Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 20 of 20
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LuvMusic
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Are you upgrading to the Z3? Or........

    Now that it has been officially announced that the Z3 will be available on Tmo, are you considering upgrading to the Z3? Personally, I like the Z3, looks like a worthy upgrade though I wish they had used a Snapdragon 805. Also disappointed that the copper finish won't be available on Tmo, black only.

    The only thing holding me back right now are formal announcements on the rumored Nexus 6 and the Moto X+1.

    I love this time of year!
  2. #2  
    Moacirusa's Avatar

    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts

    Default Re: Are you upgrading to the Z3? Or........

    .,.
  3. #3  
    luke31's Avatar

    Posts
    787 Posts
    Global Posts
    908 Global Posts
    Carrier
    All Stock (for now)

    Default Re: Are you upgrading to the Z3? Or........

    Quote Originally Posted by LuvMusic View Post
    Now that it has been officially announced that the Z3 will be available on Tmo, are you considering upgrading to the Z3? Personally, I like the Z3, looks like a worthy upgrade though I wish they had used a Snapdragon 805. Also disappointed that the copper finish won't be available on Tmo, black only.

    The only thing holding me back right now are formal announcements on the rumored Nexus 6 and the Moto X+1.

    I love this time of year!
    Love my Z1s, but I'm done with Sony Phones on T-mobile.

    Posted via Android Central App
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Are you upgrading to the Z3? Or........

    I'm upgrading. Hopefully the z3 won't be as forgotten about as the Z1s.

    Posted via Android Central App
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Are you upgrading to the Z3? Or........

    Quote Originally Posted by luke31 View Post
    Love my Z1s, but I'm done with Sony Phones on T-mobile.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Is that because of our experience (long wait} for KitKat?

    Anyway, I too love the Z1s and think the Z3 will be a worthy upgrade. I know there were major improvements to the screen between the Z1 and Z2, can't wait to "see" for myself. Also, since I'm a big music lover, I'm interested in the improvements in audio. I noticed a significant improvement with the KitKat update, so now my curiosity is peaked to hear what happens with the Z3.

    On another note, I'm intrigued with Sony's photography strategy. That QX1 lens attachment is something really different and I have an NEX5 with four different E mount lenses that I could use. It would be really "cool" if the quality is there....I could leave my camera body home when I travel.

    One final comment on the Z3 with Tmo......right now it is the only confirmed Z3 with 32gb of internal storage.

    Enough rambling for now.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Are you upgrading to the Z3? Or........

    I'm considering the z3 as well but I will sit and wait as to see what google and other manufacturers will have for this fall. I am happy with my z1s and will patiently see my options. I'm loving that Ps4 remote play on the z3 hopefully they port it over to the z1s on an update.

    Posted via Android Central App
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Are you upgrading to the Z3? Or........

    Quote Originally Posted by josegb2011 View Post
    I'm considering the z3 as well but I will sit and wait as to see what google and other manufacturers will have for this fall. I am happy with my z1s and will patiently see my options. I'm loving that Ps4 remote play on the z3 hopefully they port it over to the z1s on an update.

    Posted via Android Central App
    I'm with you on waiting a little (1-2 months) to see what Google does. The New Moto X looks OK but I think I would still go with the Z3.

    There was a significant screen upgrade between the Z1 / Z1s and Z2, more refinement with the Z3. The one complaint I have with my Z1s is the screen....it should have been better, especially off axis viewing and outdoor use.

    I'm a big music fan, so, I'm eager to hear the improvements in the music player. Also interested to hold the phone, the newer form factor looks like it could be more comfortable and maybe easier to handle with one hand (a little taller, narrower and rounded corners).

    700mhz, band 12 is the icing on the cake/ Now if only Tmo would offer the copper finish, might not wait to see what Google offers!
  8. #8  
    luke31's Avatar

    Posts
    787 Posts
    Global Posts
    908 Global Posts
    Carrier
    All Stock (for now)

    Default Re: Are you upgrading to the Z3? Or........

    Quote Originally Posted by LuvMusic View Post
    Is that because of our experience (long wait} for KitKat?

    Anyway, I too love the Z1s and think the Z3 will be a worthy upgrade. I know there were major improvements to the screen between the Z1 and Z2, can't wait to "see" for myself. Also, since I'm a big music lover, I'm interested in the improvements in audio. I noticed a significant improvement with the KitKat update, so now my curiosity is peaked to hear what happens with the Z3.

    On another note, I'm intrigued with Sony's photography strategy. That QX1 lens attachment is something really different and I have an NEX5 with four different E mount lenses that I could use. It would be really "cool" if the quality is there....I could leave my camera body home when I travel.

    One final comment on the Z3 with Tmo......right now it is the only confirmed Z3 with 32gb of internal storage.

    Enough rambling for now.
    That, along with the fact that I have a sinking feeling that the Z1s won't ever see android "L" when it's eventually released. Because Sony phones don't seem to sell well in the States, they seem to be too quickly forgotten.

    And another big impediment is Sony's awful upgrade strategy. I hate how they release a major new flagship twice a year. If you buy a Samsung or HTC or Moto or LG, you have the peace of mind of annual upgrade cycles. If I buy a Z3, I'll want a Z4 later on.

    Posted via the Android Central App
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Are you upgrading to the Z3? Or........

