Portrait photos are landscape!

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
My epic 4g user its complaining he takes a photo portrait but when he uploads it, it is landscape.

He really wants to hold the camera portrait because he doesn't want to be so obvious that he's taking a photo.

Any solutions?

Thanks

Mike

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

heavy1metal

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Most default photo viewing software will allow you to rotate it, are they uploading it directly a website like facebook or something?

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Most default photo viewing software will allow you to rotate it, are they uploading it directly a website like facebook or something?

Agree, use a photo editing program on the computer to permanently change the orientation. Even the built-in Widows viewer allows you to do that.

Having said that, there are a number of programs on the market that promote themselves as in-phone photo editing suites. Never used one myself as I take my photos with a dedicated camera rather than the phone, so don't know what functionality they may offer for that.

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
These were uploaded using tweetcaster.

So, are most people shooting photos with the camera held in a landscape orientation?

Just curious, as I'm not a fan of holding it that way.

That being said, I suppose it needs to be oriented in some way, so if most people prefer landscape, then I guess they just made it act like that.

I'm surprise there isn't a setting in the camera which knows which way you are holding it, and makes the adjustment when snapping the picture.

Mike

heavy1metal

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
It's the same for most any other camera honestly, if I hold my point and shoot camera normally (which is what the epic is trying to recreate I imagine, given where the shutter button is), they come out fine, but if I hold my camera vertically (portrait) then when I upload them, it'll still be in landscape / horizontal. Same deal with my xTI.

nKoan

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
It's the same for most any other camera honestly, if I hold my point and shoot camera normally (which is what the epic is trying to recreate I imagine, given where the shutter button is), they come out fine, but if I hold my camera vertically (portrait) then when I upload them, it'll still be in landscape / horizontal. Same deal with my xTI.

Some cameras are getting in accelerometers to know which orientation the camera is in, which is nice. Both my Canon SX110-IS and T1i both auto-rotate photos.

Regardless, I'm actually surprised that this isn't in the standard camera too. I also picked up an app called FxCamera, and there is an option to auto-rotate photos. Its turned off by default as well.

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
Just took a test picture holding the pic in portrait, and it's oriented the correct way in the photo gallery.

I suspect the app he's using is not letting the pic be in portrait. I think the facebook android app does this as well.

Atomic Playboy

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
After some non-scientific, not-very-extensive testing, it appears that when accessing the camera outside of the built-in camera app (via Facebook, Twitter, etc.) or through MMS/Qik, the orientation of the phone isn't taken into account. I hope this is a bug in Samsung's code rather than apps that access it, because that means there are a LOT of apps out there that won't be able to take proper portrait-oriented photos. I ran into this problem several times when taking photos with media-posting software, but every photo I've taken through the default camera app is oriented correctly.

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Took a few shots in landscape and portrait and dragged them back to my desktop computer. Opened them using Photoshop, Lightroom and GIMP, all of them showed correct orientation. This suggests to me the phone camera software is actually including the orientation data. Perhaps the programs you are using are not reading/using this info.

Monsterr

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
This is SUCH an annoying bug!

It only happens when the camera is used out of an app.

For example, taking a picture directly from a Twitter application in Portrait mode.

When it shows the PREVIEW of the image, the image is correctly rotated.

But when uploaded, it will be in LANDSCAPE.

It will show correctly rotated in the gallery, but the picture itself isn't rotated when directly uploaded.

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Here's the solution (and very sorry: I ended up posted it in 2 forums)

This is even better than the previous resizer which only resized.

The "Reduce Photo Size" app also rotates & crops (leaving the original intact).

So, from gallery | share | "reduce photo size" (reduce/rotate/crop as desired) then Share | twitter (or facebook) or whatever!

Just realized that the epic 4G Camera physical button will load the camera app.

I also use no-lock so I can do this from an off-state.

I'm very happy with this solution.

Mike

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez