Do you really need to upgrade?

kregar

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Need to? No, of course not. Im using the Moto Z Force without any issues, but the S8 looks really nice. Also, the camera on the S8 is probably a huge upgrade from my Moto, but I could just pull the trigger on the hasselblad camera mod, or buy an actual camera if I feel the need.

On a sidenote, while I'm not needing an upgrade, I'm very excited to hear about new flagships and see the design choices they're making, as it says a lot about where tech is headed. I'm loving how Samsung and LG are moving towards smaller bezels and I hope other OEMs follow suit.

Agrred. I don't need to upgrade my Note 5. It's almost brand new and does everything well. I am excited to see the S8 + hands on. I'm sure I will be tempted though.

Kregar

orangecroc

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
I can't justify upgrading until I see that the s8 has a feature I can't do without that isn't in cheaper handsets. Chinese firms are showing that the price of a phone doesn't have to be nearly $1000 for a top quality product.

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I've been mostly a Nexus fan...last four (five if I count the Nexus One) phones have been Nexii. I didn't even bite on the Pixel. The last Samsung phone I owned was the Galasy S2 Skyrocket. The wifey has had mostly Samsungs, her last two were the Note 7 (sigh) and S7 edge.

I'm on the fence with an S8. I would more likely get it for the wife than myself, though I'd jump off the Nexus train if the Note 8 (or whatever it'll be called) comes out.

gearty14

Mar 21, 2017
Visit site
I wouldn't be upgrading from an s7, I dont think the differences are enoguh to justify it. I'm still using my s5 that has just recently started to slow down and im noticing the camera falling behind most others out thereso I'll be making the switch once I give the s8 about of month or 2 on the market

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm currently using an S7. I only bought that because I had been using a Pixel XL and when I bought my Gear S3 LTE the Pixel and the S3 were having some issues, one of which was not taking and unanswered call to voicemail if it wasn't answered AND the caller not hearing any rings. I liked the Gear S3 enough to give the Pixel to my wife and to get myself and S7.

I've used carrier phones since the days of bag phones and went to the pixel because I was just tired of being tied to a carrier. I really miss the Pixel and the no lag, quick response of that phone. I like the Samsung because of the great screen and Samsung Pay, the finger monitor for oxygen etc. For me it was a real tradeoff, the Pixel is a very fast, very smooth phone while the S7 has the same old lag and jankiness. But, the S7 also has features that I like and SPay and SHealth for things I use daily and almost daily.

I'm on the fence about getting the S8, I'll wait and see if it really is that much of a game changer in terms of the things I use on a phone. If it is I may order one, but not in the first crazy rush of the true believers, I'll wait until things settle down and we have a chance to see the phone being used day to day and how it is working out and if there are any major issues.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I'm there with you. I still really like my S7e, and don't plan on spending another $1000 just have the very latest Samsung flagship. I might feel differently when the S9 or Note-whatever comes out in another year or so.
7 edge here too. I will take a look at what the S8Plus really has to offer, but I'm real interested in the next Note.

Mike1117

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
I upgrade every other generation. I will definitely be upgrading from my S6 edge, but if I had a S7 I would most likely sit tight for another year. There is more of a performance gap between 2 generations than 1 and I think battery life tends to dip around the 2 year mark (which is what I am currently finding on my S6 edge.

honda-Dave

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
I really want to get the S8+, but I'm a Note guy, and I will hold on to this S7 Edge until the Note 8 comes out, unless Samsung lets me trade in this S7 for the S8, then I will do it, lol.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I like my S7, mostly. If I could select what options I want from the samsung software, and what I want from sprint I would like it more. I've wanted to go unlocked for a long time and I may finally make the switch which means switching carriers and that will not break my heart at all. Mostly have stuck with sprint because of cost and while some things have gotten better, some have not.

I recently bought a Moto G4 on swappa in preparation for the switch and because I wanted to see if a budget oriented device could meet my usage needs. In the little bit I've played with it, gaming and what not, it has done everything I need it to and is just as fast as my S7. It blows the S7 out of the water for battery life and I thought 2GB of ram might be an issue it hasn't as I consistently have under 1GB of ram usage which is easily 2-2.5GB less than my S7. My S7 eats the battery no matter how many times I do a factory reset and how much stuff I disable. The camera is great, but for the cost I'm not sure its justifiable any more. If the camera on the Moto G5 plus is 90% of the S7 and just as fast, I can't justify the S8 for $400-$500 more.

Unless there is a heck of a deal, I may be done with carrier phones.

MEMTigGriz1

Mar 21, 2017
Visit site
the tech just isn't improving fast enough to warrant a necessary upgrade every year.. at this point, 3 year old phones work well.. if you're upgrading each year then more power to you

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
It's that time again when I start getting that itchy trigger finger. I don't know if I could wait for the Note 8.

Storm24

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I don't think anybody really NEEDS to upgrade unless they are still rocking the flip phones. I have an S7E. I will upgrade because I want more screen real estate. And the hope that it has a better DAC for better sounding music. Should I upgrade? Probably not... But will I? Yes sir...