Transferring photos to computer; questions about what I'm seeing.

DBarnes42

Apr 12, 2020
Visit site
Hello all! I have a 3a XL and am transferring pictures to my computer using Android File Transfer (I do have them backing up to Google Photos, but I also transfer to my computer as well). I have a few questions about what I'm seeing (screenshots are attached).

In Screen Shot 1, I've opened DCIM/Camera, and I have a bunch of folders beginning with "IMG_" ... some of them have what appears to be images in them (see Screen Shot 2), but others don't have anything in them. I have 313 (!!) of these folders, and I don't recall seeing them before — what are they? Some of the filenames say "PORTRAIT" and "BURST" — I really hope that doesn't mean that every time I take a Portrait photo, the phone creates a completely separate folder for it, and that I'm going to have to open every single one of these 313 folders in order to drag any pictures in them onto my computer...? Please tell me that's not the case. That seems unnecessarily complicated and time-consuming.

And then after, what do I do with all these folders; do I delete them?

My other question is, after I transfer pics to my computer, I always delete the files from my phone. But when you reopen Google Photos on the phone, you still see all the pics, video, screenshots, etc. I'm assuming that's because the phone shows you everything that's backed up to Google Photos — but then how can you tell when looking at your phone which images are still actually ON your phone, and which AREN'T? Is there a way to do that?

Thank you for any and all help!!!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 1.png
    Screen Shot 1.png
    700.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Screen Shot 2.png
    Screen Shot 2.png
    773.8 KB · Views: 13

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi

I usually sign into my Google account on the computer and see my pictures from Google photos and drive that where on the phone . Haven't transfer with cable to computer in long time for pictures.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I've noticed this as well, and although I'm not entirely sure, I think these folders represent photos you may have edited or put in the trash. I think they act as placeholders in case you decide to restore the photo from the trash, or undo any edits you made.

Have you been backing your photos up to Google Photos in the cloud? Assuming you don't have any philosophical objection to using the cloud, it's a much easier way to back up your photos and clear up space on your phone.

korab84

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
The names on the photos have "burst" and I think that means that the camera has taken 2 versions on the photo and on the Photos app you can pick which to keep or keep both. Then you can back them up and use the Free Up Space function to delete the photos from the phone once they're backed up

DBarnes42

Apr 12, 2020
Visit site
Hi, yes I have, actually that was the first thing I mentioned in my post :) I prefer transferring many pictures to my computer as well because I like having the slightly higher quality image. Thanks!

DBarnes42

Apr 12, 2020
Visit site
Hi korab84, yes, that is what I suspected regarding the "burst" photos — argh, but now I guess that means every time I want to manually transfer photos, if I've taken a bunch of portrait shots (portrait seems to automatically take 2 versions; one with the background clear, one with it blurred) that I'm going to have to open each one of those folders?!?!?!?!? UGHHHHHH

korab84

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi korab84, yes, that is what I suspected regarding the "burst" photos — argh, but now I guess that means every time I want to manually transfer photos, if I've taken a bunch of portrait shots (portrait seems to automatically take 2 versions; one with the background clear, one with it blurred) that I'm going to have to open each one of those folders?!?!?!?!? UGHHHHHH

Use the Google Photos app on your phone to backup things to Google Photos..like you mentioned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali