Apps running non stop

KB123456789

Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
Hey, just came to pixel 7 from years of Samsung. My battery life is pretty bad and I've noticed several apps are running non stop. With Samsung the battery usage would list the time it used battery when open and the time it used the battery in the background. With this phone it seems to list many apps like it's open and being used all day and zero in the background. Things like Gmail sure I'd expect a decent amount in the background because it's always checking but should list zero unless I open it.

I have a smart watch app which is brutal. Like 20% battery usage in 2 hours without even opening the app. I can't find any settings to help because they are not running in the background so things like restricted within battery settings does nothing. That only works to prevent it from using battery while in the background but the app is acting like it's actually open not in background. Battery saver does not help because it seems to think the apps are open like I said, not in the background. All the phone setting only apply to background. So looks like I need an app to prevent apps from even opening unless I open it, then kill it when I close it. I DO NOT want any of the phone settings which do that for ALL apps, only ones I select. However google
search is not bringing me anything other than check this setting... I need an app because google seems to think it knows better than me... I need to be able to kills specific apps when they close and never open or run again unless I open it. Any suggestions?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Which smartwatch? If you have a Fossil watch running Wear OS 3.0, I've read that the Fossil app for the phone is a battery hog. That'd be something for Fossil to work on.

bxrider117

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the other side. Did you load a backup of all your data and apps from the Samsung phone to the Pixel? Or did you do a clean install.
I came from the S22+ to the 7 Pro and my 1st 2 weeks of battery were trash. I also had immediately downloaded the Pixel beta OS when I 1st got the Pro.
It was a pain but what I did was a factory reset on my Pixel and that cleared everything up.

KB123456789

Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
It's a cheap Amazon special so I'm not surprised but it just sucks. I'd like to have the app killed which means losing notifications on the watch but could at least see info and then kill it again after I close the app.

Interesting. Yes I did a backup or now that I'm thinking maybe I used a cord to connect the 2 phones. Either way I'm sure that's essentially the same thing other than downloading them from online. My only real issue would be my texts. I wonder if I can just back up messages even if I had to use a separate app to backup or does Google messages have its own backup not tied to the main backup? I guess I could clear storage for all apps which would start fresh app wise but I suspect the issue would be when the backup transfers the settings now necessary the apps.

Since the battery usage settings seem off to me. Anyone want to send a screenshot of the battery usage So I can compare? I just want to see if your top used apps list similar to mine or if it lists them primarily as running and not background like mine. I have time now so I might just do the wipe and reset.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Maybe we can try to pinpoint the main culprit first. Since you pointed out the smartwatch app, try uninstalling it and seeing if the battery still drains excessively. If not, then you'll know at least that the smartwatch app is the only app causing problems. You could try sending feedback to the smartwatch maker -- if it's a well-established company like Amazfit, maybe they'll look into it. (But if it's one of those no-name or alphabet-soup Chinese brands, then you'll probably be out of luck.)

KB123456789

Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
Sorry for the delay, I got locked out and the forget password link was not sending the reset link so had to create a new account... I did a reset and started fresh. The battery settings seem to be accurately reporting usage now and a few other settings are better. So sounds like the backup did mess something up. I gave up with the watch app and ordered a new garmin since the app was garbage and there was nothing they would do. Thanks for the help, its was annoying but at least the reset and not using a back up fixed some other issues.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry for the delay, I got locked out and the forget password link was not sending the reset link so had to create a new account... I did a reset and started fresh. The battery settings seem to be accurately reporting usage now and a few other settings are better. So sounds like the backup did mess something up. I gave up with the watch app and ordered a new garmin since the app was garbage and there was nothing they would do. Thanks for the help, its was annoying but at least the reset and not using a back up fixed some other issues.

Ok, sounds good. I'll change your previous posts using the other username so that they belong to your current one, then get rid of the username.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali