Samsung Gear S2: Nike+ or Samsung S Health?

A

AC Question

I just got this device over the weekend and trying to determine which running app to use. A few questions I'm trying to figure out. Does it matter which one you use? Do they communicate with each other so the data is uploaded into both apps? S Health rebooted the watch on me twice, and Nike+ seems to skip the music playing every time the screen is brought up. Also, is there a way to lengthen the watch display? As soon as I try to look at the screen the display instantly shuts off due to the movement of my arm so I can't see my pace/distance or anything else.

What is everyone else's experiences with these?

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I just got this device over the weekend and trying to determine which running app to use. A few questions I'm trying to figure out. Does it matter which one you use? Do they communicate with each other so the data is uploaded into both apps? S Health rebooted the watch on me twice, and Nike+ seems to skip the music playing every time the screen is brought up. Also, is there a way to lengthen the watch display? As soon as I try to look at the screen the display instantly shuts off due to the movement of my arm so I can't see my pace/distance or anything else.

There is an update coming that increases the time the watch face is on.

Nike plus has everything s health has, but also has auto pause. The only duerme is that in the summary, you can only see your heart rate on the Nike plus website, not the app itself. Both tell you your heart rate during the workout.

I like the S health screen and interface with music better, but in typical samsung fashion, there is one important feature missing, which is automatic pause. That said, S health is easily samsung's best app. Since the Nike app syncs with your health data though, I see no reason not to use it.

Oh, and if you use the Nike app, you can't shuffle your music Playlist in the app, you have to use the samsung native music player to do that.

Posted via the Android Central App

vocalist

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site

I'm hoping the update the other poster mentioned for the screen-on time comes soon! That being said, I'm only using it for walking (used to be a runner) and I personally prefer S Health to Nike+. With S Health, I can scroll between music, pace, heart rate and distance or leave it on one of the above and it's always on that screen when I bring my arm up or I can easily shift between them. I also found the HR reading to be much more accurate when I use S Health (vs a Polar Chest Strap for comparison) which seems odd. I found the items on Nike+ to be so small that I couldn't read much of it and any time I tried to see if I could zoom in or scroll I either paused it or cancelled it completely. If you do use Nike+, it does upload to Nike and to S Health. Take both apps with a grain of salt if you use a treadmill as it really seems to depend on how you swing your arm for the readings and I have found both to be anywhere from .10-.30 off in distance. When I do a free walk (living room, outside) it seems to be much better at reading the pace/distance. I'm hoping to get to a treadmill at the gym this week to do a true comparison. If you're outside, you might want to try linking it with the GPS on your phone as I did find that to be very accurate. I would also suggest tightening the watch one notch prior to starting for both heart rate accuracy and the pedometer. Cheers!