How outdated will new Android Phones make this one seem?

richhh

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, this phone seems like a perfect phone for me (except sprint). But i don't want a phone that will be obsolete in a few months so how much will phones like the HTC thunderbolt and other new phones make this phone seem underpowered and outdated?

carraser891

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, this phone seems like a perfect phone for me (except sprint). But i don't want a phone that will be obsolete in a few months so how much will phones like the HTC thunderbolt and other new phones make this phone seem underpowered and outdated?

No. The Epic 4G is still one of the most powerful phones on the market. Its GPU is still more powerful than the ones the new NVIDIA Tegra 2 processors are putting out. and in my opinion the Hummingbird processor is the fastest single core on the market.

jrz5024

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
^Truth. Hummingbird is on par with or better than even the new Snapdragons, and it's GPU is still one of the best on the market. The Epic might not be bleeding edge anymore, but it's still one of the most powerful phones out there, no doubt about it.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
The Epic does seem like an awesome phone still, but I worry about the recent complaings about the horrible Froyo bugs it has and when Samsung plans to fix it.

GSF1200S

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
The Epic does seem like an awesome phone still, but I worry about the recent complaings about the horrible Froyo bugs it has and when Samsung plans to fix it.

ACE Rom. What bugs?

Syndicate ROM fixes the keyboard dropped keys, lag, but it is heavily tweaked and you must use their themes.

ACE Rom, especially in a few releases will probably be the best all around ROM ever for the epic. Syndicate will be on par or right with it. I have 1 bug on my phone, and it changes depending on which of the two roms I use:

On ACE: dropped keystrokes on the hardware keyboard (not BAD or anything- the same amount that has plagued the epic since day 1- one key here or there..). Genocide kernel devs will prolly end up fixing this in their next release, likely using Syndicate's Twilight Zone kernel as a reference. Paul (dev of ACE) prolly wont have to do anything. Paul keeps ACE changes relatively simple and therefore you dont run into many problems with theming or stability.

On Syndicate: They fixed the keyboard button drops, but you cant charge the phone if it is turned off. This is expected to be addressed in the next release.

Otherwise, bugs are a thing of the past. Whew, it wasnt that long ago that I was on Eclair- now THAT was painful.

DaveInFL

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
As with any technology device. You have to buy it with the mindset that as soon as you have bought it, it is outdated. It's a fast paced industry and there is always something new right around the next corner.

richhh

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
As with any technology device. You have to buy it with the mindset that as soon as you have bought it, it is outdated. It's a fast paced industry and there is always something new right around the next corner.

Yeah but i don't want something that will be incapable in a few months.

HAAS599

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Another phone's hardware won't make the Epic feel outdated. When there are apps and games on the market that you really want but can't run on the Epic, then you will feel it's outdated.

jrz5024

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
On Syndicate: They fixed the keyboard button drops, but you cant charge the phone if it is turned off. This is expected to be addressed in the next release

This is a problem with CWM3.0.0.6, not SyndicateROM. You are correct however, it should be fixed with 1.0.1.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
If your worried about being outdated now, sure go ahead and by a newer model and give it 4-6 months or less and that phone will be outdated too.

You have to do your research, find what is right for you and your needs and plan on making the commitment for at least 1 yr with most plans. The Epic 4g in my opinion has not even come close to reaching its full potential. I believe a year from now you will still see many happy users rocking the Epic 4g...

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I have to admit- if I never wiped and rooted- I'd be hating my phone. I don't know if I downloaded something funky- or if it was the root or the sprintware being removed or the EXT4 vs. RFS... I'm sure it's all those things- but my phone is now as snappy as I expect it to be- where stock it was not and it was killing me.

The display rocks, having a keyboard is a plus when the screen frustrates me on some days, and I have few gripes other than the samsung programmed ones (like the headset jack overriding bluetooth- only phone I've ever owned that does this! grrrr)

I still would like to see better calendar/email support for android overall- but that's a different issue altogether. (Agendus can't come soon enough to Android- thank goodness Splashdata bought them and they see the light)

Do I think Dual/quad cores will make me jealous? doubtful- gaming just isn't that important to me. As long as I can surf the web, text and send/rec. email on a decent screen, I'm happy.

My next phone? I'd love a 4.5" SAMOLED+ display if I'm going to get a phone without a slider- but minimum, I will not accept a screen smaller than 4" period.

carraser891

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
If your worried about being outdated now, sure go ahead and by a newer model and give it 4-6 months or less and that phone will be outdated too.

You have to do your research, find what is right for you and your needs and plan on making the commitment for at least 1 yr with most plans. The Epic 4g in my opinion has not even come close to reaching its full potential. I believe a year from now you will still see many happy users rocking the Epic 4g...

its sad because the Epic 4G will never reach its full potential because it has very poor support from Samsung. I wanna see a game take full advantage of that beast of a GPU the Epic 4G has

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
its sad because the Epic 4G will never reach its full potential because it has very poor support from Samsung. I wanna see a game take full advantage of that beast of a GPU the Epic 4G has
As long as there are independent devs, it won't need Samsung's support.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

Games development won't have anything to do with Samsung. That will be up to the individual developers to take advantage of. The device makers simply go heres the device, have at it.... Sure some support from Sammy would help but it will not stop games from being made.

Personally I never have purchased a phone on the idea of game playing. That is what my XBOX or PS is for. They are gaming systems designed for simply that, gaming. The memory is different, the processors are designed different and the graphic processors are completely different. Sure the phones do an excellent job but they will never replace what a gaming system does.

carraser891

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Games development won't have anything to do with Samsung. That will be up to the individual developers to take advantage of. The device makers simply go heres the device, have at it.... Sure some support from Sammy would help but it will not stop games from being made.

Personally I never have purchased a phone on the idea of game playing. That is what my XBOX or PS is for. They are gaming systems designed for simply that, gaming. The memory is different, the processors are designed different and the graphic processors are completely different. Sure the phones do an excellent job but they will never replace what a gaming system does.

True

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

Have you not played any gameloft games?!?! If you haven't, I suggest you do! Click on the lil app icon that says 'free hd games' if you're on froyo EB13. You can't compare free games to paid ones so get yourself a game from gameloft and take advantage of your Epic!!

Btw, I have spider man: total mayhem and modern combat: sandstorm. Great loooking games for a phone!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member