[KERNEL] [GUIDE] Root Your Stratosphere! :-)

KillerSmurf

May 27, 2012
Visit site
I want to thank those who tried Z4 and posted on here. You saved me the trouble of messing up. I do have a question but first is that I have rooted my Samsung Stratosphere following Knightcrusader's post.

Having trouble in two issues of it. First is Busybox will not install. Second is sometimes when I run root apps it makes me have to reboot in order to get root access again. Something isn't right if it won't stay rooted without rebooting isn't there?

w.smith_1984

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Will rooting my phone allow me to change my IMEI #?
I want to unlock my phone so I can switch carriers.
Carriers blacklist the phone using the IMEI # (and also track you if ur greylisted)
Does anyone know where the IMEI data is stored? on a chip that must be flashed?
What is the difference between "unlocking" and "rooting"?

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Will rooting my phone allow me to change my IMEI #?
I want to unlock my phone so I can switch carriers.
Carriers blacklist the phone using the IMEI # (and also track you if ur greylisted)
Does anyone know where the IMEI data is stored? on a chip that must be flashed?
What is the difference between "unlocking" and "rooting"?
No, just rooting your phone will not allow you to change the IMEI in the phone, rooting allows "superuser" access to the filesystem which is different than these settings.

There is no real "unlocking" with CDMA phones, they are hard coded to a specific carrier, although some phone can be used on other networks with varying success (sometimes voice only, sometimes texting, sometimes data to varying degree), but it largely depends on if the phone is used by multiple carriers or not (ie. the Motorola Razor was used by everyone, and as long as the radios were compatible they were flashable to another carrier), but the Stratosphere has never been used by any other carrier so it is not likely it will be able to be fully utilized on any other carrier.

On RootzWiki there was some discussion on changing this device to another carrier, but because it is locked and SIM based, they tried for a while and eventually just gave up

killroy420

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Rooting won't, but installing a custom de-bloated ROM will, and that requires root.

I tried to think of something witty, but this is all I could come up with.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
will rooting get all this bs bloat off of my phone?!!

Not rooting in itself, bur it gives you the ability to debloat with utilities like titanium backup or ultimate backup and either freeze or uninstall the bloat. Of course, installing a ROM like Tweaked 2.2 is the easier way and much nicer in the long run, just remember to make a nandriod after installing custom recovery but before rooting.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

Finyon

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
I rooted exactly as said here, and once I did, I stopped getting signal. What happened? I used to get 3 bars where I am now. I can get nothing anymore.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I rooted exactly as said here, and once I did, I stopped getting signal. What happened? I used to get 3 bars where I am now. I can get nothing anymore.
Are you still getting service, just no indications (bars)? If so, then you already had the FF1 update installed on your phone, this rooting method replaces the kernel with an EI2 kernel, when mated with a FF1 ROM the signal strength indication gets broken not the actual signal (although sometimes WiFi gets broken). You need to flash in the FF1 kernel from this post: [FF1][Stock][Cwm]Full Deodexed Rooted Stock - Stratosphere Development - RootzWiki

Swindez95

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Ok so I followed this guide and got my Stratosphere rooted thankfully but now I have run into another problem. After finishing the process I have run into the problem that everything works except my WI-FI. I am happy that everything is working as expected all except my wifi. I have searched and found various answers but if anyone could help I would be greatly thankful.

My phone shows these under settings;
Firmware
Baseband version
I405.05 v.ff1
SCH-I405.ff1

Kernel version
2.6.35.7-e12

Build number SCH-I405.FF1

Looks like there is a mismatch between some of these numbers. Again any help would be greatly appreciated.

Swindez95

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Nevermind I got it fixed. Flashed CWM to my phone and installed this customized stock ff1 ROM from rootzwiki and that fixed everything. Downloaded titanium backup and removed quite a bit of verizon bloatware crap. So much nicer to not have to look at all that installed garbage on my phone. Definitely seems faster but only time will tell when I get all my apps back to where I was before.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
does this work with Samsung Stratosphere... I choose the 'update.zip' for update and it says "no space on device"

I am not sure I understand the question or issue here... What are you trying to update? Could you give some details here?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Xypheras237

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
There's an easier way to do this. You can download Framaroot. I've tried it and it worked perfectly. You can try Googling it, I don't remember the link I used, but it's become a popular method.

Era Osa

Nov 28, 2019
Visit site
I've done the steps and it worked but my WIFI ain't working again...

I've tried to reflash with stock kernel but not working too

Rootzwiki website doesnt have the articles anymore.

How can anyone help?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress