On my Tab S , why won't the 'Back & recent app' keys light up?

garryg

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Tab S - 'Back & recent app' keys will not light up.

I've been to Settings>Display>Touch key light duration & set it to 'always on' but they do not light up at all - anybody know why ?
Thanks in advance for any help.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Tab S - 'Back & recent app' keys will not light up.

Do they light up when you press them? Or never at all? I can't remember if they light up if you reboot the tablet...

garryg

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site

I've only had the tablet a couple of days but I can't remember them being lit at all, they don't light up when I press them - I've tried restarting the tablet but no luck.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

If you've only had it for a couple of days, then I'd try doing a factory reset and if that doesn't work, just take it back and get it replaced.

Mine's at home, so I can't verify if they light up at reboot, but I'll check when I get back.

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

My Tab S 10.5 (should be similar, no?) was in Standby. When I pressed the middle button (what's it called? Home?), those two buttons lit up then went out. As I entered my Password, they lit up again. Now that it is awake, Pressing the middle button does not light them up. But if I press either one, they both light up. I have Display/Touch-key-light-duration at 1.5 seconds. I don't recall, this there a setting to keep them OFF permanently?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

I don't think there is a setting to keep them off. Because well, then how can you tell that you're pressing them, right? That's why if a factory reset doesn't take care of it, I'd say this is a hardware issue.

garryg

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Re: On my Tab S , why won't the 'Back & recent app' keys light up?

I've had a play around and the buttons now light up, I'm not sure what I did to get them to work but think it may be something to do with the 'power saving' mode which I had turned on but is now turned off. Trouble is, now the buttons light up, I can't get the power saving to turn on.
By the way, With the 'touch key light duration' you can choose between always on, never on, 1.5 seconds or 6 seconds.

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I don't think there is a setting to keep them off. Because well, then how can you tell that you're pressing them, right? That's why if a factory reset doesn't take care of it, I'd say this is a hardware issue.

Glad you got it working. And, just crack it up to being OLD, but I'm not sure how I missed "permanently OFF!!!!"