How to backup/fully image my SAmsung s8 like you can with a Windows PC?

jinjin12

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
On windows, you can macrium or aomeibackupper and plenty of other ways to create a full image of the disk to back it up, restore, or even mount to view the files.

IS there a way to do this on my SAmsung s8? MY s8 is unrooted, but i had there was a way to do this using usb debugger mode and command functions with ADB?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Smart Switch is probably your best solution. I don't think there are any reputable "disk image" savers for phones, because that can be a big security risk.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Smart Switch backs up the following:

Contacts

SMS Messages

Call logs

Photos - bmp, wbmp, gif, jpg, jpeg, png, tif, tiff

Videos - mpg, mpeg, avi, divx, svi, wmv, asf, pyv, mp4, m4v, 3gp, rm, rmvb, mov, mkv, skm, k3g, flv, swf

Music - mp3, wma, wav, pya, ogg, m4a, aac, 3ga, flac, smp, dcf, mid, midi, amr, qcp, imy

Documents - pdf, ppt, doc, docx, pptx, xls, xlsx, hwp, csv, txt, xml

Calendar events

Samsung Notes

AR Emojis

Clock

Voice memos

Home Screen settings

It does NOT create an "image". Nothing for Android does that because of security. There are more complete backup options for rooted devices, but I don't know how extensive those get.

If everything you have is using strictly Samsung stuff, then it can recreate pretty much all settings on a new device as before.

However, certain kinds of data may not be carried over even if apps are. Most apps save data in a separate location that can't be copied, so you'll have to find ways of saving that data to an external location within the app. Or in the cloud if said app gives you the option to have an account to save such information to.

Email accounts may save the name, but you will have to re-input the passwords to properly log in. Contacts and calendar events that can be saved are only those stored locally on the phone and not tied to an account. If they are part of an email account like Outlook or similar, those are not included. But re-signing into those kinds of accounts should pull them all back in.

You can't think of an Android phone like a Windows PC. They are two totally different animals from different backgrounds (Windows coming from DOS, and Android is "Unix-like" by way of a Linux branch). So, system access (or lack of) is completely different. Android having a very different way of dealing with it than Windows simply assigning "permissions" to folders.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Good point, I forgot the US versions were weird. Isn't it borderline impossible to root them as well?
I think the S9 series with snapdragon had an exploit that could be used to root, but that's it. And only if it was still on Android 8 or 8.1. Later firmware locked that down. Nothing more recent since.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
For me, the best counter question is, if your device were to stop working right now, what contents would you not want to lose?

You could do the same thing as a nandroid by pulling everything manually. I don't think you are missing as much as you would from creating a nandroid backup.

Nandroids were great when custom kernels and new ROMs were all the rage when Anrdoid was so new you practically HAD to root/ROM to get many of the features we have now out of the box. They allowed an easy and quick switch back to what you had before in case you hated the ROM or the kernel was garbage.

I have my mobile documents, and photos backed up to the corresponding Google spaces. Aside from any downloads, if my phone were to stop working right now, I wouldn't really lose anything. And my downloads aren't that important...they are usually PDFs from sites, often menus of local restaurants.

jinjin12

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
For me, the best counter question is, if your device were to stop working right now, what contents would you not want to lose?

You could do the same thing as a nandroid by pulling everything manually. I don't think you are missing as much as you would from creating a nandroid backup.

Nandroids were great when custom kernels and new ROMs were all the rage when Anrdoid was so new you practically HAD to root/ROM to get many of the features we have now out of the box. They allowed an easy and quick switch back to what you had before in case you hated the ROM or the kernel was garbage.

I have my mobile documents, and photos backed up to the corresponding Google spaces. Aside from any downloads, if my phone were to stop working right now, I wouldn't really lose anything. And my downloads aren't that important...they are usually PDFs from sites, often menus of local restaurants.
yea i am trying to backup files and things and not leave as much on my phone in case something happens. But in terms of roms, i have alot of apps, files and settings and if something were to happen, i would like to restore them all just by restoring the rom image without having to reinstalling everything and doing each setting again to my liking

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000