    I'm done with Sony for now. I was really happy getting z1s but after nine months it was just getting bad. Non responding screen just took me over the edge. I was going to get the oneplus one but after the failure of not only begging people for an invite but also the so called pre order. I just got a g3. I hope the z3 is alot better then the z1s.
  10. #10  
    rews's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    129 Posts
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts

    Default Re: Are you upgrading to the Z3? Or........

    Quote Originally Posted by luke31 View Post
    That, along with the fact that I have a sinking feeling that the Z1s won't ever see android "L" when it's eventually released. Because Sony phones don't seem to sell well in the States, they seem to be too quickly forgotten.

    And another big impediment is Sony's awful upgrade strategy. I hate how they release a major new flagship twice a year. If you buy a Samsung or HTC or Moto or LG, you have the peace of mind of annual upgrade cycles. If I buy a Z3, I'll want a Z4 later on.

    Posted via the Android Central App
    What's the difference between a flagship being released once/year and ignoring the 6 month flagship and just choosing to wait a year? Besides self control there isn't a difference.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default Re: Are you upgrading to the Z3? Or........

    Quote Originally Posted by rews View Post
    What's the difference between a flagship being released once/year and ignoring the 6 month flagship and just choosing to wait a year? Besides self control there isn't a difference.
    IMO, it's really not a self control issue. The issue is, if you update twice a year over a period of 2 years (the average life cycle for a phone) you have to support 4 devices. If you update once a year, you support two devices. It's much easier to produce timely updates for two devices versus four.

    That's the way I see it.
    luke31 likes this.
  12. #12  
    rews's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    129 Posts
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts

    Default Re: Are you upgrading to the Z3? Or........

    Quote Originally Posted by LuvMusic View Post
    IMO, it's really not a self control issue. The issue is, if you update twice a year over a period of 2 years (the average life cycle for a phone) you have to support 4 devices. If you update once a year, you support two devices. It's much easier to produce timely updates for two devices versus four.

    That's the way I see it.
    That's a valid point but I don't think it pertains to Sony, who've been very good at supporting the core Xperia Z phones for updates from the Z onwards
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

    Default Re: Are you upgrading to the Z3? Or........

    That may be true for the "mainline" Z series phones, but, for us that owned the Z1s, we always got our updates 6-8 weeks later than other Z phones because of the customizations TMo made to the Z1s. Looks like TMo learned their lesson with the Z3....it appears to be a normal Z3 locked to TMo's network. IDK.....I decided to JUMP to a Nexus 6.
  14. #14  
    rews's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    129 Posts
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts

    Default Re: Are you upgrading to the Z3? Or........

    Quote Originally Posted by LuvMusic View Post
    That may be true for the "mainline" Z series phones, but, for us that owned the Z1s, we always got our updates 6-8 weeks later than other Z phones because of the customizations TMo made to the Z1s. Looks like TMo learned their lesson with the Z3....it appears to be a normal Z3 locked to TMo's network. IDK.....I decided to JUMP to a Nexus 6.
    I won't dispute that, but that's a risk you take when you buy any non-flagship. IIRC the Moto G series are the only midrange androids getting updates as quick as their flagship Moto X.

    But for the purpose of this subject, the fact that Sony releases two Xperia Z series flagships per year has not effected their update support for them all, which is what we're originally talking about.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

    Default Re: Are you upgrading to the Z3? Or........

    Quote Originally Posted by rews View Post
    I won't dispute that, but that's a risk you take when you buy any non-flagship.
    ??? Sorry....The Sony Xperia Z1s is one of Sony's flagship phones.
  16. #16  
    rews's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    129 Posts
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts

    Default Re: Are you upgrading to the Z3? Or........

    Quote Originally Posted by LuvMusic View Post
    ??? Sorry....The Sony Xperia Z1s is one of Sony's flagship phones.
    The Z, Z1, Z2, and Z3 are the main flagships, the rest are offshoots of the core phones
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

    Default Re: Are you upgrading to the Z3? Or........

    Quote Originally Posted by rews View Post
    The Z, Z1, Z2, and Z3 are the main flagships, the rest are offshoots of the core phones

    We'll have to just disagree on this one.

    Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk
  18. #18  
    luke31's Avatar

    Posts
    787 Posts
    Global Posts
    908 Global Posts
    Carrier
    All Stock (for now)

    Default Re: Are you upgrading to the Z3? Or........

    And remember, as if it's not enough to update two flagships per year, you also have to update the offshoots of those flagships that are carrier specific, like the Z1s or the Verizon Z3v. That's just too many phones to keep track of. At least if there is one standardized model, you could put the blame squarely on the carrier if the same phone is updated on other carriers. But for Sony, is it worth updating a phone like the Z1s longterm, since the market size for it is relatively small?

    Posted via the Android Central App
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Are you upgrading to the Z3? Or........

    Quote Originally Posted by rews View Post
    The Z, Z1, Z2, and Z3 are the main flagships, the rest are offshoots of the core phones
    Yes

    Posted via the Android Central App
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Are you upgrading to the Z3? Or........

    Quote Originally Posted by Nina Tazzila View Post
    Yes
    Yes finally

Similar Threads

  1. Is the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact coming to Verizon?
    By lindseybp in forum Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-02-2014, 12:00 AM
  2. Excited for the Note Edge.
    By deadp1xel in forum Samsung Galaxy Note Edge
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-07-2014, 03:43 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-04-2014, 07:58 AM
  4. Moving to London for 1 year--can I use my droid DNA there?
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-03-2014, 11:00 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-03-2014, 09:08 PM

Posting Permissions