What is this Strange scratch / screen defect on my new Gear S?

ocksway

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Strange scratch / screen defect on new Gear S

I bought my Gear S exactly 13 days ago today. I have been really careful with it, whether it is charging on my bedside or on my wrist during the day. Two days ago, I noticed a weird scratch-like "thing" on the screen. it does not look like a scratch because it seems to be internal (not on the outer surface). When I run my finger over it, I cannot feel any difference in the screen's texture. Additionally, I have tried replicating a scratch like it by using my fingernails or even keys, but nothing causes the watch-face to scratch in even the slightest bit.

This seems like it may be a defect, potentially caused by the curve of the screen. Considering that I have since tried to scratch the watch-face to no avail, and that I have been super careful with the watch, I am fairly certain that I did not cause this scratch. The scratch can be either really difficult to find or very apparent, depending on lighting conditions. I have attached images of the scratch or defect to this post, for your reference.

Can anyone identify what this could be? Has anyone else seen something similar to this? I am planning on going to the AT&T store tomorrow (14th, last, day). I'm wondering if I should bother myself with asking them to fix it, or if I should simply return the device.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post and for helping me. I really appreciate it.2014-12-06 19.16.35.jpg2014-12-06 19.17.25.jpg2014-12-06 19.18.01.jpg2014-12-06 19.20.44.jpg20141206_191935.jpg

Last edited:

Primetimeplaya

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Re: Strange scratch / screen defect on new Gear S

They will most likely challenge you on some level but stand your ground. if you're within the return period and you can't feel the scratch on the screen, chance are you didn't do it. Let them know you mean business and I'm sure things will go your way.

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site

If you really want to scratch it forget your finger nails and pick up a nice piece of granite. If you are looking for an excuse to return it... return it. If you are looking for an excuse to keep it simply go back to store and swap for a new one.

I bought my Gear S exactly 13 days ago today. I have been really careful with it, whether it is charging on my bedside or on my wrist during the day. Two days ago, I noticed a weird scratch-like "thing" on the screen. it does not look like a scratch because it seems to be internal (not on the outer surface). When I run my finger over it, I cannot feel any difference in the screen's texture. Additionally, I have tried replicating a scratch like it by using my fingernails or even keys, but nothing causes the watch-face to scratch in even the slightest bit.

This seems like it may be a defect, potentially caused by the curve of the screen. Considering that I have since tried to scratch the watch-face to no avail, and that I have been super careful with the watch, I am fairly certain that I did not cause this scratch. The scratch can be either really difficult to find or very apparent, depending on lighting conditions. I have attached images of the scratch or defect to this post, for your reference.

Can anyone identify what this could be? Has anyone else seen something similar to this? I am planning on going to the AT&T store tomorrow (14th, last, day). I'm wondering if I should bother myself with asking them to fix it, or if I should simply return the device.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post and for helping me. I really appreciate it.View attachment 152813View attachment 152814View attachment 152815View attachment 152816View attachment 152817

ocksway

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site

Should I even point out the scratch or just say that I want to return it and get a new one for various issues? Such as battery issues.

When I had bought the watch, I called AT&T and spoke to a manager about the underwhelming battery life, and she told me that it could be an issue with my particular unit and that I could exchange mine with another unit. So, should I just pretend like that scratch is unimportant or that I didn't even know about it, (which I think seems kind of suspect) ?

Posted via the Android Central App

Primetimeplaya

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site

Should I even point out the scratch or just say that I want to return it and get a new one for various issues? Such as battery issues.

When I had bought the watch, I called AT&T and spoke to a manager about the underwhelming battery life, and she told me that it could be an issue with my particular unit and that I could exchange mine with another unit. So, should I just pretend like that scratch is unimportant or that I didn't even know about it, (which I think seems kind of suspect) ?

I would tell them about all the issues I have with the device. If it was me, I'd go ahead and mention the scratch and how I think it got there....screen defect. Reason being is that I'm sure they're going to fully inspect it. If they find something like that, they're going to ask you how it got there and then you're going to be trying to explain that away.

That's just me though. I'm also 6'3" 305lbs so people tend to accept what I tell them.......lol.

dorrien12

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site

I would tell them about all the issues I have with the device. If it was me, I'd go ahead and mention the scratch and how I think it got there....screen defect. Reason being is that I'm sure they're going to fully inspect it. If they find something like that, they're going to ask you how it got there and then you're going to be trying to explain that away.

That's just me though. I'm also 6'3" 305lbs so people tend to accept what I tell them.......lol.

Yea I would lead with the scratch as well. Cause if you start with something else and THEY find it, then it's gonna make you look like you did it and you're trying to hide it.

ocksway

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site

Hey Guys,

Thank you for all your help. AT&T has, (unexpectedly) replaced my watch without any discussion required. Not sure if the process was so easy because of the kindness of the AT&T employee who helped me, or if this is general AT&T practice.

Primetimeplaya

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site

Hey Guys,

Thank you for all your help. AT&T has, (unexpectedly) replaced my watch without any discussion required. Not sure if the process was so easy because of the kindness of the AT&T employee who helped me, or if this is general AT&T practice.

Good deal. Glad it worked out for you.