epic accuracy using gps test app

vader4633

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Using the gps test app in the market, I cannot get less than 98.4 feet accuracy standing outside. I know the Epic is not a great gps device, but I saw Phil's video of both captivates with and without the new gps fix and it was getting 30 feet accuracy. I was wondering what everyone else was getting with the Epic?

taylormah

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
98.4 feet = 30 meters. This number has been hard coded in epic's gps program. Some programmer just left it there as such. This has been discussed in depth on android forums.

vader4633

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
98.4 feet = 30 meters. This number has been hard coded in epic's gps program. Some programmer just left it there as such. This has been discussed in depth on android forums.

Ahhh, stupid metric system :). If you watch the video from the captivates that phil did, it shows 32.8 in feet not meters.

Last edited:

Aero

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
This number has been hard coded in epic's gps program. Some programmer just left it there as such.

Yes you can see the hardcode, instead of the required calculation, but there are reasons to do it intentionally. So I would not say we know it is an accident. Some location apps have minimum accuracy for coarse and fine location fixes in Android.

So accident maybe, but that exact hardcoding can be effective as a cheat to mask problems if you were dealing with an imperfect aGPS implementation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38