No home button on S8

James Falconer

Former Community Manager
Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
No home key rumored to be on the S8. Physical buttons be darned! You behind this, or are you too in love with the familiarity of the home button?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
#HOMEBUTTONFTW (or as some call it, #derpbuttonFTW ). I'm definitely a 'keep the Home Button and hardware keys alone' guy. Dont' touch my screen real estate with on-screen buttons :( I'm still at odds at the fingerprint reader on the back, though (and the weird placement on leaked renders doesn't help). I've hated those in the past (with the G4 and V20 it actually hurt my hand after a while... my fingers don't rest there naturally like many claimed, but that's just me).

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Viva la physical home button!
Putting it on the screen just seems wrong in so many ways :(
And aren't there technical/functional reasons it shouldn't be on the screen,
not just "form"?

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I like the physical keys too but the future is now and it'll be gone forever. If you really want a home button, I suggest getting the Galaxy S Active series as they always have physical buttons for use during all weather conditions and environments. Maybe wait for the S8 Active this summer.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Good point! I AM gonna miss that! :S I guess now it will be a double tap at the fingerprint sensor, but who knows.

Maybe the finger print scanner on the back is actually a button. It would seem so, looks like they used the same old home button and placed it in the back.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I may be in the minority here, but I like my phones to be either all-in - a BlackBerry physical keyboard - or all-out - full touchscreen and no physical buttons. So I'm happy with the direction Samsung is taking here. One reason why I've never used a Samsung device is because of the physical button and my lack of interest in it. And whenever I use my Mom's Edge, that physical button gets in my way!

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I may be in the minority here, but I like my phones to be either all-in - a BlackBerry physical keyboard - or all-out - full touchscreen and no physical buttons

Ill join you in the minority :D haha

Going to agree with Morty here. I either have a Blackberry KEYone with a full qwerty keyboard or i want a nice slab of glass with maximum real-estate :D

I actually asked my family this question just a few minutes ago and their answers were very interesting and pretty much split down the middle. Half wanting the home button and half happy to have either as long as it 'doesn't make life more difficult'. :)

My mother loves the 'Home button'. She doesn't want it go. She likes it so much because it's got the fingerprint scanner right their which she says is very convent for her. Additionally, if she just wants to exit a video quickly she can press the button but with software keys it's potentially extra steps.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Going to agree with Morty here. I either have a Blackberry KEYone with a full qwerty keyboard or i want a nice slab of glass with maximum real-estate :D

I actually asked my family this question just a few minutes ago and their answers were very interesting and pretty much split down the middle. Half wanting the home button and half happy to have either as long as it 'doesn't make life more difficult'. :)

My mother loves the 'Home button'. She doesn't want it go. She likes it so much because it's got the fingerprint scanner right their which she says is very convent for her. Additionally, if she just wants to exit a video quickly she can press the button but with software keys it's potentially extra steps.

You said it yourself, Matty: you want MAXIMUM real estate. On-screen buttons ruin that. :(

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
You said it yourself, Matty: you want MAXIMUM real estate. On-screen buttons ruin that. :(
With the 16:9 ratio, I would agree. With 18:9 or 18.5:9 or whatever it turns out to be, I don't think of it as valuable real estate being lost,especially if they give the user full access to customize the buttons like how long the buttons stay on the screen, opacity, color, position, etc.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It's like suddenly someone comes along and says 'hey, see that sidewalk portion in front of your house? it's no longer the city's, it's all yours! Oh, but you can't do anything to it, it's has to remain a sidewalk. Maybe we'll let you paint it, but that's it! 'mkay, bye!' ¬¬

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
The home button going the way of the DoDo bothers me not? The quirky location of the fingerprint scanner is something I'll have to try up close. I'm glad to see LG and Samsung trying something new with the display aspect ratios.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

Yes! Either full physical keyboard or full touch! How are you liking your KEYone?! Or did I misunderstand your post haha.

Everyone will definitely have varying opinions on the usefulness of a home button vs software buttons, etc, but for me, having the least amount of buttons for a full touchscreen phone is what I like best.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm so used to the home button that it'll be an adjustment for me. I prefer to have a home button though. I'm still going to get the S8 though.

Maknora

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
A home button was the only thing I didn't like about the Galaxy phones. Trust me. Once you use the on screen for a while, you get much more faster and efficient.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress