Did anyone buy the Unlocked version yet?

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
The unlocked version for the US was released a few days ago. Has anyone purchased it yet? Does wifi calling work?

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I have the tmobile version, but i flashed the unlocked version and it does work ..

I got the Tmobile version and it works great. I was just curious. Usually Tmobile works with Samsung unlocked phones wifi calling. I did have the unlocked V20 and wifi calling didn't work on it.'

The reason I decided not to buy the unlocked s8 was because of how horrible Samsung is with rolling out updates on their unlocked phones so I decided to just pre order the tmobile one instead.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yeah that's why I'm happy can flash either way thank god for Odin right lol... I left my s7 edge on the unlock software works great ,the only options missing is video calling or read message but nothing to go back on

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I got the US unlocked from best buy couple of days back, like how there is no trace of any carrier stuff. But yeah updates are big concern on the unlocked model.

For anyone interested the S8+ US unlocked model is SM-G955U1 and it's shipping with April security update. I believe the carrier ones are on May? So already lagging behind to begin with.

104cc73faadc7b2fbf76019ccc3dc7da.jpg

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Yeah I got the US unlocked from best buy couple of days back, like how there is no trace of any carrier stuff. But yeah updates are big concern on the unlocked model.

For anyone interested the S8+ US unlocked model is SM-G955U1 and it's shipping with April security update. I believe the carrier ones are on May? So already lagging behind to begin with.

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170605/104cc73faadc7b2fbf76019ccc3dc7da.jpg
Really? That is very good to know as I was about get ready to buy an unlocked regular size S8 and I had no idea they released updates late to their unlocked devices. That helps a lot. I think I'm going to stick with my Honor 8 until the S8 goes on sale like the S7s are now. As fast as Sammy releases phones it should not be too terribly long off lol. Plus that is a good reason to save $800 bucks too. Plus I watched a YouTube review on the S8 and no wireless charging and no IR Blaster. Not that big of a deal but for a device that is right at a $1000 dollars, not one feature should be lacking. I was surprised no wireless charge. I want one none the less but the lack of updates, that bothers me for that type of cash to drop. I love how it feels in one hand though so who knows what I'll end up doing. For now I'm going to hold off for a sale on a unlocked one.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Really? That is very good to know as I was about get ready to buy an unlocked regular size S8 and I had no idea they released updates late to their unlocked devices. That helps a lot. I think I'm going to stick with my Honor 8 until the S8 goes on sale like the S7s are now. As fast as Sammy releases phones it should not be too terribly long off lol. Plus that is a good reason to save $800 bucks too. Plus I watched a YouTube review on the S8 and no wireless charging and no IR Blaster. Not that big of a deal but for a device that is right at a $1000 dollars, not one feature should be lacking. I was surprised no wireless charge. I want one none the less but the lack of updates, that bothers me for that type of cash to drop. I love how it feels in one hand though so who knows what I'll end up doing. For now I'm going to hold off for a sale on a unlocked one.
Yeah it was same for S7 US unlocked model, no regular security updates and OS updates months behind carrier versions. It'll be same for S8 until they prove otherwise.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170605/104cc73faadc7b2fbf76019ccc3dc7da.jpg

Mine is on April still as well (Verizon version).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170605-002140.jpg
    Screenshot_20170605-002140.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 138

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Did any carrier get May update or every variant is on April?

I haven't seen any carriers get an update that does the security patch. There was one for the pink screen fiasco (mine never had this issue) but that's it.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Yeah that's why I'm happy can flash either way thank god for Odin right lol... I left my s7 edge on the unlock software works great ,the only options missing is video calling or read message but nothing to go back on
What is the advantage of the unlocked version since you went to the trouble of flashing it?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I like to tinker with things ))
It takes 5 minutes tops to do it
But the software doesn't have that much bloat and feels little more snappier than Carrier version , and I like not seeing the Carrier crap when phone restarts but most people wouldn't see too much of difference

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Bhatech, how many phones is that for you recently? I'm jealous. I like to switch, but you are far ahead.

Let me say I'm not proud of myself

Got to control the urge of buying all these new stuff. I envy people who don't care about this stuff and go on with their life in a normal way.

Targatheory

Banned
May 13, 2011
Visit site
According to Sprint Help Support, the Samsung S8 and S8+ are fully allowed to become Unlocked devices by taking to a local Sprint Store after 50 days of use. Apparently it's one of the FEW devices that are capable/allowed to do this, even by Sprint's own proprietary/greedy standards.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
One issue with the unlocked versions that Samsung support just told me is Samsung Premium Care is not yet available for them.

Has anyone else with an unlocked version tried to sign up?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non