Do u think the epic will have gps issue

marisdaman

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
do you think the gps issue with the other galaxy s phone will be an issue for the epic also. I rely on my gps quite alot. I even use it for a phone book, to me sprint gps is very good. I would hate to pull out my outdated windowshield gps.

LET IT BE KNOWN AND GET THE WORD OUT TO YA OTHER TECHY SITES.. THAT THE NEXT PERSON TO DO A HANDS ON VIDEO REVIEW...CHECK THE GPS & COMPASS FEATURE.

Last edited:

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I sure as heck hope not! With the release of the Epic being over a month from the Captivate or the Vibrant, I would sure hope that Samsung fixed the problem already. I heard they actually issued gps fixes or are starting to roll them out, so I think the Epic will not have this issue. Also, this only affects A-GPS. I'm assuming you use an actual GPS right? If so, then even if the problem wasn't fixed, it should still function properly if you use the real GPS. Hope this helps!:)

ben7337

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Well Samsung has announced via twitter that they are working on the GPS and what not with Galaxy S model phones.

"We're testing software to optimize GPS on US Galaxy S. Expected updates avail. in Sept. Details & download to follow."

So I think it is safe to say, that the GPS will be fixed sometime within a month of the Epic 4G coming out. However due to the phone being CDMA and A-GPS using the towers to assist in gps lock, I believe there is a chance that the Sprint and Verizon galaxy s phones won't be as bad as the Captivate and Vibrant. This remains to be seen though.

Aero

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
the compass is not really at all teh same as the GPS. I have compass programs on several wm phones with excellent GPS that do not really work when walking.

I applied the fix one can see on ppcgeeks to a friend of my sons galaxy and it worked perfectly. we then tested it with several types of starts (hot, warm & cold, but not factory which would involve a RTN) and the GPS performed as well for acquisition and fix time, position and SNR of sats as the Treo Pro and Touch Pro we tested agaisnt in the same locations and same driving.

In his case the aGPS was ticked "off" by defualt.

This wast a laboratory test but it was a pretty good test, and I think it is not a hardware problem but a problem with default settings for agps. Such a default setting for agps may seem strange and pointless to us, but in fact if the settings were made with paid data in mind (common in europe) samsung leaving the "a" in a gps off by default is less strange. That together with some rom level correctable mistakes in almanac cache are probably at issue.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klesun