Phone Freezes, Black Screen, Don't Receive Calls

Hannah2112

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I got my Epic 4g a month or so ago. The past few weeks it has been freezing and the screen is black when I go to call or text someone. And I don't receive calls! My husband is deployed and I don't want to miss any of his calls :/ I have not dropped the phone or anything. Is there any way to fix this?!!

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I got my Epic 4g a month or so ago. The past few weeks it has been freezing and the screen is black when I go to call or text someone. And I don't receive calls! My husband is deployed and I don't want to miss any of his calls :/ I have not dropped the phone or anything. Is there any way to fix this?!!

there are many things you can do but most consist of doing modifications via hacking.

but if you are looking for something that may fix the problem right away, have you considered doing a factory restore?

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi, Hannah2112.
I'm sorry to hear about your problem . I know how frustrated that could be.

When I have freezes like that I usually power the phone off, remove the battery and hold down the power Button for two seconds.... then reinsert the battery to see if that fix the problem. If not then the next step would be to "Reboot" the device.

(BTW) Welcome to Android Central.

Good luck.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I don't know what any of that means haha. Can you give me instructions?

Ok here is what you need to know before you do a factory reset. you will lose any data on your phone that is not saved to your SD card. so contacts, text messages. widget settings etc..... are you ok with that?

Do you have your contacts backed up to your gmail account?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Hi, Hannah2112.
I'm sorry to hear about your problem . I know how frustrated that could be.

When I have freezes like that I usually power the phone off, remove the battery and hold down the power Burton for two seconds.... then reinsert the battery to see if that fix the problem. If not then the next step would be to "Reboot" the device.

(BTW) Welcome to Android Central.

Good luck.

Good advice rush, but its kind of temporary she needs it to go away altogether.

its most likely caused by one of the apps she may have downloaded from the market that has bad coding

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Good advice rush, but its kind of temporary she needs it to go away altogether.

its most likely caused by one of the apps she may have downloaded from the market that has bad coding
Then a reset is definitely in order.

I had to do one myself this morning because I couldn't sign into my yahoo mail. I tried everything I know - nothing work except a complete reset of the device.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
It happens daily. Would you recommend just bringing it in to the store? Or should I delete all the apps I downloaded?
You don't need to return it to the store... get app brain from the market and sync all your apps with it. After doing a reset of the phone - reinstall app brain and sign in with your Google account and reinstall all your previous apps. That's what I do to keep all my apps.

Reactions: steveninstl

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
How do I save my contacts and what not?

if you have a google account set up on your phone do the following
Settings>accounts and sync>check off Auto-sync
then below that under manage accounts select your Gmail account then select sync contacts

after this is done sign on to your Gmail account from your computer and go to the contacts section they should all be there

OR

from home screen , choose contacts
hit the menu key> hit "more"
Export/import
you will have options Export to SD card
I think the epic may have Export to SIM also (not sure)
chose one and it will create a file in your SD card
or your sim card depending on what you chose