Need to plan out and get resources for rooting Galaxy Tab s2

klear6

Feb 14, 2016
Visit site
Hey guys. I have a Galaxy Tab s2 and spent a long time arguing with T-Mobile after the power button stopped working, they agreed to send me a new one. The weird thing is that after all that arguing it turns out I don't need to return the old one. So I am going to use the new one for work and the old one for fun - and I want to root it. I want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before I start that process. The only thing I have rooted before is my old Galaxy Lite and that was years ago. So I want to see if I have everything lined up right.

I will need the ROM (and I don't know which one to get, or where - help on that would be appreciated)
I will need Odin to flash the ROM
I will need TWRP but I dont remember why ??? Something about making a recovery ROM?
Once I have those things, what is the best way to go about the process?

After I have rooted it I know that I need SuperSU (I think for permissions?)
I have copies of Gravity Box and Lucky Patcher I got for the old phone.
Titanium backup is also important right? And Helium?

Sorry if I sound like a dolt, but can you guys help me get organized?
Also, what apps do you recommend putting on it to get the full use of root?

I need to make sure I have a backup of the original ROM and some way to get it on there, just in case.

One last thing, the tablet ships with Lollipop but using system update I can update it to Marshmallow if I want. If I am going to be flashing a custom ROM does it matter what version it was running before? And if I am making a backup of the original ROM should I do it for the Lollipop one or Marshmallow?

I have a few days given it is a holiday weekend, so any small bit of information anyone can give will be put to good use because I will have a some time to get everything set up.

Sidenote: I don't know what is wrong with the power button. It works some of the time and not other times. I can turn the screen off after clicking it a few times but I am afraid I won't be able to turn it back on again so I just leave it plugged in and use MacroDroid to alter the screen timeout to never while it is charging. Any ideas on the hardware problem? Could it be a software glitch in any way? That would be easier to fix.