Where has all my memory gone??

San-Man

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
OK, basically stock Epic with the "Mostly Stock Rebuild" rom installed...I'm running out of onboard ram and I don't know where it's all gone...According to APP2SD I have 26 programs that take up about about 80 megs of Phone Only ram...Everything else than it'll let me move to the SD card has been moved but I've only got about 25 megs of ram available...I've cleared the cache using the option built into A2SD and even gone so far as to clearing some app data but I'm still jammed up...it's getting to the point where all I have left (of the big files anyway) are apps that can't be uninstalled like Flash Player, Maps, Facebook, etc...The rom allowed me to remove some bloatware but I'm sure there's probably more that can go...still... I don't see what's taking up so much space...Any ideas??? Thanks in advance...

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Do you have a rather large contact list or mass amount of text messages, emails? Things like that will eat up space quickly too since those are held directly on the device internal memory.

Reminds me of a user back months ago who couldn't figure out why he was running out of space and his device was real sluggish.. Come to find out he had over 2000 text messages saved from the last year + and he imported old text msgs from a previous device.... He cleaned it up and his device performed much better...

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
WOW! I would never think to save that many texts...or emails for that matter. I was thinking he needed Gemini App Manager (since the Stock Level 1 Level 2 RAM manager is gone--and I couldn't use anyway becasue Level 2 always killed outgoing Texts). The "One Key Optimize" button in Gemini App Manager will free up a lot of RAM for open apps and auto opening apps. Of course if" you really need to nuke the phone for more RAM you can use the "Kill All, but some of the killed apps will "restart" -- e.g. Facebook, Maps. I think it is equivalent to Level 2 Kill in the stock, but I can verify it does not kill the GPS nor the outgoing texts like the Froyo version did.

San-Man

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I recently did dump a large amount of text messages but I didn't touch the emails as I assumed they were (with the exception of downloaded attachments) stored on my server...out of what's currently running I'm showing email as taking up 18 megs and Handcent SMS taking 17 megs so I guess I need to check those two out...for some reason, I see Settings as taking 18 megs too, no idea what that's all about...deleting some stuff now...thanks for the quick response...

San-Man

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
holy hell!! I just went back and deleted MORE text messages and my available ram went from 25 megs all the way up to 97!!!! I never figured they were taking up THAT much space...ah well...any ideas about the emails though? aren't just the headers being stored on the phone while the messages are still on the server?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
holy hell!! I just went back and deleted MORE text messages and my available ram went from 25 megs all the way up to 97!!!! I never figured they were taking up THAT much space...ah well...any ideas about the emails though? aren't just the headers being stored on the phone while the messages are still on the server?
Not positive on the emails but good to see I hit on something with the text msgs...

Reactions: San-Man

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
I use gmail and yahoo email apps, and as far as I'm aware both leave the messages on the server so only header info or whatnot would be stored on the device. Both of those accounts have 100s of emails on server going back a long time. I don't text a lot so I probably only have a few 100 and I set it to keep everything. Though I may have lost some really old ones between switching ROMs. I've never really had a problem with internal storage. I just move all the big apps that use close to 20MB or more each to the SD card. According to the market I have 83 apps (minus the handful of big apps I moved to the SD card) installed and they take up 363MB of space. I have over 100MB of free internal storage (CM7 ROM).

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I've personally never had a issue with internal memory. Then again I'm not a big app user.. I have maybe 25 something apps total on my device including the standard Google apps... I still remind myself that yes these are wonderful smartphones today (any device) but they are not our home computer or portable laptops.

Just my thoughts...

Dronak

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Do you have a rather large contact list or mass amount of text messages, emails? Things like that will eat up space quickly too since those are held directly on the device internal memory.

I wouldn't expect text messages to take up all that much space, since they're fairly small. But even small objects can end up taking up a lot of space if there are a lot of them. I don't have a huge number of texts, but it still might be a good idea to delete some/all of the ones I don't really need anymore.

With contacts though, how much space are they taking up on the phone if you're storing them on your Google account(s)? Clearly ones stored on the phone take up phone space, but if you're syncing from the cloud, will they still take up the same amount of space? If it's enough, I might want to try to trim that list, too. Would changing the display options for contacts to reduce the amount (number of groups) shown be enough to save phone space? Or do I actually have to remove people from my Google contacts? While I'm not desperate for phone space, I have been kind of low in the past, so I'm trying to pay more attention to it now and keep more space available. Thanks.

SAENZ_SCENE

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
How many backups of roms do you have? I had like 10 backups and I didn't even realize it until I was running low on memory. I deleted all back ups but one and got a ton of memory back.

San-Man

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I guess a big part of the space text messages take up is due to pics and other attachments...Similar with phone book entries, especially if a lot of them have pics attached...I would think it's all on the phone in addition to being on the server, unlike email...It wouldn't be all that good of a thing if we had to wait for our contacts list to connect to the server each time we just wanted to look up someone's info let alone make a call to them...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89