anyone coming from Moto X 2014?

ladius

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Have a Moto X 2014 that I got a few weeks ago and the battery life is very disappointing. I was coming from a HTC Rezound that had dismal battery life and the Moto X wasn't any better!

Thinking of returning the Moto and getting the Xperia z3v. If you had done the same, would love to hear your thoughts on the change. It seems not only the battery is better but the camera as well. Do you miss the active notifications?

richard_rsp

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I had a 2013 Moto X and loved all but the camera. Because of this, I picked up a 2014 Moto X for 13 days but returned it for the Z3v. My main complaint was battery life on the Moto and some of the half baked features not working.

I don't really miss active notifications; the LED provides enough notice for me. (different colors mean different types of notifications). I mean I guess they are useful, but it's not enough of a feature to overlook the 14s shortcomings.

Battery on Z3v? MUCH better. Camera? I didn't get that much of a chance to use the 14s camera, but I have gotten both really good and some not so good shots on my Sony. There are better cameras out there, but it's definitely better than a lot.

Hope that helps!

Posted via my underrated Xperia Z3v.

Cliff Woolfork

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
I came from the 2013 Moto X and the Droid Maxx which is similar spec wise minus the huge battery. I've always been partial to Motorola, my first smart phone was the original Droid slider phone (still have it, still use it as an Mp3 player LOL) ... I was up for an upgrade and considered the Droid Turbo but as I used one in the Verizon store I could feel the ballistic back getting really warm to the touch, plus it wasn't all that impressive compared to the Droid Maxx, it was only marginally quicker and the camera was a little better, I noticed the Sony and started playing with it and loved it immediately. Ended up buying the Sony and haven't looked back. I retired my Maxx and sold the Moto X (it was the Developer Ed). Battery life on the Z3v is great, my day starts at 7:30am and ends at about 10pm and I'm averaging 70% battery usage during that time. The display is vibrant and clear, not as good as the Droid Turbo I think but barely noticeable. Its very fast, and I love being able to have a 64GB SD card inside for all my music and movies. My only real complaints are no support from Sony or Verizon as of yet, both companies refer you to the other when it comes to support problems tho Sony is a bit more helpful. The other complaint is sometimes using the built in camera app, I get a "camera is in use in another app" warning and haven't figured out what is causing it.

Posted via the Android Central App

DJ Sandman

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I had the Moto X and exchanged it for the Z3v. The battery wasn't the reason why I returned the Moto X, which I actually had no complaints. I thought it was pretty efficient, considering it's only 2300 mah. I returned it because it doesn't have mirrorcasting support and it would also get very warm from usage and especially during charging.

I recommend the Z3v, but I also recommend a case for it as it's very slippery with the glass enclosure. It also gets quite smudgy, so I would also recommend a microfiber cloth or screen protector.

Otherwise, I recommend it simply because it's just as snappy as the Moto X, the battery and camara are very good, it is "semi-waterproof" and dust-free as advertised, and it's never acted up or shutdown on me!

Edit: Some other differences to point out. The Z3v charges much slower than the Moto X. The Z3v is an LCD screen vs. the Moto X amoled screen, so it's not as vibrant... IMHO. The USB port on the Z3v is in a weird spot and not labeled. There's a flap for it on the top left side. That is due to the "semi-waterproof" feature I mentioned earlier. Get a Qi charger and just disregard that flap!

And don't be alarmed when you see dotted lines across the Z3v screen in bright light. That's the digitizer grid and not a defect. These differences were not deal-breakers for me, but again I thought I'd point them out.

Last edited:

Postoid

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I still have a 1st Gen Moto X that's going pretty strong since Nov '13. Lte/Med user average 3 days give or take and just 3hrs SOT since July '14. Biggest thing that kept me with the Moto is Active Display, Battery (although reviews from some speak otherwise) and just the way it feels in your hand. Photos..that's another thing <meh>. This Sony Z3v has me on the ropes. Camera, battery, screen, storage is just getting hard to resist. Also don't hear of too many complaints. And now the Z4 rumor. Seems you can never stay ahead of technology...something always jumps in there like the Droid Turbo. That's been my next phone since it came out but now having Sony thoughts. :)

DJJeffT

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
I still have a 1st Gen Moto X that's going pretty strong since Nov '13. Lte/Med user average 3 days give or take and just 3hrs SOT since July '14. Biggest thing that kept me with the Moto is Active Display, Battery (although reviews from some speak otherwise) and just the way it feels in your hand. Photos..that's another thing <meh>. This Sony Z3v has me on the ropes. Camera, battery, screen, storage is just getting hard to resist. Also don't hear of too many complaints. And now the Z4 rumor. Seems you can never stay ahead of technology...something always jumps in there like the Droid Turbo. That's been my next phone since it came out but now having Sony thoughts. :)

I came from a MotoX-13.

Loved Active Display. Found an app called AcDisplay that I love even better than the Moto Active Display: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...details?id=com.achep.acdisplay&token=dJdee16U

Wife had the Droid Turbo for about 10 days, then with my suggestion, switched to the Z3v and loves it. We were both always with a moto device, so there is a bit of a learning curve, but overall I really love this phone.

iamunderdawg

Dec 20, 2014
Visit site
I am coming from numerous phones. Owned the Iphone 6 for several days, nice device, but still own the Z3V!
I just can't find the one phone that does all perfectly, but the Sony gets an A +!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs