just updated to Lollipop, but I don't really see anything different?

TENYKS

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
just updated to Lollipop, but I don't really see anything different? (other than the obvious change in background colors and some fonts)

I felt the same way when my Galaxy S5 phone was recently updated to Lollipop.

Am I missing something here?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Lockscreen notifications (and now annoyingly pop up notifications at the top of the notification bar), Smart Lock from Google (you can turn secure lockcreens off at trusted locations or when paired with trusted devices), new animations when touching items and activating stuff as well as when scrolling past the top or bottom limits, Smaller notification bar, like you say, the obvious changes in color palettes. Thankfully Samsung left the interruptions untouched for this one, so the Mute button is still there. I can't recall if the Notification Access menu was there before or not, but now it is (basically apps that access your notifications to display them elsewhere).

Oh, and there's also the fact that music controls on the lockscreen are gone. They're now relegated to a tiny notification card (which comes from your player's notification, actually, so if you disable lockscreen notifications, music controls are gone for good from the lockscreen).

And the Multitasking Menu has been made to coincide with the style from the Note 4 (again, I liked the way it was before as it was non-invasive).

Everything else happens under the hood.

D Android

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
I hated Lollipop on my Note 4. Lots of things didn't work properly and I went back to KitKat as soon as I could. I will not be doing the same to my Tab in a hurry.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
So far I haven't had performance issues (if at all, it's improved BT streaming sync, but a few apps, like Netflix, still show a noticeable delay). And while some features are cool and I do like the new animations and color palette, there are annoyances like the lack of proper Music Controls or not being able to disable those darn pop-up notifications at the top.

TENYKS

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Oh! One more thing! The tablet FINALLY has Auto-Update options for Time/Date!

won't that cause space time continuum disruptions?

I just noticed how BRIGHT the new keyboard is.... :( As soon as the keyboard showed up, I was screaming "my eyes! my eyes! my eyes!" I was in a conference room and the lights were all turned off because we were doing a presentation. The BRIGHT keyboard really hurt my eyes. Thanks, Google! :mad:

D Android

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site

I just noticed how BRIGHT the new keyboard is.... :( As soon as the keyboard showed up, I was screaming "my eyes! my eyes! my eyes!" I was in a conference room and the lights were all turned off because we were doing a presentation. The BRIGHT keyboard really hurt my eyes. Thanks, Google! :mad:

I'm not a fan of all that brightness either, too much in your face for my liking.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Just as a side note... if you're using the stock keyboard on the Tab S, that's Samsung's implementation, not Google's. I don't use the stock one, so I don't know if it changed or not. I use SwiftKey.

TENYKS

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Hahaha
I meant that it can now auto-update from the Network. Before it couldn't and it kept getting out of sync with other devices.

sorry... that's what I meant to say.... When it could *not* auto-update, it was causing space time continuum disruptions which could have ruptured the solar system. (just kidding) :D :D :D Samsung probably saw this and fixed it, thus making our galaxy safe again. :)

barth2

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site

Isn't that the Samsung keyboard?

But yeah we have Google to thank for lollipop being white.

leerandall

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site

pbelfi

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
what videos were you trying to play? send the link and I'll try it on mine. :)

I can't seem to play Flash vids anymore in Firefox either. I've got Flash 11.1 installed (re-installed after the update to Lollipop to make sure). I had no problems playing Flash before the 5.0.2 update. Can you try the video at the beginning of this article, please? Thanks in advance.

**** Durbin Says He Won't Vote For Government Funding Bill Without Sequester Fix

I just watched this video with no issues at all... Also using 5.0.2 update.

TENYKS

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Hmmm. I'll have to do some troubleshooting. Thanks.

I also tried that video. Played just fine in Chrome and stock browsers.
Strangely, that page repeatedly crashed the Dolphin browser. :confused:

By the way, that's not a Flash video. I don't have Flash(Android) installed on my Tab S 10.5.

leerandall

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
I also tried that video. Played just fine in Chrome and stock browsers.
Strangely, that page repeatedly crashed the Dolphin browser. :confused:

By the way, that's not a Flash video. I don't have Flash(Android) installed on my Tab S 10.5.

I would guess, then, that it's some HTML5 player.

The video at this link, though, I can't get to play either with or without Flash or with the HTML5 YouTube Everywhere that I installed. Can you?

Recording Shows Germanwings Pilot Desperately Tried to Enter Cockpit Before Crash - NBC News