Official Build Date and Quality Thread

Mattism78

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Phone: 10.08 Battery: 2010.08.09

My only complaint with the phone is the loose slider. The corner has a bit more wiggle than I would prefer. I'm actually going in today to Sprint to compare and possibly exchange.
GPS works well with Sprint Nav. I tried google nav 3 times. It worked once out of 3. (I have a dedicated GPS in the car that I used daily so I'm not too concerned). I used my phone for an address (Sprint Nav) and set up my new Garmin at the same time. Both spoke out proper turns and were both prompt on instructions.
Capacative buttons work great.
Screen is almost too sensitive. I don't mean to touch it sometimes and find that I have pushed keys.
Battery life is what I would consider amazing. I have gotten 12+ hours with moderate use out of it.

bucc0303

May 12, 2010
Visit site
July battery and an august build. No issues except maybe the back cap button. My first one had screen liftage on the left side. The glass was raised running flush instead of recessed. This current one to me is epic. Cap button I believe is more software. So with froyo around the corner I think this will be addressed then.

odub303

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
08-10 phone, 07-25-10 battery.

-phone build quality good, no screen issues, GPS good, keyboard good, minor responsiveness issues with capactive buttons, mostly the back button.
-initial battery life was atrocious, did a factory reset to hopefully recalibrate the battery and the algorithm, ran through a few drain/charge cycles, using Juicedefender, now battery life is way more acceptable but still not what others with 08-10 batteries are reporting.
-my main issue at this point is that I cannot, no matter what I do, get my Macbook Pro running OS X 10.6.4 to recognize the SD card in the phone (SDK installed with root directory set in .bash_profile, USB debugging enabled, SD card mounted in phone).

I am considering either getting a replacement batter or getting a replacement device because of the back button and SD card issues.

jfenton

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
08-10 Phone and 8-10-10 battery.

Everything works as expected and GPS is dead nuts as long as I launch GPS Test first.

Sprint NAV works perfectly without launching GPS Test but any Google map software doesn't until after GPS Test is launched..

cbpagent72

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Build date 10.08, the only issues I have had is my Wifi seems to keep dropping the signal, cannot download from Android Market while using Wifi and I get a 503 error when I try to use YouTube application while on Wifi.

quibbs

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Phone Build: 10.08
Battery: 08.05.2010

-No screen issues
-Overall fit and finish is great
-No real GPS issues yet (have barely used it)
-Speaker is fine
-Keyboard works well
-All buttons are working well
-Wifi works
-3g is fine, though I have not logged enough talk time to comment on overall call quality
- Battery life is not that great, but I didn't expect it to be. (less than 7 hours with moderate use and juicedefender on my first day out and about with the phone).

bipoler#AC

Banned
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
My only concerns at this point are making batter life last longer, something must be draining ti I SHOULD be able to get between 6-8hrs (make it thru a day at work) and GPS could use SOME minor improvements, give us 2.2 and pray for 3.0( we have the hardware for it) and I think I found a winner in android OS!

bipoler#AC

Banned
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
O I forgot a better QIK update for US so or screen shows up better on other phones, and make QIK/Fring work for all android phones meaning while they dont have dual cameras(majority) they could still use the back camera I think it would increase video chat awareness

iBullfight

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Phone Build: 10.07

1.Major GPS Problems, cant get better than within 30 Meters acurracy on Google Maps where my wifes evo gets within 4 meters almost instantly.

2.capacitive buttons sometimes require a double tap, but not too bad

3. Battery life and build quaility seem exellent.

maybe the GPS problem is a 10.7 thing?

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
July battery and an august build. No issues except maybe the back cap button. My first one had screen liftage on the left side. The glass was raised running flush instead of recessed. This current one to me is epic. Cap button I believe is more software. So with froyo around the corner I think this will be addressed then.

Had the EXACT same problem.

Ricolando

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
10.08 phone and 8-12-10 battery. So far the battery life has kicked butt. Used pretty heavily for 8 hrs one day still had about 25% battery. The capacitive buttons sometimes require a double tap, unless I use my thumbs, and gps isn't able to lock closer than 30 meters which causes issues when I'm merging into one of the huge highway hubs here in Miami. Purchased from Bestbuy so your build date is a crapshoot.

