Unlock/Root but preserve current data?

kbboykin

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Hello All,

I learned to root/unlock when I had my Nexus S 4 G. Right now my sprint GNex is perfect as it is: stock, unrooted, unlocked, with my custom homescreens/icons, etc. However, I am tired of waiting for sprint to release JB. I have JB on my Xoom WiFi and want it on my GNex. I want to root/unlock my GNex, but I don't want to lose any customizations I have nor data, should I choose to return to stock ICS. So my questions:

1. If I unlock/root this, will it erase my internal memory and app data?
2. TWRP vs CWM recovery?
3. Best way to nandroid exactly what I have now? ((I can't remember when I unrooted and unlocked my NS4g).
4. Anyone use the Galaxy Nexus Root Toolkit 1.4 by WugFresh? and if so, any issues?

Thanks, one and all

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Hello All,
1. If I unlock/root this, will it erase my internal memory and app data?
Based on the video I used to root/unlock my GNex, yes and no. Unlocking won't make you lose data but rooting it will.

2. TWRP vs CWM recovery?
It's all a matter of preference. I personally use TWRP because I wanted a change. I've been using CWM since I had the EVO 4G.

3. Best way to nandroid exactly what I have now? ((I can't remember when I unrooted and unlocked my NS4g).
Once you go into the recovery of your choice you'll see an option to back up your current set-up.

4. Anyone use the Galaxy Nexus Root Toolkit 1.4 by WugFresh? and if so, any issues?
I haven't used that one. I used GNex Toolkit v7.7 to flash CWM to my GNex (my phone was rooted when I got it) but I've heard great things about it for the rooting process.

Thanks, one and all

Reactions: icewater106

kbboykin

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site

Thanks. So it looks like once I unlock, do a nandroid, then root? Yes I saw the v7.7 also. The Galaxy Nexus Root Toolkit 1.4 by WugFresh has a graphical interface and will back up everything (as it turns out) BEFORE you do anything else. I will go further this PM when I get back home, but will back up my internal media (SD card) to my PC just to be safe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non