MHL and battery icon query

emelcee

Jan 17, 2017
Visit site
Hi, my first post so please be gentle...

I'm having trouble displaying my Tab S2 8 on my living room TV (LG 43LF630V) via an MHL adapter. I've managed to get it working several times but each time have been unable to reproduce it which is driving me crazy. I'm now wondering if it could be a power issue. I read somewhere that unless the S2 is receiving power to charge its battery screen sharing may not work. The exact same set-up works fine with my smaller Samsung TV (UE32K5600) even though neither TV is on the MHL compliant devices list. Could it be that the Samsung is actually compliant and therefore supplying power to charge the S2's battery via its HDMI port? The MHL adapter has a micro-USB socket on the side to provide power from one of the TVs USB ports which, if I understand correctly, means it should work even on non-compliant TVs.

This brings me on to the battery icon. When using the mains to charge the S2 the battery icon contains a black lightning flash whereas when plugged into my PC USB port a red cross appears over the top which I believe means it's still charging, but using a lower voltage. When I connect the S2 to either TV via MHL (with the USB power cable plugged in) neither of these icons shows and the battery % slowly drops. Interestingly, however, the mini-USB side of the adapter has a 5-pin to 11-pin converter and if I remove the 11-pin piece the icon with the red cross appears. The 11-pin is required for screen-sharing. I didn't notice whether the red cross battery icon was showing when I had it working on the LG TV and now I can't get it working again to check.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
The USB port for charging on your MHL adapter might only provides 0.5 Amp, similar to your PC USB port, which is not sufficient for charging. When doing this, you may see the red battery icon on the top right of your tablet, the sign that your tablet detects a data connection. Your tablet can be charged but it's very slow. When charging this battery icon changes to green, the charging current should be around 1.5 to 1.7 Amps with correct USB cable and charger.
You can test your USB port for data connection via PC to verify its working condition. Some tablets have problem of data connection while charging is fine or vice versa. You should transfer data with ease if data connection is working. It doesn't warranty MHL is working and you may need to change the USB port of your tablet. This is only suggestion as one shoe doesn’t fit all. I already saw a tablet with working data and charging but not the MHL connection, in this case the USB port is not related as it's mainboard issue.

If you have screen mirror, try this one: wireless HDMI adapter. Most Smart TVs don't need this adapter as they have screen mirror function built in.
Samsung WI-FI All-Share Cast Hub Wireless HDMI Display Adapter | eBay

Last edited:

emelcee

Jan 17, 2017
Visit site
Thanks Beut for your reply. If I understand you correctly the red battery icon should display when the Tab is connected to the TV via the MHL adapter and the USB cable is connected into the side of the MHL adapter? It doesn't. It shows when I remove the 5-11-pin converter and it also shows when the USB cable is connected from my PC into the Tab. I can also transfer data between the Tab and the PC OK. It sounds like the it's the 5-11 pin converter that's faulty. Would you agree?

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Not sure which one you bought, I bought a cheap one from China ( $4.29 ) just for testing tablet which has no display but sound, it supplies only 0.5 Amp.
So the OEM or quality adapter may charge without problem. PC USB can provide only 0.5 Amp so you should not use it for charging.
My adapter doesn't work with Tab 3, but Note Pro 12.2 or Note 2014 is OK, so you may try another adapter.
Most stores allow to return within 15 days, you should try the best one. I usually buy one if needed then return.

This connection is with a monitor and it works fine without problem.You should try wireless HDMI and screen mirror, it's simple and no messing wires. You can sit with your tablet on the couch and watch movies on TV. I only use the wired MHL adapter when a tablet has no display.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPDrEZ6IRsA

Last edited:

emelcee

Jan 17, 2017
Visit site
My wireless is not good enough so I want to pursue the cable route. Also my issue is not really about charging, it's that the MHL adapter won't work with a non-compliant TV unless there is power via the auxiliary micro-USB. I was only using the battery icon to determine whether there was a power source.

The MHL adapter I bought from PC World was the 'KIT microUSB/HDadaptr'. They seem to have changed their offering to the KIT MHLADNK now but 14 of the first 15 reviews on their own website said it did not work. I have ordered a replacement adapter from elsewhere and will now go for a refund from PC World.

Thanks again for your help.

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
My wireless is not good enough so I want to pursue the cable route.

You don't need WiFi on your tablet, local, or other hot spots to make this work: the All-share has its own, built in 'private wifi' network of sorts that sync with the Samsung feature called SCREEN MIRRORING.

You only need Wifi if whatever you're doing on your tablet needs internet connection like watching Youtube, TV shows, movies online....etc.

emelcee

Jan 17, 2017
Visit site
OK I'm trying the wifi route but can't get it to work. I can see the TV when I select Wifi Direct on the Tab. I can see the Tab on the Wifi Direct screen on the TV. When I select 'connect' on the Tab I get a message on the TV to accept or decline. When I accept a tick appears on the TV screen next to the Tab id which I take to mean that everything is connected. There is a message on the TV that says when connected go to Smartshare to share content. However, when I bring up the list under the Devices option in Smartshare the Tab does not appear so I cannot get any further. Any ideas?

PS I received the new MHL adapter it works just fine. I also got my refund from PC World.

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Screen Mirroring is a screen/sound sharing solution by using the WiFi Direct feature. It features connecting the Galaxy tablet to a larger screen with an All Share Cast dongle or HomeSync. With that, it can share contents.
Your TVs are not smart TV, you need wireless HDMI adapter as I mention above to stream sound/videos.

Here are some uses of Wifi direct
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM3Q1oiHTGU

Here is a guy watches movie or plays game on a smart TV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeCQSkvFtzg

This is a TV that needs dongle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEB96VsR5l8

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member