Laptop doesn't recognise my Galaxy S3

Anka7995

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Hello,
I have Galaxy S3 with 4.3 Android version and Asus laptop. I have had this phone for about a year and it encountered no problem other than a couple of weeks back it had problems with charging, I sent it to the service centre and now it works fine but now my laptop doesn't recognise my device. I have tried to connect it in download mode but still nothing. It just shows that its charging... and even my laptop doesn't recognise that a USB device is connected to it...
Help!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like they replaced the micro-USB port and in doing so they screwed something up.

You could try different cables or USB ports, but you may end up having to use a Wi-Fi solution to connect to the phone. Of course, if you ever HAVE to connect using the cable then you're out of luck.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

limbo_willie

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I just now changed out generic usb cable for the "official AT&T" usb cable and now it works perfect! I guess all cables are not created equal.....go figure!

Marese73

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I have this problem too. When I got the phone it did connect and I used kies and air droid for a while and suddenly when I wanted to use the usb again it wont work. I've tried resetting the phone to factory settings and all the rest I've tried changing the settings but my major problem is the pc doesn't recognise the phone when its plugged in. I'm fairly satisfied that its the phone that is the problem as I recently got a new laptop which is windows 8 and downloaded kies etc and it wont work with the new laptop either. I have several other samsung devices in the house and all of them work fine with the laptop, Samsung galaxy express and also Samsung tab. I'm happy that its not the cable as I'm sure this is a data cable which works fine with all the other phones. at this point we have at least 6 data cables all of which work fine with the other devices but not with my S3.

I'm coming to the end of my contract and I intent to get an S5 soon but in the meantime I intent to root my S3 to see how that goes and for that I need to connect via USB. I've tried resetting the phone, starting in download mode, changing the developer options, reinstalling the drivers several times. The fone never goes into USB mode and never shows up connected to the pc even if I try to do it through Kies. Any ideas what I should try next...? I'm trying to remember if this happened after the last update. The fone is on Android 4.3 jellybean, would it even make a difference if I could roll back to the previous version and then try to root the fone and put in a new ROM to solve my problem. I was hoping the update to kit kat might solve my problem but I'm not sure. Any help would be appreciated. by the way I'm on vodafone Ireland. thanks

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
and suddenly when I wanted to use the usb again it wont work
It's quite possible that there's just some gunk in the micro-USB port - you could take the battery out of the phone and then gently poke around in the connector with a sewing needle or something similarly tiny. You could also try compressed air.

If that doesn't work then it's possible that the port needs to be replaced.

I assume that the phone charges normally? No weird shenanigans with having to hold the connector at a certain angle, etc?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Marese73

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
It's quite possible that there's just some gunk in the micro-USB port - you could take the battery out of the phone and then gently poke around in the connector with a sewing needle or something similarly tiny. You could also try compressed air.

If that doesn't work then it's possible that the port needs to be replaced.

I assume that the phone charges normally? No weird shenanigans with having to hold the connector at a certain angle, etc?

Thanks, I have been all over the forums recently and tried all kinds of solutions and it seems that it is the charging port which may be at fault.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
it seems that it is the charging port which may be at fault.
Bummer. You could look at a wireless charging solution and just ignore the micro-USB port issue, but of course if you have to flash the firmware then you're stuck.

http://www.fonefunshop.co.uk/Unlocking/unlock/i900_boot_repair.htm is the only place I'm aware of on that side of the pond but you can probably find an electronics shop locally to replace that part.

Marese73

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Bummer. You could look at a wireless charging solution and just ignore the micro-USB port issue, but of course if you have to flash the firmware then you're stuck.

JTAG / Boot / Software / Un Brick Repair Service for Samsung, HTC, LG, Sony Ericsson, ZTE is the only place I'm aware of on that side of the pond but you can probably find an electronics shop locally to replace that part.

Thanks for that, I will have to get the port repaired even if I upgrade I want to keep my S3 and maybe pass it on to someone else in the house here. Its too good a phone to bin when a couple of small repairs can be made, plus I've never rooted a phone and I figured if I used this one after I upgrade it wouldn't be the end of the world if anything nasty happened. Learned from experience an all that...:)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87