Best way to back up apps before a flash?

E_man

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I have a captivate, and was playing with roms today. I flashed, and used appbrain to restore all my apps. It worked, but it was a pain. Took forever

Is there a better way? Maybe a press restore, it reinstalls apps, and I can walk away while it works?

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
titanium back up is the best way to back up apps in most cases. it's usually the first app to be mentioned when these questions come up. the only problem is the paid version. the paid version has to be done through pay pal and can't be purchased in the market due to the restriction of google apps being able to pay developers in certain countries. i was skeptical at first but once i did it, i never looked back. this thing has save me hours of time not having to manually reinstall apps. the free version is nice but it is somewhat tedious since you have to accept each app before it installs.

patches152

Jan 21, 2010
www.berryaddicted.com
I use the free version of titanium, which is fine. Restoring all apps and data isn't necessarily what you want depending on which Rom you're loading. Ex: going from sense to vanilla...

E_man

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Ok, thanks. So I just open titanium restore/backup->menu->batch->backup all user apps? Should I also backup system data? Looking at a flash from touchwiz to vanilla

patches152

Jan 21, 2010
www.berryaddicted.com
I say batch back up everything, but only restore apps and the data that goes along with em. Titanium is an easy way to take apps from one Rom to another without having to download each one from the market. I also suggest saving a few .apk onto your memory card.
Edit: please do not encourage the downloading of warez. Thank you

-- Brett

Last edited by a moderator:

RoadBicyclist

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I say batch back up everything, but only restore apps and the data that goes along with em. Titanium is an easy way to take apps from one Rom to another without having to download each one from the market. I also suggest saving a few .apk onto your memory card.
Edit: please do not encourage the downloading of warez. Thank you

-- Brett

Newbie alert here! What do you mean by:

"suggest saving a few .apk onto your memory card" & "please do not encourage the downloading of warez"

I understand .apk are android apps, but what exactly do you save and what are warez?

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
For everybody wondering why the post was edited. Wares are paid apps that people download for free. Somebody takes a paid app from the market and hosts the apk and lets other people download it. Warez are prohibited in the forum due to the fact that we want our developers to not get cheated out of their hard work. Support the devs by buying the app. I can't make people stop downloading paid apps for free (what you do on your own time is none of my business) but posting apk's here or supporting the downloading of warez will not be tolerated here.

dirtbiker0025

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
im pretty sure patches wasn't encouraging warez, he was simply saying if you don't wanna lose your app you can put the .adk on you sdcard and install it that way.

patches152

Jan 21, 2010
www.berryaddicted.com
That's what I was implying. I think, Idk...its gone now. But when I'm flashing roms, there are a few "starter apps" that I keep on my SD just in case, including titanium and setCPU. Then from there restore or download from market.

Nand backup saves everything as an image, titanium stores individual apps and user info as restorable, individual modules. When you use nand, you can't extract and restore individual apps. You have to download through the market. Sometimes market doesn't save your history when changing roms, titanium is in place to help with that. So do both.

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
it was in the post he made but i edited it out. either way, the past is the past. time to move on son :p:cool::p

titanium is like gods gift to rooted android users haha. it turns and hours worth of time installing all of your old apps back up and re-entering in the data into like 5 minutes. i don't think i would have changed roms as much as i have done without it

patches152

Jan 21, 2010
www.berryaddicted.com
i forgot to answer this earlier,
the .apk file is basically a non market installer file, usually made available by the dev for this specific reason. some roms the market doesn't work or something is broken, so being able to download titanium OTA isn't always an option, so in this case you can just save the .apk file for the app and install from your memory card. also good for things like ripped live wallpapers from other phones, etc.

i always have titanium and setcpu on my SD card, never know...

webby_s#AC

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
So before I "hack" into my stock 2.2 Evo, I am not rooted yet, I want to make sure that when I wipe my Evo I won't loose my paid app that I have. Namely the SlingBox Player. That thing is worth $30 and I don't want to have to repay that.

What do I need to make sure to have my apps saved before I root?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo