Samsung Tab 3 8 refuses to respond to touch?

WhaleTrain

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys my Tab 3 seems to have developed a problem of some sort. Basically, I lock the Tab 3 and then I press the button to awaken the device. The lock screen comes on as normal but for some reason, the bar instead of being clear, it goes Black, as though an app is running but I can't actually unlock the device nor can I use it. The only thing I can do is drag the notification bar down from the top. The touch-sensitive lights stay on also.

Is this a case of a hardware problem or could this be fixed with a simple factory restore? Should I go back to the place I bought it from?

Thanks.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys my Tab 3 seems to have developed a problem of some sort. Basically, I lock the Tab 3 and then I press the button to awaken the device. The lock screen comes on as normal but for some reason, the bar instead of being clear, it goes Black, as though an app is running but I can't actually unlock the device nor can I use it. The only thing I can do is drag the notification bar down from the top. The touch-sensitive lights stay on also.

Is this a case of a hardware problem or could this be fixed with a simple factory restore? Should I go back to the place I bought it from?

Thanks.

I saw this exact problem on a display model in a toys r us once. (Not that that helps you) it's pretty weird. I think it is a hardware problem, go back to where you bought it would be my advice.

WhaleTrain

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
This is what I can't understand. Should I try a factory reset first and see if it fixes the problem? If it carries on I will go back to where I bought it from and try to replicate the error infront

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
This is what I can't understand. Should I try a factory reset first and see if it fixes the problem? If it carries on I will go back to where I bought it from and try to replicate the error infront

Absolutely, always do a factory reset with every problem before a return. In this case however i would be a little leary about that because even if it fixes the problem it might come back at any time. Originally it one day it just happened right? Whats to say that if a factory reset fixes it that it wont mess up again in a month or so when you can no longer take it back?

WhaleTrain

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Ah I see what you mean then. I suppose there is a risk either way. The problem just happened all of a sudden, I was trying to use my tablet and I just couldn't. I was just thinking though, here in the UK we had the 1, 2 , 3 offer where we got 2 years warranty, a 16GB SD card and 1 years accidental damage with Samsung. All I think though is that they will say "have you tried a reset?". What I'll do is reset it back to factory default and hope that it will just go away. I mean could it be a background app that is problematic? I suspect that it might just be an app crashing in the background or locking up as it doesn't happen on a constant basis so it might be hard to replicate it in the shop :S

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Try the factory reset and hope for the best. The one I saw in the store I only looked at for a minute so I don't know what the story was with that. It definitely could be an app though. I have had a few different problems with a few different apps and devices in the last couple of years. If it is an app a reset will fix it. Do you remember a particular app that you installed coinciding with the problem starting?

WhaleTrain

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Well my theory is it could just be software as it doesn't do it normally and sometimes after a reset it will work. In terms of apps coincidentally making it happen there isn't anything I can remember installing then it happening. It was just one night I got into bed, grabbed my tablet and and went to unlock it and it just wouldn't respond. The black bar was there so I was a bit puzzled as it's usually transparent but the black bar now allows me to know when it happens. My S4 doesn't do this and that is running the same apps. Nonetheless, I shall reset the device and hope for the best. If not, go to Currys and ask them about it and then hopefully a replacement.

Thanks for the help :)

WhaleTrain

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Just an update. Restored the device but went to Currys anyway to enquire about the "not responding to touch" fiasco and they said I could have an exchange under 21 day policy. Exchanged it for a brand new one which is nice.

Thanks again for all the help.

Mods, feel free to lock this thread :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez