[GINGERBREAD][EL30] Official EL30 Gingerbread Samsung Epic 4g

adlebo

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
Question: when I odin back to froyo and jump back to gingerbread, do I need to first go back to EI22 or can I flash this EL30 zip right away?

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Okay, I'm looking to root and go with CM7, but I'm seeing posts about flashing modem?

I thought CM7 was the be-all-end-all. Guess I'm a bit behind, can someone point me in the right direction?

I'm looking for direction to a stable root/ROM (don't have time to flash update every week). One that will give me good radio, including WiMAX, able to tether my tablet to it (over WiMAX would be great, too), good GPS, no bloat and yes, working voice call and voice mail. I thought CM7 was it, but now...

Thanks.

The modem firmware is separate from your rom. CM7 is a fantastic AOSP based rom, most others are based off the Touchwiz files that are "stock" to our phone. Typically new modem firmware will give better reception, better wifi/BT, and also controls gps to a certain degree. What you're reading is people rolling back to the stock OS, since Samsung packages new modem firmware in their update packages. So if you came from say EC05 to CM7, you'll see under "about phone", the category for "Baseband" will say whatever the version of the stock OS you came from. I hope this clears some of it up for you.

Try CM7 for a bit (It's not all that bad to go back to stock, you just need ODIN, the Tar Rom file and the Pit file (resets the partitions back to stock), I feel you'll be pleasantly surprised at how well it runs. Although EL30 runs pretty darn nice IMHO, with my battery running upwards of 14hrs @15%, with the same usage that would have killed it around 8hrs on EI22.

Reactions: sinic and werkx

josearmz10789

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Hey people were saying that by removing CiQ they were getting better battery life can anyone say how battery life is with the new update. Also what is the horizontal fix for can anyone explain that.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

uscpsycho

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Hey people were saying that by removing CiQ they were getting better battery life can anyone say how battery life is with the new update. Also what is the horizontal fix for can anyone explain that.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

In Froyo, a lot of our phones got the pitch axis upside down (I don't know if all of them were, maybe they were and the ones who didn't complain never knew they had the problem). What this caused was VERY EXTREMELY erractic compass, and things like Google Skymaps would never point within 30 degrees. What you had to do was go into settings/display/horizontal calibration and lay the phone upsidedown on a table with the calibrate button visible, press it while phone was upside down and this would correct the orientation of the pitch axis, so compass apps would work. Now you don't have to do this.

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Not too sure about the GPS...when I first updated I would get 6-7 out of 10, yesterday it was 4 of 10, this morning it is only 2 of 10. I restarted the phone and got same result. If it continues, I'm considering applying the EI22 GPS fix. I'll copy the gpsd file from the system vendor bin folder first in case it doesn't work.

josearmz10789

May 25, 2011
Visit site
In Froyo, a lot of our phones got the pitch axis upside down (I don't know if all of them were, maybe they were and the ones who didn't complain never knew they had the problem). What this caused was VERY EXTREMELY erractic compass, and things like Google Skymaps would never point within 30 degrees. What you had to do was go into settings/display/horizontal calibration and lay the phone upsidedown on a table with the calibrate button visible, press it while phone was upside down and this would correct the orientation of the pitch axis, so compass apps would work. Now you don't have to do this.

hmm ive never had that problem or maybe havent noticed it, thanks for the explanation though.

uscpsycho

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
This is getting slightly off topic but useful for those of us who want to stay as close to stock as possible without rooting.

I used Odin & CWM to install the GPS fix to EI22 without rooting. But now we've learned that the EL30 update will fail as long as we have the gpsd file from the gps fix, so we need to get the original gpsd file in there.

Is it possible to copy the original gpsd file into the gps update zip file and re-apply the zip? Wouldn't that put the original gpsd file back in there without rooting and enable us to apply the EL30 update?

If that won't work, how about reapplying EI22? Or will that fail, just like EL30, due to the gpsd file?

Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
This is getting slightly off topic but useful for those of us who want to stay as close to stock as possible without rooting.

I used Odin & CWM to install the GPS fix to EI22 without rooting. But now we've learned that the EL30 update will fail as long as we have the gpsd file from the gps fix, so we need to get the original gpsd file in there.

Is it possible to copy the original gpsd file into the gps update zip file and re-apply the zip? Wouldn't that put the original gpsd file back in there without rooting and enable us to apply the EL30 update?

If that won't work, how about reapplying EI22? Or will that fail, just like EL30, due to the gpsd file?

Definitely worth a shot.... CWM will overwrite the modded GPS fix and replace it with the stock file. Then you should be able to update.. Sounds good in theory... Lets see how real world goes... Report back on this...

TheLittleStar

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Ran the manual update. Has anyone else noticed that wallpaper no longer scrolls when you change screens but is 'stuck' with the center of the wallpaper pic? I've tried changing wallpapers and using the built in offerings but they all behave the same way. :(
Yes. :( I hate it!! That was one of my favorite features. It just doesn't do my wallpaper justice anymore....

uscpsycho

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Definitely worth a shot.... CWM will overwrite the modded GPS fix and replace it with the stock file. Then you should be able to update.. Sounds good in theory... Lets see how real world goes... Report back on this...

I proposed two solutions...

Are you suggesting I reinstall EI22 or modding the GPS fix zip file with the original gpsd file and reapplying it?

If running the GPS fix with the original gpsd file is advised, does anyone know where I can get the original gpsd file? If you have it handy please post it :)

EDIT: If anyone is looking for the original gpsd file it is posted here xda-developers - View Single Post - Direct google link to download EL30 update here!

Last edited:

jmiller0519

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Can I just say that as someone who has random fits of OCD that the fact that the Icons for asphalt and qik still show under apps really ticks me off?

werkx

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Just closing the loop for now. Factory reset resolved the issue of not able to receive voice call (force close of com.android.com), and for me not able to listen to voice mail, also. I am not happy that I had to do that because of course all my apps data are wiped along with everything.

Prior to doing the factory reset, what I noticed is whenever a voice call comes and after selecting force close of the com.android.com app (volume button prior to the force close does not stop the ringing) the radio does a reset. If I happen to have WiFi on, then after the radio resets, both WiFi and 3G icons remain in the notification bar. If I togger the WiFi setting, then the 3G go away after WiFi is connected.

heresy_fnord

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Yes. :( I hate it!! That was one of my favorite features. It just doesn't do my wallpaper justice anymore....

Same here. I know it'll affect anyone that switches to this new upgrade but I'm disappointed that I can't see my entire wallpaper anymore. Why change something that wasn't even broken?

Were there a whole bunch of users complaining about the wallpaper moving and I just missed that along the way? :confused:

gyoung345

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Same here. I know it'll affect anyone that switches to this new upgrade but I'm disappointed that I can't see my entire wallpaper anymore. Why change something that wasn't even broken?

Were there a whole bunch of users complaining about the wallpaper moving and I just missed that along the way? :confused:
My guess is that it wasn't a fix but a new bug introduced. Fix one thing break 3 others... It's the never-ending story.