Gear VR without Gear VR

Marko Perunovic

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys,i own Galaxy S6 and i don't know if i should buy Gear VR,so i hoped i could try the same apps with my google Cardboard.Has anyone suceeded doing such thing,and if you know how to start setup wizard please leave a comment.

Kikoshi

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure if you look around you can find the files that comes with the VR SDCard, so im assuming "VR SDcard files backup?" is what you could search for.

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Buy it. Now! (Just kidding)

My son has Google Cardboard (well not the actual one but a similar one made from a kit). I just got Gear VR for my Note 4. There is no comparison between the two experiences.

Gear VR is so much better in terms of visual experience, smoothness of movement, the visuals, available apps, comfort, everything.

The big thing that helps the Gear VR is the Gear VR hardware, specifically the head movement tracking. It's not just a holder for your phone. It's so much more.

Listen to this podcast at the 15 minute mark. They talk about the difference between Google Cardboard and VR. It's night and day.
http://pca.st/1bXB

The podcast talks about the IMU (inertia measurement unit) difference between a smartphone using Google Cardboard vs the IMU in Gear VR. The Gear VR is so much more fluid and smooth than Google Cardboard because of this.

So I'm saying all of this to let you know that testing VR in Google Cardboard and trying to figure out if you want to buy Gear VR based on this experience only, is like trying out a bicycle and deciding if you want to buy a high-end sports car (a Lamborghini). There is no comparison.

Maybe that's not a good comparison but don't let Google Cardboard be the only thing that you use to base your decision on.

I hope you can test it before you buy it. If not, rest assured the Gear VR experience is very immersive and awesome. I highly recommended it.

Last edited:

mlemos89

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
All of that is true but I still returned my Gear VR, because of how badly Samsung limits its potential by allowing only their approved apps to run. I should be able to run YouTube and web browser on a $200 Gear VR if I can do it on a $20 piece of cardboard, but then again software is always Samsung's issue.

Posted via the Android Central App

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
All of that is true but I still returned my Gear VR, because of how badly Samsung limits its potential by allowing only their approved apps to run. I should be able to run YouTube and web browser on a $200 Gear VR if I can do it on a $20 piece of cardboard, but then again software is always Samsung's issue.

Posted via the Android Central App

You can run "non approved" Samsung apps on Gear VR. Just don't plug the phone into the micro USB port on the Gear VR when you attach the phone to the HMD.

The experience is not as good/fluid as an app written to support Gear VR but it works.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress