Anyone get the OTA update from Verizon yet?

gizzyman

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Just installed the update.zip, anyone who got the ota post what version they are showing now

I didn't have clockwork recovery installed, just boot to recovery. Here is how I installed manually:

1) Download file (from oldpueblo's link above in this post)

2) Place file (update.zip) in root of SD card.

3) Turn device off (completely shut down)

4) Hold Home+Vol up+power, until "SAMSUNG" appears, then immediately let go of buttons.

5) After a few seconds, a menu will come up, scroll down (with volume button) to "apply update.zip", then select (with home key)

Update will automatically install.

If it were me, I would wait for the Verizon push, but I am using mine as wifi only, (not active with Verizon), and I didn't expect to get the update pushed to me.

bovineyard

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I am rooted. I've been reading a lot of people have been able to perform this update and maintain root, so I am hopefull that I can get it done.

Just a little frustrated right now.

Can you unroot? What method were you rooted with? As I said earlier, z4root won't work anymore for me, so it may have something to do with you being rooted. I'm still glad I updated, because it appears to have fixed a sudden drop battery issue I was having. I just don't like having to live with all the verizon bloatware.

If your tab is working fine (and no battery issues) I wouldn't worry about it, and just stay rooted. I don't notice any other benefit from the update except the battery.

Reactions: PookiePrancer

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Can you unroot? What method were you rooted with? As I said earlier, z4root won't work anymore for me, so it may have something to do with you being rooted. I'm still glad I updated, because it appears to have fixed a sudden drop battery issue I was having. I just don't like having to live with all the verizon bloatware.

If your tab is working fine (and no battery issues) I wouldn't worry about it, and just stay rooted. I don't notice any other benefit from the update except the battery.

Thanks for confirming this. I've read of people applying the update while rooted, who were able to maintain root. Wasn't sure what would happen if you unrooted, applied the update, and tried to reroot. Have you tried superoneclick? (Is that what it's called?)

bovineyard

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for confirming this. I've read of people applying the update while rooted, who were able to maintain root. Wasn't sure what would happen if you unrooted, applied the update, and tried to reroot. Have you tried superoneclick? (Is that what it's called?)

No, I haven't tried superoneclick, I may try that after awhile when other reports start coming in, but I don't want to risk bricking my tab just to shed some bloatware.

Sal

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Lots of talk about manually updating.

But I started the thread and am still wondering: Has anyone gotten the OTA update yet? Or, has anyone read elsewhere about anyone getting it over the air? Would love to hear about how/when the install went, etc.

Thanks!

darreno1

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
I received the ota a little while ago. Doesn't seem to do much however overall it does seem less laggy. Others have reported better battery life so I'll test that in the coming days. I got great battery life prior to it but will still welcome any little extra.

Couple things that might answer some questions brought up in this thread:
1. I was on wifi when the update came in so connection type should not matter.
2. I was rooted (z4root) before the update and now I'm no longer rooted. I haven't tried to re-root yet. I'll wait to see how this update fairs over the coming days.

Reactions: PookiePrancer

oldpueblo

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I just checked because I realize I hadn't looked, but I'm still rooted after having done the update manually. I had used z4root to do it and looks like it stayed. My version shows EC02.

bovineyard

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I had z4root, I unrooted before update, and couldn't re-root with z4root, however, superoneclick worked, so I am rooted again.

Also, as I posted earlier, a sudden drop battery issue I was having seems to have been resolved with the update (manual). I got 5 hours yesterday of constant on display at 100%, listening to internet radio, so I think that's pretty good battery life.

Anev

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I got the update last night, I was rooted but I can't remember how I did it. I lost root after the update and working to get it back. z4root doesn't work so I'll look for superoneclick (which may be what I used last time).

As for changes.... I've not really seen anything yet, I never really had issues with anything they mentioned in the update notes so I guess I probably won't notice.

netposer

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
How do we know if we have the update? I had to change my email address on the Tab (long long story) yesterday and when it rebooted after it registered on the Verizon network there was an update.

I'm not sure if that's normal or if it was the update Verizon is pushing out now.

How can I tell?

Here's what I have...

Baseband version
S:I800.0.3V.DL21

Kernal version
root@SEI-28 #3

Build number
SCH-I800.EC02

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Well, I decided to bite the bullet and update since I couldn't put up with the notification every five minutes. Lost root, and z4 doesn't work any more.

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Just used SuperOneClick. It got stuck forever on "installing superuser.apk" (which was left over after the update and the loss of z4 root anyway). After 25 minutes, I decided to just close SOC and run it again. When I did, it said my device was rooted! Confirmed it is with my root-access apps. Whew!

darreno1

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Well after rebooting my Tab I have noticed that the stock browser seemed smoother.
I didn't notice it right after the update (maybe it needed to reboot again for it to take effect) but there is a noticeable difference.