Is there any way to remove touchwiz

TerryMasters

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Give yours to me and go buy a new one. Problem solved.

1 + 1 = 2

sent to you in three dimensions

Wow, you answer him like a total jackass and then call him the troll. For what, asking a legitimate question? Amazing. People like you are the reason forums have mods.

Back to the topic, I don't think you can. But I don't root myself, and maybe rooted devices have a chance to revert. From what I'm hearing you need the Touchwiz update in order to get any future updates though, which sucks for me because I haven't installed and really don't want Touchwiz.

Reactions: jone216

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, unless you were rooted, I think you're out of luck. Unless, of course, the TW update becomes rootable, at which point you can reinstall the original rom. Try the XDA forums maybe?

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
At some point you are going to have to install Touchwiz. Samsung isn't going to make two flavors (no pun intended) of Honeycomb for the Tab. They will prerequisite Touchwiz before any other Honeycomb/Ice Cream update.

Anev

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
At some point you are going to have to install Touchwiz.

That's what bugs me. I would be happy to return mine and get another but if I want the bug fixes and other things I'm forced to use their design - without even being asked to dinner first.

jone216

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Wow, you answer him like a total jackass and then call him the troll. For what, asking a legitimate question? Amazing. People like you are the reason forums have mods.

Back to the topic, I don't think you can. But I don't root myself, and maybe rooted devices have a chance to revert. From what I'm hearing you need the Touchwiz update in order to get any future updates though, which sucks for me because I haven't installed and really don't want Touchwiz.
thanks for the info

saukriver

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
[I did not think there is any way to get me to register with Android Central. ;0)]

I installed Touchwiz because the podcast from AC on Thursday was so high on Touchwiz for the Samsung Tab.

I cannot stand the Touchwiz installed for the Samsung Tab. I have gone from loving the Samsung Tab 10.1 and now telling all my friends not to bother. I may just sell my Tab 10.1 on eBay and get the Thrive or wait until the Lenovo tablet comes out.

I am amazed at how klutzy the Touchwiz is. If there is no way to go back to stock, this will be the last Samsung product I ever buy. (Canon refused to send me a printer rebate in 1993, and I have never bought another Canon product.)

I am still upbeat with Android Central, but seriously the portion of the podcast on Touchwiz for the Samsung Tab 10.1 was a major lapse in judgment.

What I hate about Touchwiz for Samsung Tab 10.1:

--more ads pop up (e.g., when watching YouTube)
--persistent screen capture button on bottom toolbar just gets in they way
--carousel installed at bottom to useless Samsung apps.
--boatload of Samsung apps installed that I don't like
--Task Manger app. has an "End All" option that does not close all the active apps.
--changed the options button for options w/in applications

IF YOU ARE THINKING OF DOWNLOADING TOUCHWIZ, THINK HARD ABOUT THE CHOICE FOR YOU. I have shifted radically from a huge fan of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (I have bought 2) to wishing Samsung nothing but ill.

neova333

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
LOL @ this thread.

Anyways, reverting back to stock 3.1 is extremely easy and all the files you need are at xda.

Here is a quick outline of what to do:

-Flash CWM via Odin
-Flash stock OTA HC 3.1
-Do a factory reset in CWM (this won't wipe what you have in /sdcard)
-Flash stock recovery

Fin. No more TouchWiz and the whole process shouldn't take longer than 15 minutes.

Again, all the files you need are posted at XDA along with more detailed instructions and a youtube video that walks you through the whole process.

saukriver

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
-Do a factory reset in CWM (this won't wipe what you have in /sdcard)

Fine, but there is no sdcard on the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, This may only take you 15 minutes, but don't you have to want to root the Tab first?

Seems like this is a monster headache that Samsung has dropped on its users like feces.

neova333

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Fine, but there is no sdcard on the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, This may only take you 15 minutes, but don't you have to want to root the Tab first?

Seems like this is a monster headache that Samsung has dropped on its users like feces.

No, you don't have to root the tab first.

HC still creates a /sdcard directory which it uses to store some app data and it's where all your downloads go as well.

And from what I've seen around the net yours is a minority opinion. I've always been a pretty die hard "stock" experience kind of person when it comes to android, but the numerous bug fixes and optimization Samsung has done has made it worth acclimating to the different look imo.

As for your complaints, well, one of the draws of android is that you can do just about anything you want to it without Steve Jobs holding your hand and telling you what you can and can't do to your device. There are solutions available that address every one of your complaints, all it requires on your part is a little bit of reading over at the xda dev forum and maybe some Google-fu.

p.s. You shouldn't be using the task manager to kill apps unless they are misbehaving. The android OS is designed to keep apps in ram, and killing apps may be detrimental to performance.

mycrownvic02#WN

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
[I did not think there is any way to get me to register with Android Central. ;0)]

I installed Touchwiz because the podcast from AC on Thursday was so high on Touchwiz for the Samsung Tab.

I cannot stand the Touchwiz installed for the Samsung Tab. I have gone from loving the Samsung Tab 10.1 and now telling all my friends not to bother. I may just sell my Tab 10.1 on eBay and get the Thrive or wait until the Lenovo tablet comes out.

I am amazed at how klutzy the Touchwiz is. If there is no way to go back to stock, this will be the last Samsung product I ever buy. (Canon refused to send me a printer rebate in 1993, and I have never bought another Canon product.)

I am still upbeat with Android Central, but seriously the portion of the podcast on Touchwiz for the Samsung Tab 10.1 was a major lapse in judgment.

--Task Manger app. has an "End All" option that does not close all the active apps.

IF YOU ARE THINKING OF DOWNLOADING TOUCHWIZ, THINK HARD ABOUT THE CHOICE FOR YOU. I have shifted radically from a huge fan of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (I have bought 2) to wishing Samsung nothing but ill.

Kinda seems like you just like to hear yourself complain... Touchwiz runs much beter than the stock buggy os. Did you like the 3.1 browser lag that the tab had before the update? if its that big of a deal just root it, it takes a grand total of 5 minutes..... Otherwise apple has an ipad, and moto has a zoom. My tab is rooted, but i still run a stock rom w/touchwiz. It just runs somuch smoother than stock honeycomb. I think samsung did a good job with the update.

DaEXfactoR

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure you can find a way over on XDA those guys are awesome..

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DaEXfactoR

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site

Just trade it already. You surely aren't going to convince many people on this site to feel the way you feel. Why do people feel forums are their own little soapbox. I wouldn't be surprised if you registered just to complain and not even an Android enthusiast.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Last edited: