How much internal memory in the Epic 4G?

taylormah

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Yes, it has only 1GB ROM and 512MB RAM. Verizon Fascinate has 2GB ROM and I believe TMobile and AT&T versions both have 16GB ROM.

imekul

Sep 22, 2009
Visit site
Do you happen to know where that info comes from? I didn't see it mentioned in Sprint's official release for the Epic, so I'm guessing it came from some other source.

taylormah

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
The Epic I think comes with either an 8 or 16GB SD card however. I'd rather have that keyboard than internal memory anyway.

I dont know if it holds or not but I thought internal memory would have higher read rate and lower access times compared to external memory (sd card), thereby helping the performance of app opening. Of-course only someone familiar with mobile device hardware architecture can confirm this. But if its true, then I would wish for internal memory at least for storing apps. Verizon Fascinate provides a good middle ground - enough space for storing the apps and sd card can be used for media and user files.

imekul

Sep 22, 2009
Visit site
I dont know if it holds or not but I thought internal memory would have higher read rate and lower access times compared to external memory (sd card), thereby helping the performance of app opening. Of-course only someone familiar with mobile device hardware architecture can confirm this. But if its true, then I would wish for internal memory at least for storing apps. Verizon Fascinate provides a good middle ground - enough space for storing the apps and sd card can be used for media and user files.
That was my thinking. Depending on the speed of the MicroSD card, I guess, the internal memory could be much, much faster. Tasks like scrolling through photos could be kind of clunky if the media is stored on a slow card, like a Class Two MicroSD card.

taylormah

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
That was my thinking. Depending on the speed of the MicroSD card, I guess, the internal memory could be much, much faster. Tasks like scrolling through photos could be kind of clunky if the media is stored on a slow card, like a Class Two MicroSD card.

Exactly... Until SDXC cards with higher access rates become a norm for storage, I would keep wishing for higher internal memory -- helps quicker/faster browsing by making access to cached data faster and helps media apps.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
As for stock android, the apps are stored on the internal memory, so opening should not be affected. Having a phone with apps2sd and a class 4 card, there is no difference in mine (my ROM also seems to run smoother anyway, which negated any benefit of having the entire app on the internal memory).
I watch videos stored on the sd card, and they load just fine. Where you would see the benefit is copying files to the phone. I loaded a 1.3 GB movie and it took like 2 minutes to copy to the card and another 2-3 minutes to take off the card. Its not terrible, but you could cut that time down with the internal memory.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez