Cell "Time Without Signal" ~ 50%

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
On my Evo, I was able to reduce this by running that "Network" App (from market) and setting cdma -auto (prl).

When I try and run the same app on my Epic 4G, it forces close, and doesn't let me change it.

Question:
How can I set the network to be cdma- auto (prl) and stop the hunting for he non-existant GSM?

HELP! It's slurping down the battery to the point where it might need to be returned.

Thanks,
Mike

NSS

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Well if you know where your at with no service turn it to flight mode by holding down the lock/power button. I don't get service in my little office at work so I just turn it flight mode and save A LOT of battery.

Annihil8or

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Well if you know where your at with no service turn it to flight mode by holding down the lock/power button. I don't get service in my little office at work so I just turn it flight mode and save A LOT of battery.

I keep hearing this answer to signal concern questions and this doesn't really solve the problem. The OP wants to connect to CDMA, not eliminate all questions. If I was going to put my phone in flight mode to save battery at work then I'd just go ahead and turn it off. I still want to receive text messages...

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Does this problem exist on Verizon??

It's 2010. Why would a Sprint CDMA phone try to connect to GSM anyway?

Mike

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Does this problem exist on Verizon??

It's 2010. Why would a Sprint CDMA phone try to connect to GSM anyway?

Mike

On the Eris (Verizon), it was a huge problem. The phone is not trying to connect to a GSM tower. Android, however, does work on GSM networks so the capability is in the OS ;)

OP -- It's not just you. Looks like there may be a network programming issue that needs addressed by Sprint. Keith Newman is working on a temporary fix, as he has the same issues. I'll holler at him to come visit this thread :)

irock1985

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Ok so i just checked my girlfriends Epic and her time w/o signal is at 50% and we have been in the same location where my Evo's time w/o signal is at 0% obviously this is a major problem and causing a lot of unnecessary battery drain. Also I downloaded the "Network" app and tried setting it to CDMA auto PRL but when I exit and return it shows it set to WCDMA (a.k.a. GSM 3G).

I think the problem is that this is a galaxy S phone and all the others are GSM so they have the GSM radios in it by default. Which in itself is not a problem but they need to be turned off. The phone needs to be able to be set to not look for GSM towers. Since the network app won't work nor does *#*#4636#*#* I have no clue as to how this will get fixed w/o a software update from Sprint/Samsung.

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
OK I checked, my time without signal is also 50% and I am on a strong Sprint area where I have good reception at all times. Don't know what to make of this information as I don't have any battery drain issues as some of you do.

taylormah

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Guys, who are having this problem, what is the build date of your device?? It is posted under the battery. I am trying to see if there is a relationship between these issues and device's build date.

symplistik

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site

I did this last night and I must say, it has saved me a TREMENDOUS amount of battery life! Initially, I read about this on the XDA forums and I noticed how people it's a quick fix until a permanent fix is available. So I did it before I went to bed and left my phone off of the charger to see how much battery drain there would be. Battery drainage decreased drastically and so far today, my battery is doing excellant. Yesterday, my cell standby was around 58% and today ... it's 8%. That's a MAJOR difference.

Edit: I just wanted to clarify that I didn't actually leave flight mode on. Per directions over on the XDA forums, it says to turn flight mode on and then turn it right back off. That resets the radio.

Even though this fixes the problem temporarily, Sprint|Samsung seriously need to come out with an update that will rid problems like these. Hopefully it'll be one soon.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Toggling on and off airplane mode fixes the issue until next reboot. But it also breaks gps. There is a bigger programming issue here. Can't wait for froyo.

Toast95135

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Have you guys updated the PRL? Mine started giving me high TWS, and it was suggested on another forum to update it. Ever since then it's gone back down to 0-2%.

Toast95135

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
It's under "About Phone"->"System Updates" and then choose update Profile and PRL. Supposedly Sprint updates the network and which towers to use, what carriers to roam on, etc and when you update the PRL it can help with the high TWS situation. Yesterday mine was getting 50 and 51% and so I tried it and it worked and instantly went back down.

yellowxboy

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm kinda new here with android, hoe are you guys checking the time without signal? I can't find any status menu for that on my Epic

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

CubsFanForLife

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
It's under "About Phone"->"System Updates" and then choose update Profile and PRL. Supposedly Sprint updates the network and which towers to use, what carriers to roam on, etc and when you update the PRL it can help with the high TWS situation. Yesterday mine was getting 50 and 51% and so I tried it and it worked and instantly went back down.

The reason updating your PRL seemed to work is because a PRL update forces the radio to restart, the same effect turning airplane mode on and back off has. The PRL is still 60670 and has been for a few weeks. Just thought I'd point this out :D

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
The reason updating your PRL seemed to work is because a PRL update forces the radio to restart, the same effect turning airplane mode on and back off has. The PRL is still 60670 and has been for a few weeks. Just thought I'd point this out :D

Exactly, reboot phone and you'll notice time without signal going back up.

CubsFanForLife

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
How do we contact Samsung or Sprint about this?

Beyond calling CS for both companies a few times, I don't think there's really much that can be done until Froyo is rolled out for the device. It's only been a week since the phone was released and those of us used to dealing in the mobile tech world know all too well how issues often arise early on with the release of a device.

One would assume that both companies are aware of this issues, as well as others that will be fixed with Froyo. At this point, it's simply a matter of waiting patiently.

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm kinda new here with android, hoe are you guys checking the time without signal? I can't find any status menu for that on my Epic

I was confused for a good while too; I couldn't find it anywhere :/ Just go to battery use under "about phone" and tap on Cell Standby, it will tell you there!