Last edited:

downsouth11

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Build is 10/07

Battery is real issue. Lasts 4-6 hrs with moderate/light use

GPS seems to lock but Google maps says it is within 30 meters. But like I said, it seems to be locked on.

Awesome phone but I may exchange to see if the newer build has better battery life. Hopefully I won't get one with other defects.

sonihc

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
this is my second Epic.
The first one:
-screen separation problem
-have to click back capacitive button twice or more
-battery ok comparing with my Evo
-Noticed some lag
The second and current Epic:
-Still problems with the capacitive buttons
-Still having some Lag

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

No issues other then not making me coffee in the morning and no tv out (hoping for a 2.2 release of this or at least a cooked rom with it)

GPS works great, buttons work great, external keyboard works great, no signal issues, no time without signal issues, keyboard is AWESOME (best I ever used), battery life is OK, screen is BEAUTIFUL no screen door either when browsing the web and media/email/work tasks are all great. The only issue is the battery life being OK, and to be honest its to be expected with a device so powerful. I will be getting an extended battery as soon as one releases but until then Great phone and just what I have been wishing and looking for!

edit: Now after a reset from getting the production date I now have 50% time without signal. I will have to keep an eye out for this.

Last edited:

Aero

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I have three lines with epics, two have been replaced.

I don't have the original two to test but the remaining one from the same lot from the same store purchased together is batter Aug 5 and handset Aug 10. Battery draws down about 5% more overnight when left off charger in reset state with nothing running that our other two Aug 18 (Saturday?) which have Aug 14 batteries.

the replacement was mainly for capacitive "back" keys which were working markedly worss than otehr capacitive keys.

pastorich1

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
This is my second Epic. The first was picked up at Sam's Club on 8/31 and replaced at Sam's Club on 9/1. The first was replaced for non-responsive capacitive buttons (back and home were severe). It would take 2-10 touches to register.

10/8 phone 10/8 battery

Only issue I am having is maybe a slight screen separation starting. It doesn't appear to affect function but I am noticing a tiny amount of slip when I touch the screen along the left side (when in portrait) or bottom (when landscape). I can feel (and hear) a slight rub as the screen slips up and down within the frame. It is not extending above the lip of the frame though.

Is that what people are talking about with screen separation?

Danger_Mouse#AC

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
My first phone was a 10/8 that I ordered through sprint online. I noticed two noticeable problems within an hour.

-I had it I noticed the screen was pretty wobbly when open. It had a 1mm give. It also made a clicking sound when I moved it.
- I downloaded Angry Birds and when playing I noticed a blue dot on the left side of the screen. I tried restarting it and it was still there. Seems like it was a dead pixel, so I brought it back to a store immediately.

The replacement I got is also a 8/10 and seems to be working fine. Only thing I noticed was there is some space between the keyboard and screen when closed. When you look at it from the side you could see through to the other side. When you tap hard on the lower part of the screen you can feel it go down a little. The space may only be 1mm thick. Is this normal?

rldev

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
This is my second Epic. The first was picked up at Sam's Club on 8/31 and replaced at Sam's Club on 9/1. The first was replaced for non-responsive capacitive buttons (back and home were severe). It would take 2-10 touches to register.

10/8 phone 10/8 battery

Only issue I am having is maybe a slight screen separation starting. It doesn't appear to affect function but I am noticing a tiny amount of slip when I touch the screen along the left side (when in portrait) or bottom (when landscape). I can feel (and hear) a slight rub as the screen slips up and down within the frame. It is not extending above the lip of the frame though.

Is that what people are talking about with screen separation?

I am on my second one which had better capacitive buttons and more solid slider. I do have a noticeable 1mm gap between both halves on the bottom(I can wedge an envelope in the front of the gap). I think I may have screen separation on the left middle to left lower side. I can here the phone creak or rub sometimes when pressing the left side of the screen. But this may be due to the gap. I'm not sure how to tell if this is screen separation or not. The left side seems fairly flush with the edge(more-so than the right). I don't seem to notice any squeaking or rubbing when the keyboard is open. I wish there was a definitive way to tell. Any tips? I am going to wait for the end of the month either way. Everything else is working too well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez