Problems Converting DVDs

timbo1957

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I'm very new to this technology so please be kind.

I have been told that rather than download films to the device I can take films I have recorded myself and convert them. Handbrake was mentioned so I downloaded it and have been trying in vain to convert some of my own dvd's.

I have tried several of the presets Android High, Android Mid but I either get a converted file that won't play or a film where the file is very tall and not very wide.

Can anyone give me step by step instructions on how to use this tool if indeed it is the right tool. I have looked on line and most of these tools have bad reviews because they download a lot of "crapware" when you install them. Even the ones on sale on Amazon hyave poor reviews.

Many thanks.

timbo1957

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Bumped.

Hi sorry to pester you kind people for an answer but this is driving me nuts.

I have converted a home recorded dvd to an .mp4 file using Leawo.

This plays perfectly on the pc.

But I just can't seem to get the file to convert for the tablet properly. I upload it using Kies and I either get a film with 0 minutes that won't play or I get the film with the full running time displayed but when I try and play the video i get a message that says unable to play video.

really would appreciate some advice on this.

many thanks.

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I can't really advise on those programmes as I haven't use them. I use any DVD converter for android, Magic DVD converter and any DVD converter for ipod and iphone. They are all paid for applications but they all work flawlessly when converting DVDs to my various devices.

Camilo

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Coming in very late to this discussion. I've only converted commercial dvds (ones I rent and ones I own), but this is what I do:

I bought the paid version of Aimersoft DVD Ripper for my laptop. If I recall correctly, I used the free version at first, and then was happy to get the paid version. I've used it a LOT. I can recommend it without hesitation.

When you get set to rip/convert the DVD, it gives you an extensive menu of devices to rip for. I mean extensive. I, of course, chose the Samsung Galaxy Tab option (I can't remember if it gives you an option for Tab vs Tab 2, but it doesn't matter, see below).

This menu of devices simply shortcuts your need to know what file format is used by your device. If you know that, you can simply tell the program to rip/convert the file from the dvd that particular format. There's nothing magical other than the software knowing what format your device uses.

The Samsung Tab setting rips/converts the file to an MP4 file which is readable on my Tab2 and many other devices. Really, all you need to know is what video file formats the player on your device uses, but I think MP4 is a pretty generic and universally usable format.

As part of the rip/convert menu, you choose the folder on your computer to save the converted file too. It defaults to a file it names in your Documents folder, but you can create a destination file anywhere and tell it to save there.

Then you just hook up your device to the computer - I use USB, I haven't tried wireless for this. You then find the videos or movies folder on your device or make one on your external SD card. I can't remember what it's called, it might not matter. You simply copy the converted files from your computer to the device in the proper folder.

I mention it might not matter what the folder is called, because -again if I recall correctly - your video player app on the device will search for video files when you open it. I'm a little vague on this because it's become so routine for me. But I don't recall any real problems the first time, except for maybe figuring out exactly where to put the file on the device.

There's easy to follow user interfaces on the Aimersoft ripper. One thing that I played around with was exactly which files on the DVD needed to be copied. The software automatically chooses the main movie file which is the complete movie beginning to end. That is pretty fool proof. There's a bunch of other files on the disk, separate files for some opening titles, movie pre-views, extra features, etc. I generally convert and transfer all the files, but put the minor files into a separate folder within the video (or movie) folder called something like "extra files". Then when I'm bored on the airplane and the movie's done, I can look at them and see if there's anything interesting I missed, like the outtakes, previews etc. you can generally tell which files are of possible value by the size. You can also preview them within the conversion screen before you actually rip them if you want.

Hope that is germane to your question!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa