accessibility for it under settings. To bad Samsung didn't get this right yet. The phone ringer with only work face down if your screen lights up when receiving a call. The support contact link response is very prompt. Very good app.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Guys...you don't need that app. Those settings to enable edge lighting for different apps? That's built into the phone. Settings > Display > Edge screen > Edge lighting . Top right of screen make sure it's set to ON. Under "show edge lighting" choose "Always" or whatever preference you have. Then tap Manage Notifications just underneath that. Pick and choose what apps or top option is to choose ALL APPS. I did this and edge lighting works fine for notifications for all apps. In my case I have it set to come on for screen on and off