[EI22][GINGERBREAD][EPIC 4G] Official Gingerbread Thread

Was the wait worth it now that you running official Gingerbread??

• Total voters

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
one last ? before i throw in the towel,.when you downloaded did you click on file to open or did you turn off phone and restart with correct buttons pressed?

Don't extract or open the file. It only needs to be renamed to "update.zip" then moved to the root directory and then follow the instructions to boot into recovery and install the update.zip.

kitchin

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting much better cell signal now. The campus I'm at is constantly during 1 bar, 3 bars, no bars, 2 bars, etc. Now I have a steady 3-4 bars constantly. I'm loving it. Yay Sammy

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Worked perfectly!! Thanks Paul.

It took a total of about 8 minutes from the button press to the home screen with everything loaded completely. (Got a little worried when the Galazy S logo stayed around for a minute or so)

Firmware shows as 2.3.5
Build Number is GINGERBREAD.E122

I have never rooted the phone, but am willing to try it if there are features that can be (or need to be) fixed/tweaked for optimum performance now that GB is here.

Thanks again Paul and everyone else for your efforts to see this through and your help for those of us who needed it.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Better signal? Imagine that... Sammy must have done something wrong! hahah

Hey trust me everyone I'm your biggest cheerleader, hanging in here for you all giving you the best support I can!

TransBat

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Paul, I had a quick question for you. I've been a long time lurker, but never posted until now. I started to root/rom back in July, and my phone has been running on the EXT4 filesystem ever since. Before I ODIN my phone back to stock, should I perform a EXT4 to RFS conversion. I didn't know if the EI22 build would convert my file system or not.

I also wanted to thank you for your continued guidance for us Epic 4G owners, even though you no longer use that device ;) Your ACE Rom was what finally convinced me to root/ram my device, and I've been thankful I did ever since.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Now if there was a one click root for this. I will never use oden again.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

I doubt you will see a One Click Root again, all the exploits used in the past were patched by Google.

Odin will still be needed to apply ClockWorkMod and then from there you can flash Superuser which obtains root access and from there your onward to goodness..

Ahh heck you got official GB! Enjoy it...

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Paul, I had a quick question for you. I've been a long time lurker, but never posted until now. I started to root/rom back in July, and my phone has been running on the EXT4 filesystem ever since. Before I ODIN my phone back to stock, should I perform a EXT4 to RFS conversion. I didn't know if the EI22 build would convert my file system or not.

I also wanted to thank you for your continued guidance for us Epic 4G owners, even though you no longer use that device ;) Your ACE Rom was what finally convinced me to root/ram my device, and I've been thankful I did ever since.

Well once you Odin back to stock it will convert your filesystem to RFS. No further action will be required by you.

As of right now Gingerbread EI22 is based on RFS, but I think since the source has already been out for a while the kernel devs have already cooked up some EXT4 kernels which will be used on the custom ROMs as they come out.

Glad you enjoyed ACE ROM. Froyo EB13 version was a big winner, solid performer... EC05 has a few quirks but it was off one of the first deodexed builds released so it had a few early bugs in it...

Enjoy official GB...

tektoys

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
thanks Paul, i tried that (whew) but now what i get is assert failed: apply_patch_check ("/system/bin/recovery", "a whole bunch of numbers

E:error in /sdcard/update.zip
(status 7)
installation aborted

thanks

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
quadrant benchmark for my bone stock gingerbread epic is much improved @ 1411 vs 1065.

carraser891

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
On stock EC05, downloaded the file to my Mac, changed to update.zip, moved it to the sd card root directory, followed the instructions to reboot, clicked update.zip and i got an error message and the install was aborted. Anyone know what the problem is?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
quadrant benchmark for my bone stock gingerbread epic is much improved @ 1411 vs 1065.

Yes Yes... I think I told you something about this a while back... Gingerbread is more "optimized" for our phone and even more specifically our processor.

Thats a nice little bump in speed. Should make the phone a bit snappier now :)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
On stock EC05, downloaded the file to my Mac, changed to update.zip, moved it to the sd card root directory, followed the instructions to reboot, clicked update.zip and i got an error message and the install was aborted. Anyone know what the problem is?

Try redownloading the file? Bad download maybe...

What is the error message your getting...

I know you said stock EC05 but are you rooted? That could be causing problems.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I just want to get this clear, because im n00bish.....I need to flash back to stock, then update, then re-root?

Yes you need to be on stock EC05. Instructions for that is in the OP of this thread.

Then follow the other instructions to install and we also have rooting instructions (link) in the OP too..

Good Luck!

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Yes Yes... I think I told you something about this a while back... Gingerbread is more "optimized" for our phone and even more specifically our processor.

Thats a nice little bump in speed. Should make the phone a bit snappier now :)

Closed a few programs running in the background and a few services and bumped me up to 1589.

idntfd

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone had any trouble with the Contacts app? I keep getting an error message saying:

"The proces adroid.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again"

it does this anytime I try to see anyone's contact info.

I installed EI22 manually using upgrade.zip... everything else seems to be working fine.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty