Z2 vs Z3 for a new Android User

Francois1988

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone. This is my first post here. Seems like one of the best places to get the info I need.

I am currently using a Blackberrry Z10 and I am due for an upgrade tomorrow. For a few months I had been considering getting the Sony Xperia Z2. I read up on it, checked out the reviews. And BAM, the Z3 is coming out here in South Africa in November. I have never used an Android device before, and my phone is completely for personal use. From all the reviews I saw so far about the Z3 it isn't THAT much different from the Z2. For me the biggest draw would be the PS4 Remote Play, but I don't have one, nor plan to get one in the next year or so (but never say never), so that is not a usable feature.

Now, when the Z3 is released here, naturally the Z2 would become just a little less pricey which is a plus for me as cellphone contracts here are very expensive and you don't get a whole lot (My current contract which is one of the top non-business ones gives 250MB data. 250!!)

My question is this, as someone who has never used Android before, is there really that big of a difference between the Z2 and the Z3? The other major difference I can see is the SmartBand Talk. Will the SmartBand Talk also work backwards with the Z2, were I to ever consider buying it?

Thanks in advance,

F

gunzkevin

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Hey!

Well I am a current Z2 owner, had it for 6 months now. I love it.

But, if I were to have the option of the z3 or the z2, I would probably buy the z3. To a certain point.

It looks much slimmer in videos, and I really enjoy the white front available on the z3, versus all black for my z2.

They also made key improvements. The screen on my z2 when maxed is pretty bright, but it could be better. And they fixed that with the z3. The low light camera performance is already great on my z2, I can't imagine how they improved it for the z3, but they did.

I would probably spend an extra $100 to get the z3 if I were buying the phone today.

So if it were me, not having owned the Z2 yet. I would buy the Z2 for $520 on eBay, rather than $720 for the Z3.

And with the Smartband Talk, it should work just as well with the Z2 as Z3. Its requirements are
smartband apps which can be downloaded from the play store
Bluetooth low energy, which according to Sony white page the Z2 has
Smart connect, which the Z2 has.

Hope this helps with your decision.

Posted via Android Central App

Francois1988

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, I will think about that. The colour of the phone (front as you said) is not the biggest bother for me. Exchanged, the contract price for me would be roughly $40 to $45 for the Z3 (if it is the same as the Z2 was when new). From what I read the innards of the phones are more or less the same.

Have you had any hassles with your phone as of yet? Got any tips for an Android Newbie by the way?

gunzkevin

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Well if the Z3 is the same price as the Z2, I would for sure go for the Z3. The little improvements really make it a perfect phone. And there are more colors to choose from Haha.

Hmm, really just Google it. I mean, use all things Google. Maps is great, Google Drive (cloud based storage) is great, chrome browser works awesome. I really just like how well everything is synced between my computer and phone.
I uploaded my Electrical Circuits book to Google Drive from my computer, and in class was looking at it on my phone.

I bookmarked a website on my computer, and on my phone had the same bookmark.

I'm not really sure what else to say. It will be fun (and frustrating) for you to experience a new OS I'm sure. But once you get used to it (and all the apps), I'm sure you won't regret the switch.

gunzkevin

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Oh, and in response to any problems with my phone.

None. Having a waterproof phone is amazing. I take it to the water park, swimming pool, and on hikes. It takes amazing photos and videos. The phone is the perfect size for me, and I never charge my phone after one day of use. It always lasts a minimum of 1.5 days, normally 2 days. Super fast, and looks great!

Francois1988

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Gunzkevin, I meant that when the Z3 comes out it will be the price of the Z2 when it came out. Glad to hear that your phone is still gong on well.

Thanks Lynda. Whichever one I pick, I know that I must turn of all the auto updates. Data management will just take some getting used to on a new platform.

thatdennis

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone. This is my first post here. Seems like one of the best places to get the info I need.

I am currently using a Blackberrry Z10 and I am due for an upgrade tomorrow. For a few months I had been considering getting the Sony Xperia Z2. I read up on it, checked out the reviews. And BAM, the Z3 is coming out here in South Africa in November. I have never used an Android device before, and my phone is completely for personal use. From all the reviews I saw so far about the Z3 it isn't THAT much different from the Z2. For me the biggest draw would be the PS4 Remote Play, but I don't have one, nor plan to get one in the next year or so (but never say never), so that is not a usable feature.

Now, when the Z3 is released here, naturally the Z2 would become just a little less pricey which is a plus for me as cellphone contracts here are very expensive and you don't get a whole lot (My current contract which is one of the top non-business ones gives 250MB data. 250!!)

My question is this, as someone who has never used Android before, is there really that big of a difference between the Z2 and the Z3? The other major difference I can see is the SmartBand Talk. Will the SmartBand Talk also work backwards with the Z2, were I to ever consider buying it?

Thanks in advance,

F

Here's my two cents: buy the : z2.

Sure the z3 is nice, but economically it isn't worth it to pay a lot more for basically the same phone hardware wise. The z2 done its job. IMO the only attraction to the z3 is the ps remote play and design.

Though if you have the money and don't care much about the price, go for the z3. Or the z3 compact if that's your size.

Francois1988

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
That is my thoughts exactly Dennis. And I am considering getting the XBox One later on. Financially it doesn't make sense to buy the Z3. I think I'll wait for the Z3 release and just get the Z2 then. Once the Z3 release the Z2 on contract will be about 15-20% cheaper on contract. And as you said, the remote play seems the only "new" feature. Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll be sure to be on here for advice when the time comes.

robsawalker

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
As has already been mentioned, the brightness on the Z2 is merely OK. The Z3 seems to have a greatly improved screen. The Z2 is pretty chunkified too. Of either of these don't bother you then get the Z2, but if it's just a small cost difference, get the Z3.
Try holding both first.

Andyvalver

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I own a z2, although its off for repair at the moment. But if i was buying fresh of course id buy the z3. It doesnt really have anything new over the z2 but its still a newer design. The proccessor is the same just,clocked higher but you wont even notice. Ram is the same, screen is the same. Its just the phone itself that is a slightly smoother design. Also,a new wider camera lens.

Naveen Prasad

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
Get the z2 mate. There are too many little changes in the upgrade to spend the extra money. Not worth it. Btw I got a z2 rather than z3 and I'm enjoying it

Sent from my D6502 using Tapatalk

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I've used both the xperia z2 and the xperia z3. The changes might be minor but you'll feel A LOT of difference between the two once you hold them. The screen is noticeably brighter on the z3. The speakers are better. Not to mention the buttons feels so much better. The last but not the least the thing I missed the most when I switched from the z3 to the z2 (because I broke my z3) was the in-hand feel. The Z3 feels soooooo much better in hand than the z2. The z2 isn't as future proof as the z3 as well. It WILL feel outdated after a while. The huge bezels and the heaviness of the phone along with the dimmer and less saturated display really started bothering me after a few months. As far as the battery is concerned I can guarantee you that you'll get more life from the z3 than the z2. Its much more optimized. And don't worry about the notification light. The notifications volume is wayyyy better on the z3 than the very low sounding z2. It makes up for the notification light.

All I'm saying is that IF YOU HAVE THE MONEY the z3 is the best option! And trust me you won't feel the need to change that phone for a long long time. Its a great investment. Although if you're on a budget the Z2 is an equally good option. I love both phones! Used them both for a long time.

But I'd say spend a little more and keep the z3 for longer than you're planning to do so. I don't even have to say it you'll see it for yourself. Its nearly perfect!

Number one Sony fan!
Although I've switched to Motorola droid turbo recently. Not because there was anything with the z2. Or the z3. I like switching brands.

Z3 has the best battery. One of the best cameras. One of the best software experiences. One of the best designs. One of the best features pack. Just feels very modern and future proof. And the Z2 has everything too but it just feels a little dated in hand. Both great for the money!

Posted via the Android Central App