no sms on att version of galaxy

klondikejim

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if stores and tech support dont know.the product or what but att says they wont support texting on yhe galaxys and I have to use a free sms ap. Lame.if all other carriers will allow text plans. Any att user get it going?

CharlotteJacket

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I haven't been able to get it to work, and that will keep WhatsApp from working, right? Did you register the Tab with Samsung? I haven't been able to get them to accept my AT&T IMEI yet, and that $50 Media Hub credit is hanging out there unclaimed so far.

Codeworks

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I haven't been able to get it to work, and that will keep WhatsApp from working, right? Did you register the Tab with Samsung? I haven't been able to get them to accept my AT&T IMEI yet, and that $50 Media Hub credit is hanging out there unclaimed so far.

I am having the same issue with my IMEI. It will not recognize it in the system, so I am unable to obtain the $50 credit. Very frustrating. I even called Samsung and they could not do it manually either.

The inability to install non-third party apps, no texting, the IMEI issues, however, are outweighed by the built in 16G of memory and data plan flexibility.

CharlotteJacket

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Agreed

I am having the same issue with my IMEI. It will not recognize it in the system, so I am unable to obtain the $50 credit. Very frustrating. I even called Samsung and they could not do it manually either.

The inability to install non-third party apps, no texting, the IMEI issues, however, are outweighed by the built in 16G of memory and data plan flexibility.

Agreed, 100%. I bought the AT&T version (vs VZW) for international roaming and because the data packages were cheaper (I've used just 17MB in five days because I'm normally on some type of wifi), and the internal memory was actually a nice surprise for me.

I'm not giving up with the credit yet. The agent I spoke to on Friday said that they needed to complete some database updates because my IMEI was showing up as a Euro-model cell phone. And that $50 will put it back on price-par with everyone else.

I've also been pleasantly surprised with the battery life. I've been using it quite a bit, and I never have a problem getting through a day. And it will charge on USB, just slowly, but not lugging that charger internationally will be a big help.

@Jahntassa: I suppose the hub credit is just AT&T, but it requires registration with Samsung to activate.

shoman24v

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I probably won't ever go to any of those places so its not an issue.

The Sprint version also has like 4 bloat apps. Sprint zone, sprint tether, 'free games' and think office.

If it wasn't for the fact that CDMA versions can't be hacked like GSM versions to make calls I'd say it offers the most for the money to the average user.

If MMS wasn't included it's really not worth the money.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Tab

CharlotteJacket

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I probably won't ever go to any of those places so its not an issue.

The Sprint version also has like 4 bloat apps. Sprint zone, sprint tether, 'free games' and think office.

If it wasn't for the fact that CDMA versions can't be hacked like GSM versions to make calls I'd say it offers the most for the money to the average user.

If MMS wasn't included it's really not worth the money.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Tab

Are you saying that if MMS isn't included on the AT&T Tab then it isn't worth the money? I guess AT&T and TMo made a mistake building something that you don't need. Poor guys may not sell any at all (except to me, which was exactly what I needed).

I am able to make calls and send SMS/MMS from my, um, phone. No plans to hack a GSM Tab to make calls. But I'll be really happy to drop a local SIM in the Tab to use the web and apps outside of the U.S. without having to change the SIM in my phone and lose my U.S. number.

Sent from my desktop computer

shoman24v

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Are you saying that if MMS isn't included on the AT&T Tab then it isn't worth the money? I guess AT&T and TMo made a mistake building something that you don't need. Poor guys may not sell any at all (except to me, which was exactly what I needed).

I am able to make calls and send SMS/MMS from my, um, phone. No plans to hack a GSM Tab to make calls. But I'll be really happy to drop a local SIM in the Tab to use the web and apps outside of the U.S. without having to change the SIM in my phone and lose my U.S. number.

Sent from my desktop computer
Considering ATT and VZW sell them for near full price, I'd say you're getting less.

For someone who travels GSM is the way to go.

Codeworks

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Why do nice threads always turn in to arguments?

I personally dont care if your Sprint can beat up my AT&T Galaxy Tab (however, I really doubt that it could : )).

What I care about is if anyone HAS been able to obtain their $50 registration Movie credit from AT&T?

Thanks.

shoman24v

May 15, 2010
Visit site

I personally dont care if your Sprint can beat up my AT&T Galaxy Tab (however, I really doubt that it could : )).

What I care about is if anyone HAS been able to obtain their $50 registration Movie credit from AT&T?

Thanks.
Sorry, you need to figure out which number you need to put in on the website.

I had troubles with my Sprint Tab which doesn't have an IMEI. But after some research I got it.

See here: Fun thing, has anyone been able to register their tab at the samsung site? - xda-developers

CharlotteJacket

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Not Yet

Thanks.

Not yet. They fixed the scripting on the registration page, but my IMEI still isn't accepted. The twitter support says keep trying. Apparently, it took a few days to get the TMo IMEI's loaded, too.

CharlotteJacket

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Got registered tonight. This time, I logged in and went to the registration page. It didn't work.

So, I went to the AT&T Tab page, selected the "I Own This" box, and then selected the "Register Now" box on that page. It pre-populated the registration form with the correct model information, and when I entered my IMEI, it pulled up the manufactured date like it's supposed to. I thought I was in. But no...

When I clicked "Submit", it asked me to enter my phone number. So I had to go back to my profile page, enter phone numbers, and then re-do the process described above.

It took my registration, sent me an email with a Media Hub code, and that code worked. $50.00 rental credit that expires on 2/1/11.

CharlotteJacket

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Do you see a green "I Own This" box on this page? This page is specific to the AT&T version. I didn't look to see if you had to be logged into to see it.

Last edited:

klondikejim

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Great tip on the I own this device. I at least got it to enter my info in the sub catagories, though, my SN still shows up as invalid. Samsung says they will enter it today. Sigh.... I love my tab. My only option in Alaska is ATT and if they let me put it on my post paid account, I would love it even more. Not being able to SMS is a bit of a problem for me, over came with Google Voice, but still I would prefer a simple SMS process. Stinks they advertise on ATT website, the superior contact and SMS capability of the device, but dont offer text plans.

Codeworks

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Am I the only one who is still unable to register? I have contacted Samsung and they have opened a ticket, but again after 48 hours, my IMEI is still not recognized! Very frustrating to say the least.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olalekan45