video player annoyance

wms3

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
Apparently the video player in the tab pro 8.4 is not as robust as the video player in my old Tab 2 7- inch. I pulled the micro SD card from the old tablet and popped it in my new one. Some of the videos gave me the error: unsupported video codec, or unsupported audio codec. I went to the play store and downloaded the free version of the MX player. At first I got the same error messages, but in the settings I selected hardware decoder. Now all of my videos play perfectly. Just thought I would pass this on in case anyone else is having problems.

Posted via my Samsung Apple killer

storino03

May 31, 2010
Visit site
The built-in video players are always hit or miss. I use MX Player on my Galaxy S3 more than the video app by Samsung, simply because it supports more codecs.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
The best video players are MX Player and BS Player.

Sent from my AT&T One X running CodefireX ROM Android Version 4.4.

Pokaroo

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
Tried BS player, very nice! Plays all of my MKV's and other files without issue. Most other players didnt play the sound to my MKV's.
Thanks!!

wms3

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
thanks everyone for all of the good info! i never had any issues with the stock video player on my older tablet and so I was very surprised when suddenly I had trouble. Thank goodness for apps!

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
thanks everyone for all of the good info! i never had any issues with the stock video player on my older tablet and so I was very surprised when suddenly I had trouble. Thank goodness for apps!

Which video player did you decide on using?

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
As I said in my original post, the VX player using hardware decoding. To date it has played everything Ive thrown at it. Ive not yet tried loading any mkv files.

Sorry, my mistake. I confused you with someone else who was having trouble playing videos within the 100+ posts I see everyday...

Anyways, MX Player plays MKV files fine as well as subtitles if the video file has any.