Do you really need to upgrade?

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm a samsung fan. Have been since the galaxy S4. Back then, it seems like the next iteration was really different. But looking at the S8, I don't see a reason to leave my S7 edge. First of all, we were led to believe that the entire front of this device was going to be all screen. Just like the Mi Mix. Well, it's not. I realize it'll have the 835 chip, but really, how much faster in REAL WORLD TIME will it be. A millisecond? Average consumer won't notice, and for the price of these handsets, won't care. Then there's size. If the screen is larger, but the body isn't, that's cool. But I tried to live with the LG v10 as a backup, and just couldn't stand the shear bulk of that device. The S7 edge has a great screen, fast processor, excellent battery life, sd expansion and a lot more of what one would expect in a top tier phone. I see no reason to give it up. To be honest, none of the Samsung phones include one thing I really want, and that's a true hifi dac AND dolby atmos. That's the reason why I carry 2 phones. My other, is an axon7 that has tremendous audio performance. And to be honest, it's as good a performer in every respect as the S7 edge except for 1 thing, Speed. It's actually faster. Maybe next year when the S9 comes out, it'll really warrant my 1000.00 purchase, but not on the S8.

I would agree. If you already have an S7 Edge, I probably wouldn't upgrade. The size difference is not much, the S7e is really slim already. The only difference is the smaller bezels and better processor chip. The only good thing is the Snapdragon 835 supports Quick Charge 4.0 which boasts 5 hours of battery with just 5 minutes of charging. Oh and the regular S8 only has 3000 mAh so you're better off with the S7e.

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
Don't forget that audio dac will not be in the USA version of the G6, only Asia. If you have the axon7, why would you upgrade? It's an awesome phone. Very fast(faster than my S7 edge), plenty of storage, and it has the hifi dacs and dolby atmos.

Bro not selling my priced Axon 7 but buying 2nd phone was confused between s8 and G6... Mainly for a good camera... If nothing works back to s7 edge 128gb version

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Folks around here, and they probably don't want to hear it...

They upgrade to have the latest, greatest, newest device to keep up with the Jonses on the forum, FB, social media, in life.

Unless you really need to upgrade, why do it? The next latest and greatest is just a few months away anyway.

My Note 5 64GB is blazing fast, reliable, great audio, display is about as good as it gets...

When Google and Verizon stop their updates... then I'll get the latest and greatest. And move the Note 5 to backup role.

YMMV. 😉 It's your money... have at it and have fun!
I have a 32GB Note 5 and a new s7edge (the edge is on jump). I prefer the note 5.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
As u know i sold my s7 edge for axon7 limited edition so looking forward to s8 but after I saw the leaks... I find it far from a beauty to ugly... Soo leaning towards LG G6 which has 64gb audio dac and dual camera set up
I wonder when the lg v30 is coming out. The v20 is a great phone and that would help drop it's price some

MC_A_DOT

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
What phone do you have and is the battery original?

I've got the LG G3. I did have to buy 2 new batteries but the phone is still chugging along fine,

I'm done with contracts so the next phone I buy will last have to last me a while, I'm thinking the Note 8.

Never had a Note before but I loved my pocket PC back in the day so look forward to seeing if its worth a purchase.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I've got the LG G3. I did have to buy 2 new batteries but the phone is still chugging along fine,

I'm done with contracts so the next phone I buy will last have to last me a while, I'm thinking the Note 8.

Never had a Note before but I loved my pocket PC back in the day so look forward to seeing if its worth a purchase.
That's great to hear. I also have a strong interest in the lg v20 and figure it would last pretty long considering it also has the removable battery. If it could do Samsung pay that would probably be the phone I'd have right now lol

FutureMech

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
I sold mine S7E and got Mate 9, despite S7E have better low light performance, ip68 and better development community, i find the Mate 9 to be much better where i need it to be, running Tekken 6 via awful ppsspp emulator is perfect as well as all other games that i play on phone, it's big the battery is awesome, screen quality is great too, stereo speakers are good too, i see no reason getting S8 especially since sammy throttle the living **** out of it by using DVFS.

S7E is quite a slow phone, as well as all samsung phones when u see how speed Mate 9 or One3T is.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I'm a samsung fan. Have been since the galaxy S4. Back then, it seems like the next iteration was really different. But looking at the S8, I don't see a reason to leave my S7 edge

I fully agree :) But this is what happens when technology reaches its 'prime'. Back in the 'old days' around 2005 when smartphones phones were not even really around. Upgrading from a 1.2mp to a 2mp camera was a big jump or going from a 2.4" inch display to a 3.5" inch display was really noticeable. But when you upgrade a screen from QHD to a QHD+ its already so clear that it's not noticeable.

This is one of the reasons I'm only upgrading my device every 3 years now instead of every 2 years. The jump just isn't big enough so rather wait that extra year to get a really nice improvement :)

MC_A_DOT

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I fully agree :) But this is what happens when technology reaches its 'prime'. Back in the 'old days' around 2005 when smartphones phones were not even really around. Upgrading from a 1.2mp to a 2mp camera was a big jump or going from a 2.4" inch display to a 3.5" inch display was really noticeable. But when you upgrade a screen from QHD to a QHD+ its already so clear that it's not noticeable.

This is one of the reasons I'm only upgrading my device every 3 years now instead of every 2 years. The jump just isn't big enough so rather wait that extra year to get a really nice improvement :)

Same.

I haven't owned a phone with a fingerprint sensor, wireless charging or a brilliant battery so my next phone will feel amazing to me lol

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm tempted daily to upgrade my phone and I get so close to pulling the trigger. My wife and I paid off our phones. I currently have the LG G4 and she has an iPhone 6. It's so nice saving $60 a month. I will keep my phone until this one bootloops. Phones nowadays are just incremental upgrades at best. Especially if you are using a "flagship."

One benefit of not paying for phones is now that one of our car's transmission is biting the dust and we are in the position now to be able to look at buying a used vehicle to replace it. Our main vehicle we are paying a car payment on while the second one that needs to be replaced has been paid off for a few years.

Sometimes you have to sacrifice things you want, like the latest smartphone, to be able to get the things you need in life. A car to get me to work is a need. The latest smartphone isn't.

If my G4 dies, then I'll have to figure out a way to replace it as best as I can. But I may not be able to get the latest one. Just my thoughts.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I don't need to upgrade. Sometimes I just like the feeling of having a new toy. Although this time the s8 doesn't seem to be much of an upgrade from the s7 edge IMO. Don't think I'll be upgrading this time.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I got a used Note 5 on amazon and had an s7edge on Jump. The edge I got when it was about half off. Decided to put it and the note 5 up for sale and see which sold first. The 7edge did so I've got the note 5. Only issue with the note 5 is the battery life usually it's fine but it will drop quicker when I'm riding and using a GPS workout app. Planned to hold onto it until the note comes out but will see.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
No. This is just about having the latest.

I can't even say the greatest why because yesterday I sold my 256GB iPhone 7 Plus and got the moto Z.

I wasn't​ really interested but got a deal and wanted to try moto Mods. Spec wise it's ancient in the tech world. I mean I sold my OnePlus 3 for 3t because they upgraded to the 821.

I'm using the Z and I can tell you I can't tell the difference between the two.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
No. This is just about having the latest.

I can't even say the greatest why because yesterday I sold my 256GB iPhone 7 Plus and got the moto Z.

I wasn't​ really interested but got a deal and wanted to try moto Mods. Spec wise it's ancient in the tech world. I mean I sold my OnePlus 3 for 3t because they upgraded to the 821.

I'm using the Z and I can tell you I can't tell the difference between the two.

Haha...I miss those days when I use to do this exact thing .

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I had a 7 edge on jump that ingot when it was on sale at tmobile. Recently sold it and still have a note 5 I got off of amazon a few weeks back. Currently I'm only using the note 5 so I'm in a position to go with the s8 or Note 8. May do a j.o.d. for s8 plus then jump to note 8. Undecided at the moment. Very curious as to when the s8/plus will go on pre-order with tmobile

jas_pe

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm there with you. I still really like my S7e, and don't plan on spending another $1000 just have the very latest Samsung flagship. I might feel differently when the S9 or Note-whatever comes out in another year or so.

Justin731

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
I don't think there is a point if you already have an S7 because you will get the same software updates at around the same time. Unless you are using something like an S5 or S6, I probably wouldn't upgrade.

Taybarnett

Mar 21, 2017
Visit site
Need to? No, of course not. Im using the Moto Z Force without any issues, but the S8 looks really nice. Also, the camera on the S8 is probably a huge upgrade from my Moto, but I could just pull the trigger on the hasselblad camera mod, or buy an actual camera if I feel the need.

On a sidenote, while I'm not needing an upgrade, I'm very excited to hear about new flagships and see the design choices they're making, as it says a lot about where tech is headed. I'm loving how Samsung and LG are moving towards smaller bezels and I hope other OEMs follow suit.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87