Verizon World Device - International Use

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
The Verizon website shows that the S8, S8+ is a "World Device (Works in over 200 countries)" and list many LTE (Global) bands.

For example: One arrives in London, get's a local plan with a UK carrier, remove Verizon SIM, install UK carrier SIM, edit APN (if needed) and all is good?

Or are there caveats and concerns?

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
There may be concerns, but likely not from a technical aspect. Yes, the phone should work with a local SIM. Verizon phones now have most if not all of the frequencies used by carriers worldwide. You won't have access to your VZW telephone number though.

The bigger concern may be the security restrictions that some countries now have. For example, many European countries limit the purchase of telephone accounts and SIMs to local or European residents in an effort to thwart those who would do harm. I'd do some research before my trip to identify any restrictions. The websites of a few local providers may have some information about foreigners purchasing accounts. The US Embassy or Consulate should also have information. Look on the State Department website for links.

While Big Red's international plans are hideously expensive, they may doable for a short trip if you manage your use.

Rumline

Apr 4, 2017
Visit site
When I travel for work my company reimburses me the $10/day Verizon charges to use your domestic plan internationally. Works just like I was at home, same talk/data allowances, nothing to set up, etc. One less thing to worry about when travelling. If you're going to be doing any work on the trip or if your boss expects you to be reachable, see if they'll cover it for you.

Even if I was on my own dime I would strongly consider doing that as well, assuming I wasn't going to be out of the country that long. Plus they only charge you for calendar days that you actually use your phone in another country.

RLangerman

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
On my old Verizon Galaxy S6, I have purchased local SIMs in many countries (China,UK,France,Spain,Italy,Singapore,Israel) and the phone worked everywhere. The "gotcha" is that Verizon does not pre-load any APN's (Access Point Names) for any carrier except themselves so I had to manually add the APN's to get data to work. This is very unusual as most phones have them pre-loaded. With non-Verizon phones you just pop in the SIM and it self-configures. Not with Verizon S6 (or the S4 before it). What a pain.

Does anyone know if the new Verizon S8 have APN's pre-loaded to avoid this problem? It is really an issue when you are trying to do this in China and the local carrier sales rep does not speak english. Then you try to copy the settings from their phone and all their phone settings are in Chinese. Iphones self-configure as do Samsung phones purchased from other carriers.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buyonbudget