Samsung Pay activity data not always accurate for Amex account.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I recently phoned in an order to Home Depot.com. I negotiated a $50 discount which I was promised would show on an email to be generated at the time of product shipment (the first email I got at the time of order placement showed a higher amount). After I received the item and happened to be looking at Samsung Pay activity on my phone I was concerned to see the higher amount for the transaction at HD.com . I was going to call HD.com to complain, but I instead checked my Amex account instead. It had the correct charge. So I called Samsung Pay and they said it was up to Amex to send the correct data. After speaking with no less than 4 or 5 people at Amex, there is still no explanation for why the adjustment to the price isn't reflected on Samsung Pay.

Furthermore, I told Samsung Pay that I felt that to avoid such discrepancies, perhaps they should offer users the ability to toggle off any charges/credits not directly generated by using SP on our phones, as the data coming from non-SP charges is apparently not always accurate.

Moral: don't rely on all the card activity you see on the Samsung Pay app--it MIGHT not all be correct.

flintlock

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Are you saying you see non Samsung pay activity on your app? I only have a MC on SP and only the charges I've made on the phone show there.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Are you saying you see non Samsung pay activity on your app? I only have a MC on SP and only the charges I've made on the phone show there.

Yup; I see lots of non-SP activity from my Amex card on the app. I've no problem with that per se, but the fact that I can't count on it being correct is a problem. I would like to be able to quickly review recent charges, using the app, rather than having to log in to my Amex app, which takes a lot longer. I may have to use the Amex app instead, now that I can't count on SP to get accurate data from Amex (who really knows which entity is at fault, at this point?). The last Amex employee promised to get back to me in 2 days but I'm not holding my breath. It seems there are too many companies involved in these transactions, so there's plenty of finger-pointing.

ded1945

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
From what you posted I don't see the problem. Home Depot charged your card which showed up on SP. Somewhere along the line Home Depot issued a credit to Amex which your Amex account shows. I don't recall refunds and adjustments being posted to Samsung Pay, and that's what this transaction would be.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
From what you posted I don't see the problem. Home Depot charged your card which showed up on SP. Somewhere along the line Home Depot issued a credit to Amex which your Amex account shows. I don't recall refunds and adjustments being posted to Samsung Pay, and that's what this transaction would be.

ah, I'd like SP to show either ONLY SP activity, or ACCURATE total activity on my Amex card. NOT something in between.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Samsung is right: It's up to AmEx to show the correct amounts and to send only SP data to SP, so that's something they need to modify.

Now, the charges you're seeing in SP are probably 'credit check' charges. The first 'swipe' the vendor makes is this, and especially at gas pumps, you might see a big charge (on Costco, for instance, it's usually 150 dollars) which is then adjusted to whatever you end up paying, but that one doesn't get sent to SP, only updated in your statement. The only charges that are accurate on SP are the ones made directly by SP. It's up to the bank to either make better information available from non-SP transactions or remove them completely, like other banks do (Citi just shows SP transactions in SP).

The advantage of having the non-SP transactions there, even if they're not always accurate, is that I see any charges made to my card immediately, so if a phony charge is made, I'll know about it.