Sprint/Boost two-click root with custom kernel

anon(538593)

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
If you're already on step 3 of Part 2, all you need to do is double-click the file "windows.bat" contained within finish_root.zip that dmrlook attached to part 2. Then simply follow the instructions the script gives you.

Make sure your phone is connected to the PC with USB Debugging enabled.

foxyposhy

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
ok i tried that and it is telling me su...and busybox and something else are not installed or something. i notice a couple of apk's. do i place those on my sd card?

foxyposhy

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
ok i guess i am doing it correctly. i don't put it on my sd card after re-reading instructions. this bat thing is supposedly going to install it itself. but this is what i get when i run the cmd...

daemon not running. starting it now
daemon started successfully
remounting/system <dev/stil12> and rootfs in read/write mode
busybox: not found
199 kb/s <4292 bytes in 0.021s>
Copying files onto phone...
failed to copy 'su' to /system/xbin/su' : Read-only file system
failed to copy 'superuser.apk' to '/system/app/superuser.apk': Read-only file system
failed to copy 'busybox' to '/system/xbin/busybox': Read-only file system
setting permissions....
unable to chmod /system/xbin/busybox : No such file or directory
unable to chmod /system/xbin/su : No such file or directory
unable to chmod /system/xbin/su : No such file or directory
link failed read-only file system
Installing busybox...
/system/xbin/busybox: not found
"You should have root!"

.....eck! had to type all of that myself. print screen doesnt work =(

anon(538593)

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if this will work or not, but some advice is better than none right?

1. Boot into CWM
2. Open a terminal window on the computer, type "adb devices", it should show your phone as connected.
3. In CWM go to "mounts and storage"
4. Mount /system
5. Try running "windows.bat" again.

Clarifier34

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
When i run the zip I get a "signature verification failed" then "installation aborted". Do I not have the CWM recovery installed correctly or is this some other issue?
All:
I am now officially releasing part one of a two click root method for both the Sprint and Boost Samsung Replenish phones. To install this custom kernel, you must verify your phone meets the following criteria:

1. You have a Samsung replenish on Sprint and Boost networks.
2. You DO NOT have phoenix ROM installed (phoenix ROM uses the EXT4 file system, and this custom kernel release is for the Samsung RFS file system).
3. You have the most recent update from your carrier. To locate your version, go to settings->About Phone and scroll to "Build Number". Look for "GINGERBREAD.FA19 (sprint) or GINGERBREAD.FB03 (boost). If you don't have either of these, DO NOT INSTALL this kernel.
4. You have the clock-work-mod recovery image installed. If you don't look around this forum and you can find instructions on how to install it.

If you meet the above criteria, you can install my custom kernel as follows:
1. Download the update.zip file (attached below) and save it to the root of your SD card.
2. Reboot into recovery mode. To do so, hold down the "U" key while powering up your phone.
3. Navigate to the "Apply update from SDcard" option. This will automatically install the custom kernel from the update.zip file you copied to your SD card in step one above.
4. Reboot.

You will now have a new splash screen that will confirm you are now using the new kernel.

This kernel allows you to overclock your CPU (with the appropriate app installed - I recommend CPU Cruise Control which you can find on the market - the free version should work just fine with this kernel). It also allows you to select different CPU governors which provide much better battery savings than the stock governor. So basically, you should expect better battery life (some folks have suggested they get a 2x improvement on battery life).
This kernel will also root your phone, however to get full use of being root, you will need to perform some other steps. I will create a one click method to complete these steps and update this post in the not to distant future. Till then, enjoy the longer battery life!

And finally, I'd like to thank my Boost Beta testers (ciscogee and 34) who were willing to test my custom kernel on their phones.

Please address any questions to this post - I typically check often.

deke2010

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
okay so I noticed that a few of us (including myself) were having an issue once we got to step 2 where it would fail when it tried to mount /system as rw. the error looks somewhat like this.
Code:
* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *
Remounting /system (/dev/stl12) and rootfs in read/write mode
209 KB/s (4292 bytes in 0.020s)
Copying files onto phone...
failed to copy 'su' to '/system/xbin/su': Read-only file system
failed to copy 'Superuser.apk' to '/system/app/Superuser.apk': Read-only file sy
stem
failed to copy 'busybox' to '/system/xbin/busybox': Read-only file system
Setting permissions...
Unable to chmod /system/xbin/busybox: No such file or directory
Unable to chmod /system/xbin/su: No such file or directory
Unable to chmod /system/xbin/su: No such file or directory
link failed Read-only file system
Installing busybox...
/system/xbin/busybox: not found
"You should have root!"

Press any key to continue . . .

I made a fix for this.
1. flash recovery with odin like you would normally and boot into it. (I made a nice tutorial http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-replenish/199349-how-installing-cwm-5-0-2-7-a.html#post2059302)
3. flash update.zip like normal.
4. download finish_root2.zip (attached) and unzip wherever you like.
5. WHILE STILL IN RECOVERY, run the windows.bat located in finish_root2
6. Enjoy. Bloatware has been removed and astro file manager and cruse control have been installed.

Attachments

• finish_root2.zip
    6.3 MB · Views: 45

Terry Chenault

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
All:
I am now officially releasing part one of a two click root method for both the Sprint and Boost Samsung Replenish phones. To install this custom kernel, you must verify your phone meets the following criteria:

1. You have a Samsung replenish on Sprint and Boost networks.
2. You DO NOT have phoenix ROM installed (phoenix ROM uses the EXT4 file system, and this custom kernel release is for the Samsung RFS file system).
3. You have the most recent update from your carrier. To locate your version, go to settings->About Phone and scroll to "Build Number". Look for "GINGERBREAD.FA19 (sprint) or GINGERBREAD.FB03 (boost). If you don't have either of these, DO NOT INSTALL this kernel.
4. You have the clock-work-mod recovery image installed. If you don't look around this forum and you can find instructions on how to install it.

If you meet the above criteria, you can install my custom kernel as follows:
1. Download the update.zip file (attached below) and save it to the root of your SD card.
2. Reboot into recovery mode. To do so, hold down the "U" key while powering up your phone.
3. Navigate to the "Apply update from SDcard" option. This will automatically install the custom kernel from the update.zip file you copied to your SD card in step one above.
4. Reboot.

You will now have a new splash screen that will confirm you are now using the new kernel.

This kernel allows you to overclock your CPU (with the appropriate app installed - I recommend CPU Cruise Control which you can find on the market - the free version should work just fine with this kernel). It also allows you to select different CPU governors which provide much better battery savings than the stock governor. So basically, you should expect better battery life (some folks have suggested they get a 2x improvement on battery life).
This kernel will also root your phone, however to get full use of being root, you will need to perform some other steps. I will create a one click method to complete these steps and update this post in the not to distant future. Till then, enjoy the longer battery life!

And finally, I'd like to thank my Boost Beta testers (ciscogee and 34) who were willing to test my custom kernel on their phones.

Please address any questions to this post - I typically check often.