Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Which keyboard do you use most?

I chose this phone over the EVO due to the screen more than anything else. I know some people chose it because of the hardware keyboard which is something else that I did like about the Epic as well.

I am just curious for Epic users, do you use the Hardware or the touchscreen keyboard more often?

I personally have noticed that despite the fact that I thought I would use the hardware more, I have actually used the touchscreen quite a bit more. I think the only times I have used the hardware is when I have put in wireless security codes.

I use the slide out keyboard more often than the virtual keyboard.....

I use Swype 99% of the time.

I use hard keyboard about 1-2 times a week.
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    N/A

Virtual, the hardware keyboard just isn't sensitive enough to my presses.

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

hardware....i have to constantly correct mispelled words when using virtual

Global Posts
    306 Global Posts

virtual. just faster

If it's something simple then I'll use Swype, if not then I'll use the hardware keyboard.

I use the physical keyboard the majority of the time. Just can't get used to Swype.

For texting or email pretty much always hardware keyboard. I find when entering info for the internet I use the virtual. I do love Swype though
    !

ROM
    TrulyEpic Rebirth v

Used the physical keyboard mostly at first, then I got used to swype. Now I can't stop using it. I only use the keyboard when i'm playing roms now.
    Retired Ambassador

Swype 99.9999%

Global Posts
    2,679 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aclays View Post
    Used the physical keyboard mostly at first, then I got used to swype. Now I can't stop using it. I only use the keyboard when i'm playing roms now.
    similar boat. was sure I woudl need hardware keyboard all the time, now I rarely use it. when I do use it it is because I need it editing a document, but I never use it for answers to emails or tests. Same think for my wife. My 16 year old who came from rumor and insisted on hardware keyboard, now never, ever uses the slide out keyboard!

If evo had amoled, knowing what I now now I woudl go with evo. If there were two identical epis, but one had no keyboard and was 20% less bulky and less weight I would pick the version without the keyboard.

better keyboard with the mega man skin
    Once i get the ball you're at my mercy
    -Michael Jordan-

I use swype the most, but bust out the slider for longer emails, online forum posts, or a terminal app.

That said, the same keyboard on a evo (which I also have) would get a lot more use, as the touchscreen keyboard on the evo is not nearly as slick as swype.

SWype for short messages, longer I use the keyboard as my fat fingers mess up the virtual keyboard.

I do not like swype at all. I use smart keyboard pro 80% of the time. Physical keyboard 20% of the time. Smart keyboard pro is a great keyboard. Very customizable and well laid out. Best of any by far in my opinion. Also suggests words when using the physical keyboard. Very nice.

Another vote for Swype. I switched from a Blackberry and thought I would never adjust to a virtual keyboard.
    If you haven't used it, spend a little time practicing and going through their tutorials. I doubt you will switch back after using it for a week or so.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

I too use Swype more than anything else. It really was just a curiosity as to what people used since some people said they got this phone specifically because it has a hardware keyboard.

Global Posts
    175 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stovetop View Post
    I do not like swype at all. I use smart keyboard pro 80% of the time. Physical keyboard 20% of the time. Smart keyboard pro is a great keyboard. Very customizable and well laid out. Best of any by far in my opinion. Also suggests words when using the physical keyboard. Very nice.
    +1 for Smart Keyboard Pro! Well worth the ~$2.50. Especially love the AutoText feature.

I really only use the hardware keyboard if I need the screen real estate or if I'm using something like ConnectBot, where I need to be dead-on with each key press.

Global Posts
    487 Global Posts

The hardware keyboard on the epic blows that's why no one uses it. It is just to big and spread apart. Easier to type on the screen than that thing. I really cannot stand swype so I always use the android keyboard.

95% of the time I use Swype.

Longer emails I use the physical keybaord, but it turns out I'd be fine without it, but only because of Swype. I would use the physical keyboard more often if I had to use a standard touch-type keyboard.

I primarily use the virtual keyboard (SwiftKey or Smart Keyboard). I tend to use the physical keyboard for passwords n stuff.

Global Posts
    184 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aclays View Post
    Same here. Swype is awesome! Only time I use the physical KB is when I'm typing very long messages.
    Joe-KC2UUZ
    Samsung Galaxy S Epic 4G on....Sprint

This seriously happened to me the other day. My friend was using my phone and I actually thought they were pulling it apart. That is when I remembered I picked this phone over the evo for the keyboard...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast