Rooted users, TWRP recovery updated v2.2.2.0

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Dumb questions: I'm new to rooting (only been rooted since July). How do you update your recovery? Do you just flash the new ".img" file through fastboot? Do you have to wipe anything first? Do you have to reflash your ROM after? Do your existing nandroids still work?

Thanks in advance.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Dumb questions: I'm new to rooting (only been rooted since July). How do you update your recovery? Do you just flash the new ".img" file through fastboot? Do you have to wipe anything first? Do you have to reflash your ROM after? Do your existing nandroids still work?

Thanks in advance.

Two options (if available)

(1) Flash through fastboot. No wipes, just go to the bootloader and fastboot it.

(2) Flash through recovery. It'll tell you the steps; doesn't hurt to do a cache/dalvik wipe (I do them every time b/c I'm OCD), then you flash it, then you reboot your recovery and boom TWRP.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Two options (if available)

(1) Flash through fastboot. No wipes, just go to the bootloader and fastboot it.

(2) Flash through recovery. It'll tell you the steps; doesn't hurt to do a cache/dalvik wipe (I do them every time b/c I'm OCD), then you flash it, then you reboot your recovery and boom TWRP.

Thanks. So if you flash through fastboot, you just flash the .img file, right?

If you flash through recovery, do you use the .img file or do you need a .zip file?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. So if you flash through fastboot, you just flash the .img file, right?

If you flash through recovery, do you use the .img file or do you need a .zip file?

You'll need a flashable zip, yes. TWRP has been good about providing them for prior releases.

And you're correct re: fastboot.

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, long time no see. Quick question because I'm about to root this thing in the next couple of days (can't take it any longer). Does the gps work properly after rooting and on the custom ROMs? My OG EVOs gps was ruined after I rooted and I never could get it working again. Please tell me this isn't the case because it's the only thing holding me back.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, long time no see. Quick question because I'm about to root this thing in the next couple of days (can't take it any longer). Does the gps work properly after rooting and on the custom ROMs? My OG EVOs gps was ruined after I rooted and I never could get it working again. Please tell me this isn't the case because it's the only thing holding me back.

Yes, it will work fine.

Rooting = file permissions. That's all. No magic. :)

Reactions: CaMelGuY1337

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it will work fine.

Rooting = file permissions. That's all. No magic. :)

Word...I should have been clearer. After the CM team decided to use different gps drivers, that's what borked my gps. Especially since a lot of the ROMs that where made for the EVO were based on CM code the problem spread like wildfire. I'm so glad to hear though that this isn't the case here....can not wait to get some Jellybean on my sexy nexy. :D

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Word...I should have been clearer. After the CM team decided to use different gps drivers, that's what borked my gps. Especially since a lot of the ROMs that where made for the EVO were based on CM code the problem spread like wildfire. I'm so glad to hear though that this isn't the case here....can not wait to get some Jellybean on my sexy nexy. :D

Yeah don't worry, this is a Nexus. It's the best in the business for what you wish to do :).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site

Welcome!!

It might depend on the ROM you're gonna use. I was using maddoggin's JB15 ROM and GPS worked great but after I updated to his JB25 ROM, it wasn't as good.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Good tip... I was just getting ready to update to his newest release.... Maybe I'll hold off :)

daniel2744

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
If you want to use goo manager you can install this and then installopenscript recovery and it should detect your phone toroplus2.2.2.0 I think and twrp should be installed

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87